Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mackies

Hi Billy ,Donald & All

I worked in Mackies transport ,for 17yrs, and I really enjoyed it ,although ,some other sections of Mackies ,the work was A lot harder .Different experiences . I met some great characters , and had a lot of laughs ,down the years .
Regards to all .
Tommy

Re: Mackies

Refresh my memory, but was there not two Mackie plants,one on the Old Hillsborough Road and one on Young Street or were they combined??, I seem to remember the one on the Old Hillsborough Road manufactured Aircraft wings, this of course was during the second World war or have I got them mixed up??? Mauri

Mackies had 2 factories but they were in Belfast, one on the Springfield Road the other at Woodvale. They origanlly began production in Albert Street Belfast, hence the name "Albert Foundry"
Shorts had a production called Altona on the Hillsborough Road Lisburn and there was another small engineering factory called Carston ?? which was once a weaving factory also in the County Down.

Yes of course I remember Altona now that I heard the name but what was the name of the plant on Young street.Short & Harland also had aircraft manufacturing plants in Long Kesh and Megaberry and a big one near Downpatrick the name of which I cannot remember and of course one at Sydenham in Belfast or was that some other company. Mauri