Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ginny Blacks wee shop

We talked about this topic long ago, Ginny Black was a lady who kept a wee shop facing the Dublin Road at the bottom of Chapel Hill. She sold all types of small hardware goods , they were laid out on a low wooden counter in small boxes and she wore an overall and apron I think she closed sometime in the late 50s
donald
Anyone still remember her?

Re: Ginny Blacks wee shop

donald
i still remember her. i lived with my granny in mckeown street and her health wasn't good. she was a patient of doctor mc clelland who had his rooms near there.i used to go to the doctor with her tom

I remember Ginny Black's wee shop. As I remember, the shop was long and big enough. (to my mind as a child). That's my memory of it anyhow. My mother used to go in there and I recall the wooden counters filled with all sorts of crockery and bric-a-brac.

Donald, I'm sure you remember McClenaghan's shop at the top of Wilson Street. That was a great wee shop. It was just an ordinary terraced house with a shop in the front room. When the door went "ping" Mrs McClenaghan would appear from the back room with a tiny dog in her arms. It might have been a Yorkshire Terrier, but she always carried it. The shop sold just about everything and stayed open until around 11 pm. Her husband, Joey, was a nice man too. I remember the lovely home-made ice lollies. They were probably made from fruit juice poured into small containers. There were lovely bright green lollies and red as well as the usual colours. They were delicious. Millers had a shop just across the steet, but it was a cold, bare shop, wooden floors and I very seldom went there. Millers had the chip shop as well, just down the street a bit. You had to order your fish for Friday, because they only bought in what was needed. My aunts always bought fish and chips there on Friday nights.

Ann

I remember both shops, McClenaghens had wares hanging from hooks on the ceiling. I occasionally bought chips in Millers chip shop. Their son-in-law Duncan ran it. He used to beat the Lambeg drum as a hobby and also worked in a Belfast Foundry in Belfast.

Ginny Blacks was where we bought our "Sprickly Begs" when we could afford to, otherwise we used the foot from a discarded nylon stocking from one of our female family members.Not all could afford nylons then as a subsutite suntan colouring could be bought in the Chemist or cold tea was the last resort.

Who remembers that old song, " she´ll be smokin yankee fegs and have suntan on her legs"?

Between McClenaghens and Millers shops was a street, Wilson Street? where a milk man Jack McMaster? had a dairy. He delivered milk with a horse and cart.

Tom,

I remember Dr McClennends surgery, it was on the Hillhall Road, my family called it Dr Wardens as that was who owned it before him, I just checked my birth certificate and saw Dr McCandeles who brought me onto this world at Lisnatrunk in 1944, he was also involved with that surgery.

donald

I guess I was in Ginny Blacks before most of you were born,it used to be the best toy shop in Lisburn. During the war years we used to go in to look at the Dinky toys, remember those little toy cars? One day several of us were in there and she caught one of us who shall be nameless trying to steal one,she gave him a smack on the ear and a lecture??, the shop was later expanded to sell other products. Mauri

I remember Ginny Blacks in Bow St., just like Donald described it. I also remember McCormicks in Bow St.as well, they were similar to Ginny Blacks.

Tom,

Dr.McCandless's surgery was down the Hillhall Rd. down past Turnpike hill on the right hand side. Dr.Warden was his assistant, he took over the practice when Dr.Mcandless retired Daphne McNeill was his secretary......again Memories.

Beano

Beano
Beside McCormicks was a grocers shop, Johnny Carlile?. My mother used to shop there on tick ( she died 1949 ), my brother Eamon lowercase in the pram, me sitting on it.When she had a surplus she sometimes bought us a bun in the bakery facing John Nicholson´s statue in Market Square.
donald

beano, donald et all

dr mcclelland had doctors rooms in bow street directly across from dublin road. it was quite a large building, possibly an old fashioned well off persons house from long ago. bottom of chaple hill i seem to remember railings at the front.
living in mckeown street[ off antrim street] why would an elderly woman visit a doctor on hillhall road?
he probably moved to hillhall road later. i moved out of mckeown street when i started wallace high about 52/53, but before that we used the bow street
rooms.
his name was-dr mcclelland

Tom
I confused Dr McClelland with Dr McCandless who had a practice called Burnbrae on the Hillhall Road Co Down, later taken over by Dr Warden assisted by Dr Ormonde. Mavis Heaney mentioned them in her book "Lisburn, life in the County Down".
Sorry for the confusion
donald

I think I must have been one of Dr Horald MC Clellands first patients in Lisburn he had served in the war and suffered from frost bite in his feet this was around about 1948 or so I also remember him driving one of the first V8Ford Pilots in Lisburn,he was a brillant Doctor I use to have to visit him regularly, when skinning rabbits you were inclined to get a jag with the bone and it turned septic consequently he would pump penicillin into you ,his son then many years later took over the corner shop at Antrim St and Bow St as a Estate Agent sorry to say he died some years ago ,Regards Ted

Donald, Dr McCandless delivered Dominic into this world also. He has a lot of answer for!!!!!!

Ginny Black's shop supplied the canes for the Boys' School. Dominic remembers on one occasion Brendan Fitzpatrick sending him down to collect the canes. (he wasn't popular that day).

I remember McCormick's shop too. As Beano says, it was similar to Ginny Black's.

Do you remember the lemonade bottles with the ceramic top held on by a wire clip? Do you remember kaley suckers, Juicy Fruit chewing gum, pink bubble gum, Beechnut chiclets, XL chewing gum which was supposed to contain maggots. That was the story when we were young, XL chewing gum has maggots. Did you ever? We never bought it anyway.

Ann
those lemonade bottles are still available here today, only they contain beer.If Pamela reads this she may remember the Fitzsimmons family, Dan and Lizzie who lived facing the girls entrance to Hilden school. They used to make and sell toffee apples for 1d each, the sticks was chopped from firewood and the apples were stuck upon them, dipped into a pot or boiling sugar then left to solidify on the enamel board in front of the open fire. We survived.
donald