Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mauri?

Do any of you know if Mauri is O.K. As we have not heard from him recently. Hope he has not caught thr flu, or any of the virus bugs going around art present. Pat?

Re: Mauri?

Hi Pat, I am fine thanks for asking, just been pondering whether to become a lurker or not???. Had just finished answering yours with a story about snow ploughing when I was scammed will try again after lunch, All best wishes for the New Year, rathr belated I know but better late than never. Mauri

Been scammed again but will try one more time with a shorter version.

We have been having a lot of snow in our area which brought to mind an experience in Lisburn. I had just arrived in town for a couple of weeks leave and was sitting in Jakie Corkens lounge bar. That day there had been a heavy snowfall and when I commented on it to the guy next to me turned out that he was one of the Graham family from around Dromore somewhere and his company had the contract for snowploughing around Lisurn.

However even though they had the contract they could not start until Lisburn Council gave them the OK and they would not be meeting for a couple of days, we both agreed that this was pure stupidity and had another whiskey. I often wonder has that been changed. Mauri

Mauri
Great to hear from you again.
Your experience with the snow,reminded me of Christmas Eve 1966.
My 21st, mum and dads, 25th, anniversary, we lived at Finaghy, left in car to pick up my wife in Belfast, did that and then got on M1 snow was so heavy no one passed me i turned of they followed.
Eventually got home, my Aunt and Uncle had arrived from Lisburn, along with my cousins. My uncle played his accordion and we drank and drank,the party lasted until Boxing Day.
Then with a massive hangover i drove everyone safely home.

Ron, Sounds like a good time was had by all, one of those occasions that you remember for a long time. Mauri

sure did.
Fond memories.Like Lisburn when i was a kid.
So many, but thanks to you guys for keeping them alive.
Take care all.

Ron, Whereabouts are you located?. if my memory serves me right I think you are in Queensland??, I have been in Cairns and Townsville on our way up to Darwin not sure which port it was we watched crocodilles or alligators coming across the harbour at night all we could see were their eyes glowing in the dark. Does Peggy still live in Lisburn??. Mauri

Burrum Heads. North of Hervey Bay.
Haven't been in touch with Peggy for a long time.
7 years never replied , so i suspect she has gone.
She was beautiful as was her daughter Ann, who died from cancer.
The first love of my life was Ann.
I was 3 she was 5, but even when i left to come to Australia, she was so beautiful.