Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Listening to the radio

John Bennett has a radio programme on Radio Ulster every Saturday and Sunday night from 10 pm until midnight. I found out about it when I was recovering from my hip replacement, lying in bed at night in pain. He was a great distraction for me then and I was glad of the lovely old tunes he played. I have since continued to listen when I can.

Last night, in between music, he was remembering the old names people used to come out with. Such as Skiboo, Big Aggie's Man, yer man, and others which I now forget. Oh, another one was "Skinny m'links, melodann legs". He also mentioned "Kilroy was Here" which used to be written just about everywhere. Apparently it was an American GI who began this and it just took off. I wish I could remember all the other sayings. Pamela listens too so maybe she will add some more.

The music he plays is very much suited to most of us on the Forum. All the old, lovely tunes from yesteryear which bring back oodles of memories, some sad, some nostalgic but all greatly enjoyed..

Re: Listening to the radio

Ann, Still listen to John Bennett, and I'm going to put in a request for you one of these weeks. Listening to him recalling old names made me think of another old friend. If she calls at our house and we are not in she puts a note through the letterbox { Skaboo was here. } Her calling card you could say. Pam

I used to listen to the radio quite a lot while at sea in the Merchant Navy. In fact bought myself a lovely portable radio in Southampton to take to sea with me and having it going in my cabin always attracted some of my mates to listen to the Merchant Navy family request programme

I had this radio for some time until one trip when I was on a BP tanker running between Indian ports and the Persian Gulf and one time we were unloadiing in Cochin, and at the last minute I decided to go ashore, but as I had not requested a pay advance before we arrived was nearly broke, so when a couple of Indian refinery workers passing my open cabin door and saw the radio they offered to buy it as they were unobtainable in India I sold it to them for twice what I had paid for it in the UK and in no time I was off ashore with a couple of other guys to live it up. Mauri

Ann and Pamela, one of the things I miss about being down here in Devon, is John Bennett especially on a Sunday evening when I used to sit up late and listen. Many's the time he made me shed a tear as he played something from the 50's that I remembered and hadn't heard for decades. I used to be able to receive the channel on TV, in Cambridgeshire but the TV we had went to the dump when we moved as it was ancient. Got a great new big TV now, but a different provider, and cannot get the channel at all. Boo, hoo!

Liz, You can get radio Ulster on free view channel 719. Hope this helps. Pam

I'll certainly try Pamela, thanks!