Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn trip !

Evelyn and I have have not been to Lisburn centre ,for a while , so we went on Saturday . Got a bit of a shock ,at seeing so many shops, closed . town was like a ghost town , not many people about . But we had fish and chips ,at a new chippy called (Simply Fish ) was most enjoyable, and they had some old black and white photos of Lisburn on show , which was enjoyable to see . Even Smith Pattersons was not busy .Spoke to a gentleman in Reids shoe shop ,and he said the town (City)was like this every day .But we still enjoyed our wee trip ,to the old homestead .
Hope all are well , and Eithne (Ann) is on the mend .

Re: Lisburn trip !

Hi Tommy, I'm glad you and Evelyn enjoyed your fish and chips in Lisburn. I haven't been out for 3 weeks now, except for a short walk down our street on 2 days recently when the weather was nice and sunny. I'm still on my sticks of course and will be for another 3 weeks, but I am recovering at long last. Dominic has been brilliant, looking after me, and doing his very best at things he's not used to like cooking. I will buy him a big present when I'm on my feet again. I haven't been on the Forum recently for the simple reason I have nothing to talk about, being confined to the house, but I have a week juke in now and again and enjoy reading the news. Upwards and onwards as the saying goes.

Hi, Ann Good to know you are exercising the new parts, I do hope you run them in soon and find comfort with them, Just wondering you must be saving a few bob during your convalescence? maybe you could surprise Dominic with a wee trip to Lanzarote and feel the sand between your toes, and maybe a good book into the bargain, Regards Ted

Hi all,

Thank God Ann is on the mend list at last, she had a couple of weeks when she was very weak after her operation. She is taking a car trip into town this morning which will lift her spirits, as Ann likes to be out & about. She was

cheered up by the kind friends, who sent flowers, cards, etc.

I am waiting for the Nurse to call in about an hour to assess me for the phsiotherapist, who will visit later to see what aids I will need after my operation, which is,at last, booked for 27th March.2017.

Age brings its own trials, but we are lucky we have the care we get, even if it takes a few weeks to recover. I often think of the poor people who cannot get the health services we complain about, sometimes rightly.

When we are young we never give our health a thought, but when we grow old it is all we talk about, like now......L..O.L.

On that cheerful note I will say "Never say die" Pat

I like to see you guys are still alive and kicking. Well done Ann!
I'm thinking of making a quick trip over, if I can escape the wife I am offered family accommodation, but, though poor, I want to be independent.:-) Is the Premier Inn OK?

Hi Dabbler, SOME TIME AGO IF IT WAS PRE-BOOKED IT COULD BE GOT FOR 29 POUND PER NIGHT

Dabbler, when are you thinking of coming over? It would be nice if you could meet up with a few of us this time. I've been todld that the Premier Inn is fine for a few days. I know Low Roader and his daughtr stayed there a while back and if it's good enough for Low Roader, I rest my case. The other thing about the Premier Inn is that it's not far from Lisburn. You would remember that road, Dabbler, and the Premier Inn is not too far from the "plantin" so a nice walk if the weather is fine. There are buses on that route too if you're stuck or the weather is bad. It would be nice to meet you at last.

Herself and I are planning a trip end of March so maybe we can arrange a get together
donald

I would love to take a trip over to Lisburn even though there are only a couple of people left from my days that I know, of course if a enough forum participants show up that would make a big difference, unfortunately my wife who is from Wales has no interest in either going to Northern Ireland or Wales for that matter,since having a hip operation several years ago has lost interest in travelling although I am trying hard to talk her into a trip anywhere, my suggestions are Hawaii or Barbadoes, we have been to both places several times though our visits to Barbadoes have been on cruise ships so only there for a day at a time compared to Hawaii where we have spent weeks on each island. I'll keep trying??. Mauri

Donald, I would love to meet up with you both again. Hopefully, I will have fully recovered by then. It's been a long haul this time and I still feel very tired. I'm still confined to the house and to tell the truth I wouldn't have the energy to go very far anyhow. I did go into M&S on Sat but didn't stay long and was glad to get home. Sorry for the moan but I know I can share my feelings with my Forum friends.

Mauri it would be wonderful if you ever got to visit Lisburn once e again. We would all have to make a very special effort to meet up. The craic would be great. Think about it.l

Ann
maybe with a little help from Dominic you could reach Wetherspoons or the Hilden brewery
donald

Ann, Glad to hear that you are progressing well, will be no time before you are running around like before. Stange how people react so differently to these hip operations, my wife Joy had a hip operation a couple of years ago as a result of a fall on the stairs so uses a cane to get around as she is very nervous of falling again. I have had both hips done over they years and have no problems getting around at all. Lucky me.??? Mauri

Mauri, because Joy had a fall and broke her hip, I can understand why she is fearful of falling again. I think she is entitled to use a stick if it makes her feel better. I had my lasst hip op 9 years ago and I can't remember my recovery being so prolonged at that time.. Of course, I was 9 years younger, which would have made a difference. We'll say no more about it as I'm sure people are sick of listening to me.

Donald, if I'm not in full health by March, I will jump off the nearest cliff.!!!!!!!

gosh lisburns been nuked again. where was mauri when you needed him. I hope wetherspoons fallout shelter survived. i'll go in to town when radiation levels drop a bit.

Dabs,

We have stayed at the Premier Inn & found it fine for a short stay. We didn.t eat there but the staff are friendly & obliging.

A taxi to Lisburn only costs a couple of Euros & Marka & Sparks is just over the road along with other shops & a Resturant, all very reasonable.

Delighted to hear you visit the old hometown now, my prayers for you are answered, so there is a God after all.

Pat

Ted
Hi Dabbler, SOME TIME AGO IF IT WAS PRE-BOOKED IT COULD BE GOT FOR 29 POUND PER NIGHT

Ted
Room or per person?
donald

Hi, Donald, This was for the room, it was some time ago but I suggest you go online @ Premier Inn and see what's on offer, Regards Ted

Pat, My sister has contacted me on Facebook, telling me not to book hotel as she and her husband will be pleased to have me. I cannot turn down their generous offer. My sister would agree with you about God and all that stuff.

Dabbler give Linda my best wishes. I haven't seen her for a long time and I know she is much younger, but somehow we know each other. Nothing like staying with family (I think!!) Hope to meet up with you and maybe Linda too.

Dabs,

Someone up there is watching over you. Pat