Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Saturday and Sunday night clubs.

Lost my earlier posting. Blame my eyesight as I sometimes hit the wrong buttons because I still work very fast on the keyboard. It's hard to break the habit of a lifetime. What I was saying was that when I was recovering from my hip surgery in January, and confined to bed, and couldn't sleep, I came across BBC Radio Ulster Saturday and Sunday Night clubs. The programmes are on at 10 pm on both nights for 2 hours. John Bennett is the presenter and he plays lovely music from the 20s, 30s, 40s,, 50s and 60s. I discovered tunes that I had forgotten about, such as "Shrimp Boats are -a -comin'", songs like that. They brought me right back to my childhood, teenage years and so on. John Bennett was a schoolteacher as far as I know, and he is very articulate, but down to earth. He tells stories from his everyday life as well as playing music and the topics are always something I can relate to. It's good to have a radio programme that is entertaining, with good music and chat. Whatever's on TV at 10 pm on Sat and Sun night, I head into my radio in the bedroom. It's a great way to be lulled into sleep - the old tunes relaxing and nostalgic, playing in the background. I hope you can get BBC Radio Ulster and have a listen. You'll be glad you did.