Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wet, wet, wet.

My reply just disappeared, so I'll try again. I had been saying that the weather here is atrocious for August - rain, grey skies, not warm and I even have the light on in the kitchen as it's so dull.

Today is the 40th anniversary of Elvis' death. The radio has been playing his songs all morning. He was a lovely singer, particularly when performing gospel songs, as he is now. "How great thou Art" - beautiful. On the Sunday after Elvis' death, the priest saying Mass offered up prayers for Elvis. He said that Elvis had given so many people so much pleasure that he felt it appropriate to pray for him. He must have been an Elvis fan too. We'll never see the likes of Elvis again. I hope he's in a happy place.

Re: Wet, wet, wet.

Ann
I remember being on holiday in South Tirol in Italy when we heard about it.
donald

Ann, Here in Southern Ontario we too have been having more rain than usual in summer, although we have also been having some beautiful sunny days with the temperature up in the mid 20sC to day for example a nice blue sunny sky and a temperature of 25c in this area, warmer further south. Mauri

Hi Ann & Mauri,

August hasn't been too bad in the Niagara Region, today it was 28c,tomorrow probably a thunderstorm but still warm.
I haven't been on again for about ten days, spent six of them in Hospital, nothing serious, so I hope to be more active again on the Forum.

Beano

Beano, I hope you're out of hospital again and enjoying your lovely weather. The rain I mentioned isn't far away, although this morning there is a bit of sun, but with clouds promising more rain. In fact, we're expecting to get the tail end of a hurricane coming across the Atlantic from the USA. When I look at news reports from different parts of the world, I always notice the blue skies and wish I was there. However, you're taking a chance now when holidaying in popular places like Spain. I'm sure you all saw the latest attack in Barcelona and then later that same day on an attack in another nearby resort. BUT, life has to go on and we can't let these terrorists dictate our lives.

Mauri, enjoy the sun. You don't know how lucky you are. I can feel autumn in the air already.

Ann, I wish I could but under Doctor's orders to stay out of the sun,usually by this time of the year I would have a tan, maybe next year and to hell with doctor's orders.??? Mauri

Ann,

I noticed on one of your posts you mentioned your Aunt Annie. I just wondered if you saw the photograph of the Netting Dept. on the old photographs dated 1938. An Aunt of Doreen's is in it also Cissie Smith our next door neighbor in Mercer St. another I saw was Maureen Taggart who was later to marry my Dad's youngest brother Sam. I just thought you would like to know.....you may have even seen it already!!!

Beano

Beano / Ann
Those photos were sent in by me some years ago, my aunt Kathleen and Granda Tommy are in them. I still remember my Granda who after retirement, born 1887 and begann working as a "halftimer ) around 1900 worked as a net weaver in the netting department in Hilden mill until his retirement around 1960.The netting maschine had to be operated barefoot!!!! Then as his pension was not sufficent to live on he worked as the park attentant in Hilden playground for another number of years for a wage of around 30 Shillings weekly.It can be seen in the photo from 1939 that he and others had little or no teeth. Those were the days my friend!!!
donald

Wet,Wet,Wet

The title of this post reminds me of that old joke:
If someone is standing in Market Square in Lisburn, it´s raining and he has no hat , no coat or no umbrella, what is his surname?

ANSWER: Bell, because he´s wringing!

It´s the way I tell them!

donald

Beano, I have a copy of that photo somewhere in the house. Maureen Taggart was my cousin. I also met your uncle Sam. They were a lovely couple. Pam

Beano, I must look at the photograph you mention. I think I did see it before but I cannot remember if my aunt Annie (McKeown) was in it or not. I imagine she was as she worked there. I can remember the same aunt talking about a Kathleen Taggart, a girl she was friendly with, and who must have worked in the Netting Dept. too.

The rain is on again, although it only began about half an hour ago. The last dance for the "summer" was held again in Lisburn Square today. Unfortunately, we didn't get to this one. We have a brand pup, just 9 weeks old now. She's a black, miniature schnauzer and has both of us tired out running after her. My son said he would dog-sit to let us get to the dance, but I'm afraid I hadn't the stamina. I'll tell you all about her later. Her name is Suzy and she's just lovely.