Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family Guests

I've had a very busy weekend. Pat and her daughter Deirdre arrived on Friday evening. It was around 6 pm as they had called off in Marks & Spencer to do a bit of shopping. I had their dinner ready and we sat down and talked away about this and that, including the Forum, as we ate. We all enjoyed recalling old memories, watched a bit of TV (Pat hates 'soaps') and then it was bedtime. On Saturday morning, after breakfast, Dominic drove us down to Ste George's Market in Belfast. I had never been so it was a first for me. I thoroughly enjoyed going round all the various stalls. I got myself a bargain too. I found a beautiful little salt cellar; crystal, with a stamped silver top. I paid a £1 for this gem. I washed the crystal part later and it gleamed like new. I wonder have I picked up something which will make me a fortune later?????? Keep watching the Antiques Roadshow. We bought other little trinkets - rings, earrings, brooches. Deirdre, who has been in the Market on previous visits, headed over to a lady who makes her own jams and chutneys. She chose several chutneys but couldn't get her favourite, which was fig. We had a great time there and I thoroughly enjoyed all the craic. Then we headed for Victoria Square where all the shops are. We spent a long time there too, browsing through all the clothes, perfumes, etc. I discovered a new perfume, one I hadn't even heard of before. It is far too costly to buy but the scent the girl chose for me was perfect. It was called Shanghai Lily, which Pat thought was an apt name for my perfume. (big sisters!!). It was gorgeous but at £160 for a small bottle, just too expensive for me. Later, we went for our tea in the complex, and then it was time to call Dominic to collect us again. We waited for him at the City Hall, which was ablaze with light and looked really lovely in the darkness. People were still milling around; shoppers, like us, wending our way home; the younger generation, all glammed up, just arriving for their night out. It was a brief visit for Pat and Deirdre as they left after breakfast on Sunday morning. We both enjoyed having them here and the weather was good too, which is always a bonus in this country. They've arrived safely home and no doubt Pat will put on her own experiences. They both noticed that people up here, including myself, say "wee" an awful lot. "Are you having a wee browse"; "would you like a wee top up in your tea" "wait a wee minute" etc. etc. Anyway, that was my weekend.

Re: Family Guests

Ann ,Did you git any herrns ?

Hi Ann

Glad to hear you got a bargain at St Georges market . I used to go there every Friday morn ,and I thoroughly enjoyed my trips .Good to hear that you were looking after the southern visitors ,and they had an enjoyable time .
All the best to yourself ,and Dominic .
Regards !
Tommy

Ann & all,

A belated reply as computer went on the blink.

We had a lovely w/end with family & were treated like the Royals. Ann had excelled at the cooking & baking & our room was like a Spa with sweet-smelling sachets. A great rest from the usual housework. Take a bow Ann & Dominic.

Georges Market was a treat with the stalls full of different wares, the only snag for me was the loud guitar & loudspeakers drowning out conversation. I will pick next time a day with Spanish music playing. Different music different days.

Belfast at night was a blaze of light & craic with music & shops open till 7.00p.m probably later nearer Christmas, a different city from when we left NI. When we go home we fit in like we never left, by the way our accent has never changed but it is a Lisburn one, not Belfast one, which is funny & so familiar.

At tea-time we were asked several times, Do yis want a wee top-up there.? ""Are ye sure yis don't want a wee top-up ? ""Here, I'll jist give yis a wee top-up"

A long drive & too much to fit in for a few days, maybe next Summer we will holiday there for a change, when a good spell of weather is forecast, God willing.
Pat