Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
billy bingham

My grandfather was a printer and had his business in Lisburn, and any information about him would be welcome.
But on the Christmas note I can recall picking him up in Hilden on Christmas eve, my 18TH birthday,going to the pub on the corner of Antrim St, drunk orange juice bladder busting, then he asked my dad and I to cross the the road and place a few bets. When we returned he was in the lounge upstairs,with the drinks his friends purchased, a full table of Guinness and rum chasers, his wife had joined him. It was now 5 pm when he finished his grog, as we stepped out of the pub, i held his arm to help him down the kerb, he backhanded me on the the nose, and said i am drunk yet.

Re: billy bingham

Ron

The pub was called the Corner House in my youth, I didn´t know there was an upstairs lounge. There was a Bingham family lived in Bridge St. in Hilden , there were two daughters, Mary and Ellen I think who were friendly with my aunts Nellie and Kathleen.

donald

Donald, You are thinking about Ellan and Mary Goin or Going. Mary and Billy Bingham had no children. Pam

Ron, You must be related to Peggy Bingham who went to school with me ??. I was a frequent customer in the Corner House pub in the early 60s when I was on leave from the Merchant Navy. It was owned by two Belfast men Andy Kelly and I forget the name of the other guy. I always drank in the upstairs lounge which was newly renovated when Andy and his partner took over. There were a couple of different barmaids one from Belfast and the other a Lisburn girl,many a happy evening I had there. Mauri

Hi Ron,

It might be a sheer coincidence, I knew a Billy Bingham who was a printer,he was much older than myself.Billy was average height, slim build and slick black hair, he played a bit of cricket with cousins of my father, John and Ned Dickey over in the Barbour playing fields. Two of the other guys who played were Don Munn and Eddie Downing,when they had finished playing they called at our house to leave their gear which was stored under my bed. Then it was off to the pub with my Dad in tow. By the way my Billy Bingham lived in Antrim St.

Beano

Pamela
Donald, You are thinking about Ellan and Mary Goin or Going. Mary and Billy Bingham had no children. Pam

Pamela
Correct, am getting old
donald

Beano, I might be wrong but I think the Billy Bingham you refer to was a brother of the girl I knew Peggy Bingham as she came from Antrim street as well.still on the mend or at 100% now?? Mauri

Hi Mauri,

You could be right, I didn't know his family.

Feeling not too bad at present, I still have to use the Cane or Walker to get around.....however 100%....I only wish.

Beano

Thank you Beano,that was my grandfather, and Peggy was my aunt.

Yes that was my Aunt Peggy, the best looking aunt anyone could have.

My Brother was David, killed by the I R A and then put into his car boot, was reported in the Star many years ago.

My father Thomas was a cricketer, my grandfather Billy was a musician, won medals with the silver band. Was really hurt when they rejected me.

Mauri
It could be my uncle Billy you remember, the family grew up in Antrim Street, because that's were my grandfather, had his printing business,of course he used to drink a bit, and when I was young would only use the presses to print, song sheets, to get drinking money.

Ron,

Did your brother David go to Finaghy Primary School? I remember a lad in at least some of my classes called David Bingham who was murdered in similar sounding circumstances. We mostly lost touch with classmates after dispersing to different schools after the 11 plus.

Ann B

Ann
WE all attended Finaghy Primary, i in Mr Scott's class until i passed my 11+.
David was younger but could charm the birds out of trees.
Being his old brother I thought i was immune to his charm, but he was he.
When he attended his class at the community center across the top green, our dog Rocky would accompany him.

What school did you go to , he went to Friends.

I always remember David as being one of the nicest lads in the class, don't remember about the dog following him, (must have been totally unobservant) and don't think I knew anything about his family.

I went to Princess Gardens after the 11+ and had very little contact with those I knew from primary school, except for the girls who also went to Princess Gardens. We moved away from Finaghy as well, so it was very easy to lose touch with those I knew from primary school.

I remember Mr. Scott and Mr. Waring well in the Community Centre, I was in Mr. Scott's class, before that I think in Mr. O'Brien's.

Ann
Wonderful to realize you knew David as I said could charm the birds.
Was that the Mr O,Brien who got banned because of his disciplinary methods on male student.
Take care have a great Christmas and all your dreams come true, in 2017

Ron

Yes, David was a lovely person.

I didn't know about Mr. O'Brien, I know he caned me on the hand once for getting spellings wrong - I had actually learned the wrong set. I can still spell now though! Teachers in those days were so strict compared to now and some may have taken strictness too far.

I looked up Finaghy Primary and it has been completely rebuilt. Would not have recognised it. Very long time since I was in Finaghy, but I do get to Lisburn sometimes briefly when I go over to visit family. Again there are huge changes. Did an open top bus tour in Belfast some years ago; it visited parts of Belfast I had never been in and had never thought I would be in either.

You have a great Christmas too and a wonderful New Year too.

This may be a long-shot, but I'm interested in any information anyone has about Mr. Scott and Mr. Waring who taught at Finaghy Primary. I attended this school in 1963-64 before my family moved to Canada. I was in Mr. Scott's classic the community centre. We lived around the corner from the school on Mount Aboo (?sp.) Road. Mr. Scott's son was in my class and was a friend. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'd be particularly interested in knowing if anyone has a class photo from that school. Just curious.
My thanks,
Iain Mackie