Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bring back the wee blue beg

Here´s my last attempt to reactivate the forum.
Who remembers potato crisps up until the middle 50s? When you opened them you had to shake the bag until a small blue twist of salt came to the top, you opened it and shook the contents over the crisps. Later then came pre- salted products, cheese and onion were the first. Someone then wrote a poem "Bring back the wee blue beg"!
Pity the forum has died as it offered some very interesting topics over the years.
Goodbye all, nice knowing all of you
donald

Re: Bring back the wee blue beg

Morning Donald,Sad one really ,fair play to you for keeping it ticking over and I'm aware I am as guilty as the next one for not contributing recently as inspiration seems non existent at the moment from everyone. In the meantime if I hear any news you will be the first to hear,regarding the blue bag I buy a brand of crisps called Kettles slightly salted which I prefer then add a little more salt to give me the acquired taste,however Smith's original crisps with the blue bag still sticks in my mind they were gorgeous, Kind Regards Ted

Donald,
I have just spoken to Ann who told me of the situation.
I have not been active now for some time, but would be sad to see the demise of the forum, that has given me so much enjoyment over the years.
I will do my best to contribute more.
LR

Hello playmates (as Arthur Askey used to say)

I have been guilty too of neglecting the Forum,but due to family circumstances recently, not to mention knee aftercare,etc,my mind was not on it.

Summertime is always slack,tho, no scarcity of viewers I notice,so no doubt we will be back,in force come Winter.

Hoping ever one is well however,or as well as can be expected at some of our ages. Old age pains & aches has nothing to recommend it,but we will carry on regardless.

Greetings to all,especially Mauri & Beano,Low Roader etc & thanks to Donald for geeing us up.

Promise to be on again soon. Pat

Hallo all
nice to see replies.
The Paulaner Brewery has moved from the centre of Munich to the outskirts where I live. On Saturday they held a visitors day and herself and I went. It was amazing to see the production lines operating with almost no personnel. Even the fork lifts operated alone. On a Seminar about 30 years ago I remember hearing that a firm was measured on how many employees it had, today only profit counts.
donald

Donald this is the second time this has come up in as many days, the amount of automation is frightening and the quality and quantity that these Robots produce is from another world, how far this has come on since 1955_56 when I labored in Luton digging foundations for this up and coming thing called automation in Vauxhall, Regards Ted

Hi Everyone,

Thank you Donald for the awakening.I have been away for a considerable time from the Forum and I have to say I missed it. I joined the Forum back in 2004/5,since then, some wonderful memories have come up and we all participated. I thank you all for your support over the years for various things. I will try to contribute again like I used to.

Beano

Beano,

GLAD to hear from you again, we will all keep in touch as time is marching on, so we will make the most of it.

Regards to Doreen & that great daughter of yours ,Daddy,s girl definitely,you ar a lucky pair to be living peacefully with her, it is great to see a United family.

Looking forward to a full Forum again with all the original members,where are all the flowers gone.?

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thank you for the nice comment re. Karen,she is one in a million. We have shared many happy and sad times together, Karen has been a pillar of strength to Doreen and myself through it all.

I met a gentleman the other day called Anthony O'Neill he has been in Canada since 1958, his hometown was CahirSiveen (spelling?)in Co Kerry.
What a great character he was, he loved Ireland, but he has no family back there, so he hasn't been to Ireland in over 30 years.....Sad.

Beano

Hi Pat,

Just after I posted my previous post my computer shut down. After being away from the forum for awhile...this happened. I just got it back, turns out, I had been hacked, this is a big worry as I do all my banking online. I have just cancelled my credit card, it will be replaced complete with new password. I also changed my bank password, so hopefully there will be no more problems.

Ted, Donald & Ann,

I really enjoyed your chat about "Herrins Alay" especially with reference to Felix Elmore's potted herrings I could almost taste them, it is many a long day since I had one....enjoy them while you can.

Beano

Morning Beano,Good to here from you it's belting down outside so I'm still in the scratcher, sorry to here you got hacked hope you weren't at a loss of anything, it's an awful experience when this happens as no later than Wednesday evening I got a pop up on the screen while on Facebook no less to inform me I had been hacked and my personal details had been discovered and they wanted me to ring a presented number to stop this imedeatly otherwise my computer would close down,it was a con but it was a period of great panic at that moment, since I now understand they wanted my phone number and other info if they had obtained these they might have done some damage,but thank God all's well that ends well,Beano regarding the Potted herrings Felix sold hundreds of them some people brought there are bowls in rather than have them parceled up but they also asked for a drop of the grave poured over them as well!were we cooked them was in a big Baker's oven and there would from memory about four dozen in a tin,but they were fabulous coming steaming out of the oven consequently we use to lift a herring from the top row knock the one below and gently replace the top one back it was crispy on top were the bottom one was saturated with vinegar and would have burned the bake off you,Beano I can still smell them,Good Luck Ted