Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Island in the Sun

When the sun shines in Ireland, there's no place in the world to compare. Yesterday (Father's Day) was just one of those days. Our family were either working or on holiday, so we had the day to ourselves. We didn't do very much except enjoy the beautiful weather. Dominic pottered about in the garden and I must confess to taking full advantage of the sun. It was quiet and apart from a visit from one of our granddaughters, we didn't see anyone at all. If we could only have this weather more often, wouldn't it be wonderful. Today looks like more of the same. However, instead of relaxing on the deck, I will once again get on with the painting.

The garden looks well, we're both in fairly good health, so we can't complain. As Donald and Ted were remarking in the previous post, our parents and grandparents had hard lives. If they returned now and saw all the changes, they would think they were back in paradise. Just on the topic of hard lives, there's a story in our family of how my grandmother walked from Lisburn to Ballynahinch to borrow a shilling from her mother to buy food for the family. Changed times, some for the better, some not. I wonder what life will be like in another 100 years. Will our descendants look back and lament that we had a hard time?. Could be. One thing's for sure, we'll never know.