Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
As the Dust Settles

The owners and management of Carrier, the US air conditioning company which was in the process of shutting down its stateside plant, laying off some 1100 employees and moving to Mexico, has been persuaded to stay in the US by the direct intervention of President Elect Trump. All this by a direct phone call from The Donald, to the guy in charge.

Not a bad start for someone who has been accused of representing only the large corporations and couldn't give a **** for the working man.

He has also been successful in persuading the Ford Motor company from doing much the same, all this and he has not yet been sworn in to the office of president.

I see Hil-liar-y is supporting the Green Lady, Jill Stein in asking for a re-count of votes in the state of Wisconsin. Both sore losers and the latest news is that Jill has given up on this crazy effort, where she had less than 10 % of the votes cast in this state in the first place.

The college electoral system was introduced by the US founding fathers, who saw a need to have the less populated areas receive fair representation. Canada could well use something similar.

When I emigrated to Western Canada, the Canadian government was run by representatives of the central provinces, namely Ontario and Quebec. Manufacturing company's in these provinces were protected by tariffs. If I wanted to buy a refrigerator from the US, I would have to pay a 17% tax on this product, thus keeping us in Western Canada in a captive market, all for the greater good of Canada ( Read Ontario or Quebec ) In those days, I remember watching Ontario Premier Davis declaring, if Ontario is OK, then the rest of Canada is OK, keep Ontario working, what B.S. Hard to take in the struggling Western Canadian economy.

Then in the seventies came our chance to shine, oil prices were on the rise worldwide, and Alberta had oil. Again Central Canada, under the premier, one Pierre Trudeau declared, one province can not benefit by this anomaly. Alberta must provide the rest of Canada with oil and gas at less than world prices, in the spirit of being good Canadians. Drilling rigs left Alberta in the hundreds, headed for southern US.

If we in Alberta, had been protected by a form of Electoral College, Alberta would have been spared the years of hardship following this unfair political decision.

Re: As the Dust Settles

Amen...

40 coats,

As I say to Joe who is always raving about politicians. What difference does it make to us now. Have another drink. Wishing you @ yours A Happy Christmas @ a good New Year .

Pat, good to hear from you again, like Joe, I've got an opinion on most things but nobody listens anyway.

How have you been keeping lately, I hope the auld knee gets fixed up soon.

I usually find myself complaining about the Provincial Government but I must say that we have been treated for our ailments very promptly indeed here in BC. Despite a recent increase of 10% in monthly premiums for Medical Services, we have received great value for our money this past year.

Frances has had a couple of hospital visits to treat her triple whammy of Shingles, Palsy and a Broken Hip, all at the same time. She has recovered fairly well but is still fighting for total recovery of her sense of balance, due to the Shingles attack on her inner ear. I have had a cyst removed from my bladder which entailed a biopsy. This was followed by a scraping and then a series of bladder rinses. I have had a set of 6 rinses followed by a scoping and a further two sets of 3 rinses each followed by a scoping. Anyhow I was declared free of this cancer on my latest scoping on Tuesday last.

We are spending this Christmas with our son Steve and his wife on Sunday next and this will be followed by a trip to Seven Feathers in Canyonville, Oregon for three days including Xmas Eve, Xmas and Boxing Day.

Wishing you and Joe a pleasant and merry Christmas and all the best for you both in the New Year.

Best Regards, Stan and Fran

Fortycoats & Francis,

, Sorry for your health trials,glad too hear you both are in good spirits. Only way too cope,nothing lasts forever. Time brings changes some bad, some good. At least we have our memories too comfort us when things get rough.

Hopefully, if the nurses Don,t go on their threatened strike here I will get my new knee in March & fling away this stick, that is always falling with a crack on the Cottage tiles, much too Joe's teeth grinding.

Have to see the funny side of Life too keep us sane in old age, like imagining we are still as we feel inside, IF we keep the mirrors covered.

Have a great time with family at Christmas & a good New Year.

Pat

Pat& All who have been on this site, you are doing a wonderful job, So to everyone who ever knew the joys and sorrows from Lisburn, my town, a Very Merry Christmas and wonderful and happy New Year
Take care All

After meeting with the CEO of Boeing regarding the excessive price quoted for supplying a new Air Force One, the Donald extracted from Boeing's boss, a promise to significantly reduce the cost of this aircraft.

Recently, we hear that he has also met with Lockheed Martin to protest the cost of their F35 fighter jets. Using his business acumen, he had cleverly asked Boeing's boss to re-visit their proposal for this front line aircraft and quote a new price for a fighter with all the F35's attributes.

The award of an F35 replacement would far outweigh any money made on a single aircraft for presidential use, so I expect Boeing will come back very competitively. This shows the good business acumen of the upcoming Trump administration.

Thanks for this only slightly biased dissemination of news. I am learning.

Just the facts Dabs, just the facts.

So why is Donald, such an apologist for Russia, is he really Putins puppet?

I see that Obama has decided to close the stable door, after that nasty rasPutin has disclosed so many embarrassing Dem emails. He would have been better advised to stop Hil Liar Y from putting the nation's secrets on an open platter while she served as his Secretary of State.
Ron, I really don't see the Donald as anyone's puppet.

fortycoats

obama has been the best presidant ecomical sound for years
as for hilary the only reason she didnt win was because she was woman
and has forgot more about politics than trump will ever know for the republican party it has been run for years by the rothchilds & jewish friends as for putin being that close to trump very strange

At least you almost got obama correct..the
rest needs some spelling lessons
Allen Harrison..
president ecomical what is that??
The rest is beyond comprehension..?
Thank goodness we have Trump..settle down
We will survive without Obullsh?t

ALLEN

MUST HAVE BEEN MITCHING IN THE WALLACE PARK THE DAY I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LEARNING TO SPELL IN SCHOOL OR WAS I CHASING YOU AS YOU WERE COMING HOME FROM WALLACE HIGH SCHOOL WITH YOUR WE CAP ON HA HA HOPE TRUMP DECLARES HIS TAX AFFAIRS TO THE PUBLIC THE WAY OBAMA HAD TO OR WILL THE REPUBLICAN PARTY MAKE EXCUSES FOR HIM NOT TO SHOW THEM AND FOR THE RECORD OBAMA OR TRUMP WILL NOT CHANGE MY WAY OF LIFE ALSO HE WILL NOT CHANGE THE REDNECKS LIVES WHO VOTED FOR HIM IN MY OPINION THE RICH GET RICHER AND THE POOR GET POORER

Sad...so sad....

Will you new comers wind your necks in. This site was not set up for Yanks to air such raw political views.Keep it light or bog off. Cheers and happy new year, Pam

PAMELA

I AM NOT A YANK HAVE HAD IRISH PASSPORT FOR OVER FIFTY YEARS AND LIVE NOT TO FAR FROM YOU IN BANBRIDGE YOUR LAST POST WAS AN INSULT TO ALL AMERICANS AND DEFO NOT AN INSULT TO ME SEE YOU SOON COUSIN TWICE REMOVED

To those of you who are involved in the latest USA politics on the "Forum", I would like to point out....About ten years ago the "Boss" the late Jim Collins asked the members to refrain from discussing politics on the Forum and politics are politics irrespective of the country you live in.

A Happy,Healthy and Prosperous 2017 to all

Beano

Beans, I knew " The Boss " very well and I am the last person in the world to write anything to disrupt or go against his legacy. However I would respectfully suggest that Irish politics were uppermost on his mind.

I started this discussion with the intention of bringing to light some of the good actions of this President Elect as there were many negative things posted on this forum to the contrary.

So who on this site is interested, in a megalomaniac, controlled by Russia.
So talk about Lisburn

Apparently you are.

Reminds me of the hot air arguments of long ago. NOW WHO CARES AT OUR AGE.

pat

i think 40 and allen to very bitter old men

Hallo, Philadelphia Sean, this name threw me regards your real name. Good to see you on the forum. Did your good lady tell you we met at Tesco ? Are you settled in Banbridge O.K.? We love it here, just a great wee town. Hope to see you around sometime. Pamela

It's either a TWO or a be..???
Allen.

Allen,
If Sean can we we in Wallace Park then Terry can wear his to to.

To be,or not to be,that is the question;Whether'tis nobler in the mind to suffer.The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,Or,to take arms against a sea of troubles,And,by opposing,end them.To die,to sleep'' Oh so wrong again old men