Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paddy´s Day in Munich

Today, (always the Sunday before 17th March )Paddys Day was celebrated in Munich, the main street was closed for 2 hours to allow the Pats and their friends to march. The Burgermeister led in a horse-drawn waggon and the procession ended with a Oktoberfest horse drawn delivery waggon from Augustiner Brewery used only for the Oktoberfest.Scotsch, American, English, Bavarian National costume and dance clubs were also there so it was an International event.
donald

Re: Paddy´s Day in Munich

Donald, sounds wonderful. Did you have a beer or several to celebrate? We're going to a pub that will be playing Irish music and no doubt Dominic will enjoy a few Guinness. We'll have a meal there too.

Ann
We could not get near the beer stands as there were so many people instead we went to the nearby wine house and had a glass of wine each and a half litre of mineral water. We were on our way out when the Munich Irish consulate Mr Erich J. Lejeune, Honorary Consul General walked in and took a seat. We had seen him earlier in one of the horse drawn coaches in the parade.
donald

I hate the saying "St.Paddy's" day......Doreen and myself are invited to a wedding on St.Patrick's day, Siobhan Flynn the youngest granddaughter of my oldest friend is getting married, we are really looking forward to it.

Beano

Just read a notice on the main notice board in the Lobby, that there will be a get together in the lounge room on St Patricks day and everybody is to bring their own beverage and appetiser. Maybe I'll go half canned with a bottle of "Old Busmills" and sing the "Green Glens of Antrim"????. Mauri

Going to fast so left out the h in "OLD BUSHMILLS" my apologies. Mauri

Mauri, that's the first time in 51 years that I have seen reference to
"the green Glens of Antrim"
I play it on the piano all the time here (SC) and no one has a clue.
My family and myself are from Ballygally and Cairncastle.
When I get sentimental that's were I go.
Allen

Beano, I don't like St Patrick's Day called Paddys Day either. I hope you have a great day at the wedding. Well all be joined in spirit (whatever kind) on 17th. Pat has her birthday then so always has a great day. At present she's in Killarney, being treated to a pre_surgery treat. Mauri, enjoy your Bushmills.

Hello Caroline. "Far across yonder blue lies a true fairyland" Love it myself.

Donald, oooooooo!!!!

Yes Allen, Its quite the number, I love the recording of Bridie Gallagher singing it?? What part of SC are you in,?? long time ago we used to go to Myrtle Beach and when in the USAF was at Shaw AFB a few times. Also whereabouts in Antrim are the two places you mentioned and my apologies for my ignorance. Have a Great Day. Mauri

Hi Allen,

I sang "The Green Glens of Antrim" in an Irish Pub in Charleston SC a few years ago along with The "Star of The Co.Down". I don't remember the name of the pub, it was a large place and all decked out in Irish paraphenalia, I do know the Irish bread they served left a lot to be desired, that's putting it mildly.
Love both Charleston and Myrtle Beach, I have been there a few times.

Beano

Hello Mauri,
I am South of Charleston on a barrier island named Edisto.(Google it.)
We recently went through hurricane Mathew with extensive damage..but recovering. Myrtle beach is north by three hours drive and that's where Shaw was. It has been closed, along with the Charleston shipyard and we all survived.
Now as far and wide as you have been I can't believe you haven't been
in Ballygally Castle, hotel. It's up the coast road from Larne a few miles.
Cairncastle is a "townland" up the road from the Castle.(to the left, going north,smile)
There is a shell of a cottage left up the road, where my Grandfather grew up. There is a beautiful little Christ Church.(once again google
Cairncastle)and as it's tomorrow, these were the Glens and Hills where
St Patrick reputedly tended his sheep.
Wishing everyone a happy St Patrick's day.

Carolina Irish. (Allen)

Hello Beano,
You must have been in "Tommy Condon's). That's the only thing close to an Irish pub south of New York, and it's really an excuse?
Also, you can't get "Irish bread" here. We as a family tried for many, many years to bake some, never happened. My mother swore it was the flour..and I believe she was correct.
Last time we had real soda bread, my aunt brought it over in 1971.
She also brought sausage and bacon. Guess what..it was lost in flight.
However it did arrive and I retrieved it at 4:00am from the airport, brought it home and cooked all of it before it spoiled, we even let our neighbors have some.
Have a good St Patrick's day y'all.
Allen.

Read this in Irish News online just now, Is it truth or just a scam?

Donald

An academic has called for St Patrick's Day festivities to be extended, to celebrate the patron saint's long-forgotten wife Sheelah.

Shane Lehane, of University College Cork, said Ireland's premier national saint had an "other half" who for centuries used to be commemorated by "merry devotees" on March 18.

The folklorist came across Mrs St Patrick while scouring Irish newspapers from before the Great Famine, which contained intriguing references to Sheelah's Day.

"So I wondered where this came from," he said.

"I came across numerous references that Sheelah was thought to be Patrick's wife. She was his other half."

He added: "St Sheelah's Day was news to me. I thought it was amazing, as all memory of her seems to have died out here."

The historian and lecturer at the university's Department of Folklore uncovered further evidence in old texts which showed Ireland's national day of celebration traditionally spilled over into the next day.

An excerpt from John Carr's 1806 travelogue The Stranger in Ireland records "very tipsy" St Patrick's Day revellers around the country who "continue drunk the greater part of the next day" all in honour of "Sheelagh, St Patrick's wife".

Mr Lehane said the forgotten date on the old Irish calendar should be revived.

"What I think is very interesting is that people in Ireland in the past had no problem whatsoever accepting that Patrick had a wife," he said.

"The church was very strong and during the period of Lent from Ash Wednesday right through to Easter Sunday you had major prohibitions.

"However, folk tradition was such that Patrick afforded a special dispensation and Irish people were allowed to celebrate Patrick's day which always fell in the middle of Lent.

"It seems to have been extended to the 18th of March and was a continuation of celebrations.

"They continued to drink on Sheelah's day and there is a sense that the women were more involved in the celebrations on the 18th. So there is a feminist angle in there."

We had a very enjoyable St Patrick's Day. We went to a restaurant/bar in the afternoon where music was being played. The place was packed and there was a lot of green on display. I wore a dark green blouse with an emerald green cardigan, but others wore green hats, huge green glasses and the atmosphere was brilliant. The pub was in Moira and this wee village would put Lisburn to shame as regards entertainment, not only today, but any weekend. We had a great day.

Mauri.
Love The Green Glens of Antrim.
My home.

Allen, Re your comment that that Irish pub was the only one south of New York, believe it or not but when I was stationed a McDill Air Force Base in Tampa Florida back in the mid fifties there was an Irish bar not too far from the base the name of which I can't remember but many a good evening I had in it??? Mauri

Mauri, that wasn't an Irish bar, it was a wannabe Irish bar,
just as in Charleston SC.
The only place in the world that has Irish bars..are you ready...is
IRELAND.
I believe Happy Birthday is in order..
Carolina Irish.

Allen, Upon reflection you are so right???? Mauri