Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Life (and death) in the garden

For about the past year we have had two doves coming into the garden to feed. They always came together, as a pair, and I loved watching them balance on the feeders as they helped themselves to the birdseed. When they had their fill they took off in flight, their beautiful winags and fantails on display. The other day there was a loud thump at the kitchen window. To our dismay, one of the doves had flown full force into the window, and re-bounded a few feet away where it lay helpless. Luckily enough, our son Gregory was here. He gently lifted the dove, which was still alive, and took it into th greenhouse. He made a bed in the dry soil and placed the bird there. We rang the vet and were advised to leave out some water and food, close the greenhouse door, and see how it fared overnight. The next morning I gingerly opened the greenhouse door; at first I thought the dove was dead; then, I noticed the tiniest movement of its wee head and realised that it had actually turned right round during the night to face the door. Some of the food had been eaten too. I was delighted that it had survived and I rang the RSPB. However, they told me that they didn't rescue birds (I won't be making any donations to their collections in future). I then rang the USPCA who told me to take it to the vet and that they would pay for any fees entailed. Dominic then lifted the dove carefully (and nervously) and placed it on a towel in a cardboard box. The vet examined the bird and said he felt some internal damage to its chest where it had hit the window at full force. He said he would carry out a more thorough examination and took our address. He said that if the bird survived they would release it in the area from which it vame.

That afternoon I rang to get the results. Unfortunately, the wee dove had a large hole in its food pouch and had to be put down. I was very upset about that whole scenario. The other dove never came at all the next day. Yestrday we saw it at the feeder, but only once. I read that doves pair for life; if this is so, I wonder what will happen to the remaining wee dove. It's very sad. I can't understand why the dove flew in the direction of our kitchen window anyhow as they always flew in the opposite direction. Maybe a cat had frightened it; we'll never know.

Some of you might think I have little to worry about in my conceern about the dove. You may be right. However, I don't like to see a beautiful tbird, or any animal, accidentally injure itself so badly that it results in death.

Re: Life (and death) in the garden

The garden is coming to life after the long winter. The grass is growing, the miniature daffodils are in full bloom, clumps of snowdrops nod their tiny heads from way down at the base of the trees. Purple, yellow and white crocuses add to the colour. Spring is definitely here and I cannot wait until the weather warms up a bit and I can get out and about. I love spring; it's my favourite season. I'm still recovering from my hip replacement slowly but surely. I hope very soon I will be able to walk unaided. Dominic says he's saved a fortune because of my inability to shop just now. I wouldn't doubt it. Things are looking up, the evenings are getting lighter and when the delicate sun does appear these days, there's the slightest hint of warmth. It's been a long few months but we're getting there.

Ann

Thank you for sharing these lovely thoughts with us. You have a very kind and thoughtful heart to care for that dove. I can see the garden means a lot to you and that you care for it a great deal. Hopefully the weather will soon be better and you can sun yourself again as your new hip settles and be able to look forward to walks again in the better weather.

Has Dominic been cook as well as housekeeper recently? How has he got on, you will get used to it you know as you will be spoiled! Ha, ha and when you get shopping you will have a great time buying new clothes!

Best wishes.

Liz, always good to hear from you. Are you settled in your new home? Tell us all about it.

Regarding the dove that was killed, as I said, the following day no dove came to the feeder. Then, the next day, one single dove came to feed. However, yesterday a pair of doves once more flew into the garden. I now wonder if the dove that died was a young dove. We had noticed a third dove a couple of weeks ago at the feeder. The pair of doves kept chasing it away. I think that may have happened again and the poor wee thing flew away in panic and hit our window. Nature can be cruel.

Dominic has been great since my hip replacement. I have to give him full credit for looking after me 100%. Regarding the cooking, he did do his best. He was ok cooking scrambled or boiled eggs with toast. Tinned soups from M&S were lovely too at lunch time.. However, the dinners were not very tasty, although I had no appetite at the time anyhow. Now I am back to making the dinners again, so all is well. He is still hovering, ironing, and washing the floors as I cannot carry out these tasks yet. SO, I don't think I will divorce him this year.!!!!!!

Morning,

Ann can never take it easy, she is a social person, loves to be out of the house in town, in M&S or just shopping & talking to people. In my opinion she is doing too much of that too soon. BUT will she heed my advice, give you one guess??????

Pat

Ann

Since Pat retired and we moved to Devon, he too has been very handy round the house, which has been great for me. I have to advise anyone who is thinking of a big move to do it before their seventies, as I have found it very difficult. I actually have not been very well suffering from colds, virus, what have you for the past few weeks. We are happy where we are, but miss our friends and family back in Cambridgeshire. We live in a small town in the south west, live ten minutes walk away from the sea, and take delight it finding many new and beautiful places to visit. The folks are friendly though being winter we do not see many neighbours, but have found a lovely Baptist church locally that we both enjoy, and are making friends with the folks there.

Our two daughters live about 20 miles away, so we are able to see them more often though they have their own busy lives, and we are expecting friends to visit in the summer, so we are very blessed.

Glad you are continuing to improve after your operation. Come better weather you'll be a new woman up and about! Take care, God bless.

Liz

Hi Ann
I hope you will soon fully recover. Regarding the bird, I had a similar experience a few years ago when a pigeon flew into my patio door glass, dying immediately. With my young grandaughter I buried the bird in the garden.
I feel for these creatures, but cannot understand the intense views of my vegan son, who resents my betting because of the cruelty of horseracing. .

I agree with your son Dabs, especially now with Cheltenham coming soon & all the competition. BAN THOSE WHIPS AT LEAST.

Pat