Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Life (and death)

Vera Lynn is 100 today. And a great old Rock'n'roll icon died at 90 this weekend. I know that you Lisburn people of my generation will remember both.

Re: Life (and death)

Hi Dabbler. Good to hear from you. Chuck Berry, RIP, brilliant rock and roll artist. I loved watching his "duck walk". He was a rock and roll star before we even knew what it meant. I never was fond of Vera Lynn as a singer. I know she did great work during the war entertaining the troops and that is to her credit. However, even last night I was listening to a programme and they played Vera Lynn singing "The White Cliffs of Dover". I didn't change my mind about her voice as I still think it very loud and coarse. Each to his own. She's lived to a grand old age.

Do you know who will be at least 100 this year? Olivia de Havilland. I think she retired to France.

Hi Dabs,

Glad to see you are still on the Forum, hope you are well these days.

Loved Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" I liked her voice, she was a favourite with the troops.

Happy Birthday Vera. Pat

I really liked Vera Lynn singing especially the old World War 11 songs like "Lily Marlene,White Cliffs of Dover" etc. Way back in 1967 Canada was celebrating its 100th anniversary when I went to see a Military Tattoo in Toronto, suddenly the lights went out and we heard the voice of Vera and when the lights came back on she was standing in the back of a military vehicle singing away, such a surprise as nobody knew she would be appearing. Nearly brought the house down.??. Mauri

Vera Lynn reminds me of my wartime childhood. She now lives a relatively short distance from me in a village called Ditchling. I would feel very privileged to meet this lovely old lady who had the voice of an angel.
Chuck Berry was the epitome of rock'n'roll. I laughed listening to him sing My Dingaling.