Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Donald's Knees

Donald, you're a very lucky man that you don't need surgery. As Pamela says, losing a bit of weight will help. Easy to say, harder to do, but definitely better than knee replacement surgery. Start walking!!!!!!!!

Re: Donald's Knees

Ann, Pamela,
Herself has forbidden me to lose more weight, she has now a problems to find me in bed as I can hide between two creases in the sheet. Serious I am automatically losing a few kilos as my appetite is not so as it was in younger years. Thank goodness though my thirst for good German beer is still there. Beer is here in Bavaria classified as foodstuff and has only 9% VAT in comparison to other non food goods with 18%. Yesterday I was in the local hospital for a routine yearly test for a Lymph illness which was diagnosed 6 years ago and it was positive thank goodness, next Friday I have an appointment for my half yearly checkup for bladder and prostate gland.
I was just thinking in younger years you met your friends in the pub or at weddings and christnings now we meet ín the doctor´s surgery or at funerals.
donald

Donald, you're right in what you say. Another thing I notice is the amount of appointments I receive. Not for hair or manicures but dental, optical, dietitan (for IbS), and physio. Not good but we're still above ground.

Ann and Donald, Will you two give over, you have me crying my eyes out. You know what they say, if you can feel pain you know you are still alive.How about a wee get together in Wetherspoons, that would cheer us all up. What do ya say.

Pamela, I haven't forgotten about getting in touch. As you may have read, we're busy painting (when the weather permits). Between that and trying to do the garden, it's a busy time. I look forward to meeting up soon.

Me too Ann. Hope it is sooner rather than later. We are not getting any younger you know.

Pamela, who says?

Don´t need new knees thank goodness but I have to give a few bob out for private treatment which includes injections to fill up the holes in the knee pads. Don´t mind though if it helps ease the pain. Have to wear a support stocking for a while as my left leg contains water and am receiving Lymp drainage treatment and knee theraphy massages. Getting old is not always pleasent but the alternative is less attractive.
Checking the internet now to see which Biergarten have Ompa Ompa music today, herself and I may go , buy a beer and keep it in front of ourselves to pass ourselves. If Eamon lowercase reads this he will be extremely envious not being among his likable German companions.
donald

Donald, I hope you both had a good day. Cloudy this morning (what's new) but it is forecast to clear up in the afternoon. We'll never get the painting finished at this rate.

Ann
the weather here has been really hot for the last week, today being an exception, it rained all day. Herself and I had planned to go to an Augustiner Biergarten today for a Mackerel from grill, spare ribs and a liter or two of Augustiner beer to swill them down but everywhere was closed due to the bad weather. Maybe tomorrow we can catch up. If Eamon lowercase reads this no doubt he will be jealous and envious having to make do with Weatherspoon´s.
WHERE IS EVERYONE?
donald

Donald, glad to see you're alive and well. We drove into Hilden Village yesterday on our way home from the Giant's Ring. The town houses look well, with different coloured doors, and are fully occupied. Mill Street is still being re_built. Pity they closed Hilden School.

ann
Donald, glad to see you're alive and well. We drove into Hilden Village yesterday on our way home from the Giant's Ring. The town houses look well, with different coloured doors, and are fully occupied. Mill Street is still being re_built. Pity they closed Hilden School.

Ann
not only the school, the mill would have been an ideal place for a Hotel, a museum and a social centre.
donald

Donald, I read in the paper recently that the mill has been re-sold. I wish something was done with that large site, even though I will be sad if and when the old mill is knocked down. Pat and I have so many good memories of our time working there.

We had a lunch break of three quarters of an hour. In that short time, Pat and I would rush home, through the wee park, have a quick lunch, maybe run up to Hill's Shop for a few groceries for the dinner, sometimes put a wash out if the weather was good, and then be back at our desks on time. O to be young again. As Oscar Wilde said so accurately, "Youth is wasted on the young". True.

By the way, Donald, I think we may start on another heading as this has absolutely nothing to do with Donald's Knees.

Ann

to return to my knees I am having treatment, on Monday I will start the injection course, 5 times on the right knee then hopefully the left. Have to get myself fit for the Oktoberfest, downing Augustiner beer and and dancing upon the tables. Must get my "Lederhosen" out and dry cleaned for the occasion. If Lowercase comes over we will go daily,I believe he is practising his German so to be able to speak to his favourite race, sing German songs and "knees up" in the Augustiner tent.

donald

Donald, I know the injections will help, so you'll be feeling better soon. However, let us have the summer first before you start talking about the Octoberfest. This week has been poor and today even mor so. Lucky enough, I have a hair appointment in the afternoon so that will take up a couple of hours. Then I might go into the Mall for a dander about. (exciting or what!!). Next week Dominic has a cataract operation on his right eye. The left eye op will follow shortly. All these old age complaints. Hearing gone, eyesight poor, liver spots, old hands. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of my hands in a mirror and I think, "That old hand can't be mine". Unfortunately, it is. Ah well, could be worse. At least, we have our marbles and that's the main thing I think. Bettr go, cup of tea just made.

Ann
the preparations for the Oktoberfest have started already, beer tents being erected and tables being reserved, the safety fence to prevent terrorists from smuggling explosives in and search cabins are also in erection. Last year was the first time in 47 years that I did not go out as the whole fun has been taken out of what once was a wonderful outing.
donald

Donald, I'm surprised at you! It is a changing world, and at a fast rate, it is scary, however security has to happen now especially at very large events such as the Fest. Just think if security wasn't there what might happen. We always think it won't happen to us, but it could. Enjoy the best of life and go, man go!

Blessings
Liz

Liz
getting older is not always simple, the Oktoberfest was always something to look forward to but now not so. For most visitors who arrive with no reservations it is almost impossible to get a seat as they are mostly reserved and those which are not are offered by the waiters to groups of young persons who the waiters expect will drink a lot. Persons with young children and those with disabled friends and family in wheelchairs find it even more difficult. Ask your relations who live here, they can confirm this. I am lucky as I still have some friends who work in the tents and can approach them and get a seat even if only for a short time. From midday until about 4.pm the demand is not so great but evenings you would find a diamond on the street before a seat in one of the tents.
donald

Sorry to hear that Donald, what a shame. I am glad to have been there a number of years ago, we did find seats inside a big tent. It was something I have have never witnessed before. We will probably not see it again. we did love the Art Galleries in Munich, best I have ever seen, especially the Rubins. Lovely city as well though we probably won't go back again. You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful city.

Liz
true, Munich is a beautiful city, also the whole area surrounding it and Italy, Austria and Switzerland are quite near.The people here are very friendly and welcome non Germans. Before I came here I remember talking to someone in norniron about moving to the Vaterland. He replied " If you want to live in Germany then Munich should be your choice"!Only hope Lowercase when he reads this does not get envious as this is his favourite country and he really loves the German people.
donald