Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Absence from Lisburn

Hi Pat, Yes I could go a cold beer and my beer fridge is full, however with all the antibiotics I am taking right now will have to wait a few days and then my Physiothapy starts though how long for I don't know as yet.again been treated at home.??

Again my last message vanished.?? I was just saying I find it hard to believe its seventy one years and seven months since I staggered down the Longstone with my oversized suitcase heading to get the Belfast train and then the train to Larne for the Heysham boat to Stranear (probably spelt that wrong) then on to the Navy Recruiting Office in Liverpool.

Except for a few exceptions most of the Forum contributors were probably still at school or even better "Mommy's Babies Mauri

Re: Absence from Lisburn

Morning Mauri, What an exciting journey that must have been ? your head must have been full of what lies ahead, looking back it really was the first step in an adventure that opened a world to you that few of us would ever experience ,and it was always a pleasure when you shared some of that life with us, you were most generous with your recollection's and the time taken, I am just wondering did I pass you that morning with your suitcase coming down the Longstone and me going the opposite way with my schoolbag heading for The Boys School, I was 10 them or there about, Mauri in the meantime keep taken the tablets and do what the nurses tell you , Kind Regards Ted

Hi Ted, I must be going nuts to write Heysham boat to Stranear as obviously it was Larne to Stranear then train to Liverpool.

We probably passed each other often on Chapel Hill as the Boy's School was getting out as I was heading home,didn't they demolish St Joseph's school some time ago? so what happened to the School then??

Still under antibiotic treatment one more day to go then Physiotherpy,starting Tuesday, though for long I don't know yet. Mauri

Morning Mauri,Sorry for taken so long to answer your question regarding the school but I was looking for a photo I took many years ago of workmen demolishing the Big Hall to make room for a new modern parish hall which is built on the same site ,and the hall seems to be used regularly by different parish groups,it is also used for receptions after funerals in Holy Trinity which gives family's somewhere very comfortable to have a chat and afternoon tea after the funeral Mauri I am sure if you go to the old photos on the forum somewhere I posted that photo many years ago ? So if you have nothing better to do browse under the heading "End of an era " and you might find it ,hope this finds you still progressing and do consider a nice black cane with a silver knob it would add a touch of sophistication and yourself and Joy could do a bit of the light fantastic while having an evening stroll,Regards Ted

Ted,"Wow" That sure is a nice looking new hall,must have cost a bomb but I wonder why the old one was demolished and what happened to the school,I am sure there were good reasons for the replacement but am curious as to what they were.???? however thanks for the picture.

I already have a cane from way back but never have used it up to now,nothing fancy though, however if I have to use it permantley might follow your suggestion and splurge on a new one, had a friend from the UK visiting last year and he was carrying a beautifull one. Mauri

Morning Mauri,Regarding the school the whole building had ran it's course ,the toilets were ancient, and two new schools were built on the Ballinderry Rd one a secondary ,the new parish hall is quite impressive and very modern and very welcoming, regarding your choice of cane ,I suppose there is no chance of cutting your self a nice blackthorn out of a hedge ?Regards Ted

Hi Ted, I already have a light blackthorn, just sits in the hallway but can't remember where the heck it came from. Mauri