Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
War Time Lisburn

I wonder how many of you remember World War 2 Lisburn, the Black out, movement of troops vehicles etc. The Forces canteen in the Assembly Rooms the Anti Tank barriers at each entrance to the town,aircraft flying into Long Kesh, Megaberry,Aldergrove. The celebrations at the end of the war with dancing in the street, arches with all kinds of bunting and flags.

How about the arrival of thousands of American troops stationed in Lambeg (colured battalion), Knockmore and those passing through the town from the docks in Belfast on their way to sites further North.

Then there was the combined exercises with the British Army.I remember the Longstone being completely blocked off with American tanks as they tried to ambush the opposing Britsh vehicles and succeeded a few times. Then of course there was all the activity at Thieval Barracks and the various camps around the town. I could go on and on but enough for now. Mauri

Re: War Time Lisburn

Mauri, thank goodness I was too young to remember the war. However, I do remember one night sitting under the table and peeping up at two candles burning on the masterpiece. The room was dark otherwise. I wasn't afraid but there must have been an air raid that night. That is the only thing I remember.

Ann, Belfast was bombed three times if I remember correctly. There was a battery of searchlights in a field just outside town on the Moira Road, during the raids these were constantly scanning the skies, there was also anti aircraft guns stationed there as well. The first raid I went out on the street to watch as the whole sky was lit up over Belfast but was hauled back in by my Grandparents. The day after the raids it seemed like the whole population of Belfast was leaving as the roads were jammed with cars though where they got the gasoline from beats me.

At this time my Mother and Stepfather and family were living in Surrey Street on the Lisburn Road but no bombs fell In that area,it was mostly around the docks and shipyard that took most of the bombs and in fact one limpet mine dropped by parachute fell on the aircraft carrier HMS Furious and was hanging over the side, for some reason it didn't explode these usually had a timer fuse which obviously had malfunctioned so the Army Bomb Disposal squad had to remove it. Hope you find this interesting. Mauri

Mauri. What year are you referring to? I was born in June 1941 so I would love to know how old I was that night sitting under the table. Very interesting Mauri but I'm still glad I was too young to understand

Ann, If I remember correctly the first Air Raid on Belfast was around Easter 1941 followed by a couple more the same year,I'm not quite sure but I think there was also one in 1942, maybe the night you are thinking about was a false alarm, they used to test the Air Raid sirens without any warning and people would think it was the real thing until they sounded the All Clear a few minutes later. Mauri

Maurice, I remember. By the way, I tried to send a text last week but it failed. Briefly, I went home and had a. lovely time

Hi Dabbler, Good to see you back on, how about telling us about your trip over home,if you have not been home for some time you must have seen a lot of changes in the town"oops city". Mauri

Maurice
To feel independent, I booked into a B &B in theBelsize Road. Clean and tidy, with a nice big Irish breakfast. By choice I walked to town most mornings. I walked through the Wallace Park, and explored the renovated Castle Gardens. I used my mini iPod to take pictures of scenes of my childhood. Wherever I went, bookies, pubs, museum, cathedral, I found warmth and friendship.Amongst my large family and their friends I found love. We had a meal one evening in the place that was once the Robin's Nest. Very different Mauri. But a pleasure.

Mauri.
No i don't remember that, i was born in 1945,but I remember the rationing and how we could be fed from a 1/4 lb of mince

ron bingham
Mauri.

No i don't remember that, i was born in 1945,but I remember the rationing and how we could be fed from a 1/4 lb of mince

I remember being sent to Bleakleys shop in Hilden for cigarettes and sometimes sweets with a ration book. Mrs Bleakley cut the individual coupons from it, without which you could not buy anything rationed such as tobacco, sugar or confectionary but to name a few.
What I do not understand until today how could rationing in Germany , who lost the war have ended earlier than in Britain who won?
Still remember the parcels coming from America from our relations, they were a gift from Heaven.
donald

ron bingham
Mauri.

Ron
At present I,m re-reading " LISBURN THE TOWN AND ITS PEOPLE 1873 - 1973 by Brian Mackey. On page 83 is a large photo of Bugler W.J. Bingham 11th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles holding a rifle, taken in Lisburn in 1915. It states he was wounded at the Battle of the Somme on 1st July 1916. Was this a relation?
donald

Ron
Forgot to add if you are interested I would scan the photo and send it to you
donald

donald
Ron

Forgot to add if you are interested I would scan the photo and send it to you

donald

Ron
was wondering if you read this