Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old sayings and games

An old saying has recently polluted my mind and I cannot let it go.
It is "sick as a dog and throwing up Babby Dishes".
Am I really going mad?
HELP
LR - I think.

Re: Old sayings and games

LR
If I remember correctly "Babby Dishes" were small pieces of broken delpfh , used as cash by girls playing shopping. That brings back memories for me also from over 60 years ago
donald

donald
LR

If I remember correctly "Babby Dishes" were small pieces of broken delpfh , used as cash by girls playing shopping. That brings back memories for me also from over 60 years ago

donald

Donald,
You are "dead-on" about the babby dish and its uses.
I have, since posting. spoken to another ancient from my past and have been asked to amend the saying to read as follows "sicky bad and throwing up babby dishes".
I hope this claries the saying for those 20+ souls who looked in and no doubt had thoughts about the sanity of the poster.
You may now reply to an authenticated version.

LR

Hi all,

Talking of old sayings what about ,AS SICK AS A DOG,as our dog is very seldom sick,but in my day dogs ran free,were fed scraps, bones & any thing they could scrounge from the shop's etc.

Now I wonder if vets were as busy with dogs as now & also wonder how our oLD dogs lived.

They used to wandet off To die,or so we were told. No mourning then,,another one trotted along with the gang,we accepted all as normal.

How a dog,s life has changed, I know Finn is the picture of health,getting overweight again with titbits,a great pal.

Pat

Talking of old saying, do you remember "It's teeming"; "I'm goin' out to get my head showered!; what about "will you 'keep dick for me'. There's loads more but too early for me to remember them just now.

yir heds cut

Donald, "Catch herself on".

away a that wi yi

who remembers playing "fut in the bucket", " roarin spoutins", "shootin marleys"?
donald

I remember them all Donald.Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.

Hop Scotch on the pavement; skipping in the street; French skipping; playing ball (sometimes 4-balls) against someone's wall; skittles; hoops; walking on 2 cans with cord through them, we called these 'stilts'. tops and whips. (I can't spell "piries"). chasing; hide and seek; secrets; (secrets would have been a girl's game I think.) We gathered small flowers, dug a hole, planted them in the ground and covered them with a piece of glass from a broken milk bottle. I don't think we ever went back to look at them again. Queenie, Queenie, who's got the ball; Statues. Great games involving sometimes almost the whole of Leamington, including the "big girls".

Ann
Halloween, going from house to house, singing and begging!
donald

Stealing flowers from somebody's garden and selling them round the doors!

The King of all the games was "CHURCHIE" played the corner of Leamington on either side of the street. Teams usually of six. Pity on the one who collapsed or,even worse, fell off. A game played by all sexes.
Kat and Kittley played again at our corner but floated up and down Leamington until one of our mothers (usually mine!!!!) came out and chased us.
"Those were the days my friend,
We thought they'd never end"

LR

At Easter we either went to the Castle Gardens to "trunnel our eggs" beside the Cannon with our parents and Aunts or later we marched as a group to the "glens" and Braniel at Hillhall, lit bonfires and climbed trees and explored the area. On the way there we stopped to buy 5 Woodbine at the wee shop ( Fergason?) facing the deserted POW camp which later become Hillhall school.
I still rememder the Braniel Hall being built, my mother (1949+) and Aunt May peeping inside and later Hillhall school sometime in the early 50s.
donald

another fond memory is going by bus to Newcastle with the EMB Boys Club, we were gicen a bag containing buns and sandwiches, together with a bottle of lemonade to consume on the bus and later we were given lunch at Sir Milne Barbour´s daughter´s residence in one of the outhouses and shown around the estate. Lowroader you are too young so you would probably not remember this treat.

donald

Donald
I remember going to Castle Gardens would have been 1949/50 to roll our eggs, was snowing, but we still did it and ate them to.

Roy
such a long time ago, seems like yesterday
donald

donald
another fond memory is going by bus to Newcastle with the EMB Boys Club, we were gicen a bag containing buns and sandwiches, together with a bottle of lemonade to consume on the bus and later we were given lunch at Sir Milne Barbour´s daughter´s residence in one of the outhouses and shown around the estate. Lowroader you are too young so you would probably not remember this treat.

donald

I never had the pleasure of enjoying one of these trips (I believe the
family who gave the party was the Smith family in Newcastle)but I certainly spent quite a few Boys Club camps in Newcastle.
Thank you for the age reference, I will not make any further comment in case Letitia invites me to a Tea Dance (at her age too ).

LR

Only remember trundling my egg in the Castle Gardens once and that was either just before the 2nd World war started or just after. 1949-50 brings back memories of when serving on the battleship HMS Vanguard and the world tour of the Royal Family was cancelled we were sent to the Mediteranean for six months based in Malta but visited every important port in the Med. Finished out the year on the aircraft carrier HMS Indefatigable then in July 1950 transferred to the Australian Navy joining the aircraft carrier HMAS Sydney in Portsmouth,doing flying exercises around the UK including a visit to Belfast to pick up new aircraft. Sailed from Portsmouth for Australia in September 1950. "Memories" Mauri

I remember trunnelling my egg in the Castle Gardens, up near the cannon. There is a small hill there and that's where we went. But, better than the egg, I remember I had a lovely straw Easter bonnet. l was young of course, about 7 or 8, and I thought this bonnet was just the thing. It had flowers round the rim and I just thought it was beautiful. Simple pleasures.

Hi All,

Do you remember saying "mammy can I have a bikkie"

Beano

Hi Billy &All

Did you ever have the knerps,