Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Herrens Alay !

Was in Munich centre just now to get treatment for both knees and called into the fish department of a large supermarket. They had Herrings on offer for €11,90 per Kilo!!!. I bought 6 for €9,50 and when I arrived home with them herself gave me an awful look. I,m only allowed to fry them outside in an electric Payella pan which I bought for this purpose. It brought back memories of the "Herren man " coming around on Friday lunchtime over 60 years ago with his horse and cart , selling Herrings at 2/6 ( half crown ) per dozen and often he threw in one for the cat! "

Re: Herrens Alay !

Donald, I remember him as the Hurn man.

Pamela
Donald, I remember him as the Hurn man.

Pamela
and do you remember his cry, "Hurns alay"?
We as boys ran behind him and completed this with " Frish an stinkin, come to the cart an see them blinkin"!
Ask joe he may remember this.
donald

Donald, that made me laugh.

Donald, how are the knees doing since getting the treatment? Donald, I wonder was that man selling the herrings actually called out, "Herrings alive". To me it also sounded like "Hurns allay".

Ann
The treatment is starting to work, will take another 3 weeks hopefully then I,m finished. Riding my e bike daily it is unbeliveable how good it is.
donald

Ann
Donald, how are the knees doing since getting the treatment? Donald, I wonder was that man selling the herrings actually called out, "Herrings alive". To me it also sounded like "Hurns allay".

Another cry I remember was the newspaper boys who sold the Belfast Telegraph from under their arms, it sounded like "de six"!
donald

Re: Herrings Alay !

Ann, Regarding herrings I was wondering if you have been to the market recently and noticed any local herrings in ,this would be the season when the Ardglass should be landing and I really would enjoy 3-4 fried and a couple of boiled beetroot and to hell with poverty throw a soda farl in as well ,please confirm yes I live in hope Regards Ted

Ted, the Ardglass herrings are in the market. I bought r ready prepared ones yesterday. I ate one just as it was and it tasted scrumptious. I had another one just now with bread and butter, again mouth watering. Ted, what is the season for Ardglass herrings?

Ann / Ted
are the Herrings potted or must you do it yourself? I,m in the Viktualenmarkt tommorow in Munich but have strong instructions from herself not to bring any raw Herrings home. If they are on offer, fileted, smoked, cured and with a sauce , housewives style, that,s Whey, apple and onion slices, to be eaten with boiled poatoes then I may bring some.
donald

Hi, Donald, Obviously you have been to the market and back, I didn't see your message till just now as I had turned off the computer as I had reason to think I had been hacked? however, it was a false alarm, Donald if herself has stated categorically that fresh herrings are not to be cooked on the veranda that's it but you seem to have a choice of prepared fillets especially the apple & Onion accompaniment seems very interesting, as for myself I like buying them whole and I bone them by hand and cover them with porridge oats and fried in a hot pan, simplicity itself, other than that I Pot them in vinegar see Forum recipes where I added the one Felix Elmore used in the 50s and it can't be improved on,
Do mind the bones! Ted

Ted

arrived in the market around 10,30am, bought 2 cured herring baps with onion slices on the top. Accompanied by a half litre or two of good Bavarian beer they tasted excellent. shortly before leaving I bought 5 cured herring filets which , accompanied by a pot of sauce houswife style for €4,99 will be ate tomorrow at lunch time with spuds boild in their jackets.
Kate and Will, with their kids are being enterained at the moment in Germany, Angie and her politicans are showing them the German way of life.

Wonder how the poor people are keeping?

donald

Good Morning Donald, from a very wet and overcast Belfast,your description of a Bap filled with herring fillet and onion sounds interesting ,simple,easy to handle,and the added beer would no doubt knock the edge of your appetite God bless it,Regarding the visit of members of our Royal family I last night saw them rowing in Heidelberg ,on my recent short visit to the Vaterland At one point we were only a few kilometers from there and I would have loved to have visited it but time was of the essence regretfully maybe next time,you know Donald a guy I use to deal with Hawks fish here in Lenadoon today I might just see if he has local herrings in the van and paloute the working kitchen later?Regards Ted,

Ted
waiting for the spuds to boil then we will eat the Matjes ( Maiden in English) filets.with the houswife sauce . Herself drinks a mixture of minerel water and apple juice , I will have a half litre of Perlenbach beer from Lidl ( €0,29). It tastes every bit as nice as the much more expensive ones. Tonight we will go to an Augustiner Biergarten. We bring our own food along as that is allowed here in Bavaria. Beer and other drinks must be bought there. Maybe I will buy a charcoal grilled Mackerel and a giant Pretzel.
Prosit
donald

May God Bless Your Appetite , Bon Appetite

Ted
Last Sunday I hit my leg against the saddle when mounting my e-bike, my knee was a little painful and slightly blue.I applied some special cream to reduce the swelling. This afternoon I went on my bike to a small waterfall near my home which has been built by the Munich Council as a Kneipp water cure for swollen legs etc. Upon removing my socks and shoes to paddle in the water I was shocked that my right foot was black and swollen as this morning it was normal.. I rode back home and herself said I would be advised to go to the local hospital.They X-rayed my leg and said not to worry it was nothing serious, time would heal it.To celebrate this I called on my way home into a Biergarten and had a litre of Augustiner.
www.kneipp.com/us_en/natures-expert/water-cure/
donald

Morning Donald,There must have been a slight panic when you saw the foot ,especially when it was your knee that came in contact with the bike ? Anyhow it's great that it ended up all right,Donald maybe that's a wee holy well you visited ?were you able to get your leg over for the return journey OK,as for myself it's been a while since I last road a bike,I often promised myself to borrow my son's bike and have a spin up the Line some evening and sit a while on MC Connels hill just for old times sake and if I'm up to it a wee spin round the looneys if I could find them now , and stale a cabbage or a turnip out of Gillelands field on the way home like we did many years ago coming from the Brainel (Wee was poor)It was good advise from herself on a visit to the hospital,in my day if I complained to my Mum about such an accident her response would have bee "Son it's far from your **** you have to sit on it " sympathy didn't come easy ?Donald hang in there ,Regards Ted

Ted
I can only highly recommend an E-Bike. My daughter gave me hers as she didn´t need it anymore and I have become almost addicted to getting out on it. Only problem is when I´m riding past a Biergarten it takes a sharp turn in and I get a light head and have to stop and sit down. The waitress thinks I want to order a litre of beer and brings it automaticaly to my table.
donald