Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Asparagus and Rhubarb season

Home grown asparagus and rhubarb are now on sale here, much cheaper than previous years. Asparagus can be bought for around €8, rhubarb for €3 per Kilo. Looking forward today to asparagus with new potatoes, a selection of cooked and cured ham, Sauce Hollandise followed by rhubarb crumble.
Happy Easter Monday all
donald

Re: Asparagus and Rhubarb season

Happy Easter to all. Donald, I wondered why you hadn't been on. Missed your postings. I've been under the weather with a nasty bout of diverticulitis. I'm on antibiotics so am on the road to recovery now. However, no rhubarb orasparagus for me. My diet now is rubbish and I miss my veg and some fruit. However, what to do? No chocolate either.

Ann
hope you get well soon enough to enjoy the asparagus and rhubarb season.
We are planning our next break to Bibione near Venice, it´s a 5 hour drive down through Austria and Italy, maybe we will stop for a day or two on our way down at Lake Garda. I read that the water quality is not everywhere top and only bottled water should be drank to be sure.
donald

God Bless Your Appitite Donald,Hope your Easter is going well,Do go easy on the Rhubarb especially on long car journeys,Regards to all,Ann sorry to read of your wee problem but glad you are on the mend otherwise ,hope your appetite returns soon Regards to Dominic,Ted

Thanks Ted and Donald
Wish I was visiting Italy
Can't see any ign of it soon

Have a good holiday and safe journey.

Do you remember buying the rhubarb from Mc Ilroys, pulled straight from the garden. Then cooked with freshy made hot custard on top. StiLL LOVE IT.

I remember climbing over the wall from Hilden school and stealing it from the first house in Crafton Cresent, then stealing some sugar at home from the sugar bowl to dip it into

Donald, I forgot about dipping the rhubarb in sugar. Yum Yum Mind you I didn't pinch it out of Flanigans garden. You wee waster you .Pam

Pamela
I think the family were called Williamson, the grandfather (John?) was a manager in the Netting Dept.Later he always walked about Hilden and the surrounding area.
donald

Hi Donald, When I was wee The Flanigans lived in that house. Mind you din't tell anyone that i'm older than you, they might even believe you. Cheers Pam

I remember dipping stalks of rhubarb into sugar and eating it. I though it was lovely. Does anyone remember bread and butter and sugar sandwiches? I can remember bread and butter and brown sauce sandwiches,too. God, we were poor and didn't know it. My mother use to buy pressed ham as opposed to cooked ham, because the pressed ham was cheaper. I hated it. Do you remember the fish paste sandwiches too. I loved them, nice and tasty. Another great snack was a thick chunk of unsliced bread and jam. This was called a "piece" and you ran out to play with the "piece" in your hand. Happy days.

Doesn't it seem like a hundred years ago! And where the world is heading to is beyond what I want to think about!