Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hilden Mill Geordie Orr

Anyone out there, (Ann and Pat must know ) The name and ISBN of the book which was presented in the Assembly Rooms some time back about Hilden mill?
Would like to order it
donald

Re: Hilden Mill Geordie Orr

Donald, the book was not written by the late George Orr but by Mr Fleming, a former director of the company. Off the top of my head, I think it was titled 'A Life in Thread". We had a good night then, hadn't we? So many old colleagues were there and I recognised almost all of them, and they me. Several have since died unfortunately. Great memories of Hilden Mill.

Ann
checked out Amazon and ebay but could not find it
donald

Donald, I just checked on line also but did not find anything on the book. I bought the book on the night and it is here in the house. I have a couple of bookcases here so it will be in one of them. Dominic promised to have a search later on, so I will let you know the name of the book and the initials of Mr Fleming. I know he was called Sandy and I imagine his name was Alexander (not to be confused with the other Alex. Fleming) but all will be revealed later. I must add that Dominic is notoriously slow at doing anything so it could be tomorrow. Must make a topic on that subject later.

Ann
Thanks, if you see the ISBN on it that makes it much easier to trace.
Gabriel and Kathleen Kerr are arriving tonight for a few days holiday, looking forward to them coming. Maybe will make it to Cloister Andecs for a few biffs and a trip to Tegernsee and maybe even Austria.
donald

Donald, give Gabriel and Kathleen our best wishes. Tell Gab his butcher's shop is still there. Doesn't seem long ago that I was in there, with himself and Kathleen behind the counter. Time flies and things change. Hope they have a great holiday. By the way, Dominic still hasn't started looking for that book. Well, I did warn you!!!!!

Donald, the book was found. The title is "Memories of a Thread Maker" by Sandy Fleming. It was printed in Lisburn by Plantation Press. I am going to have a good look through it this afternoon as I only gave it a cursory glance the first time. Mr Fleming signed my copy and Pat's. It will back back lots of memories.

Donald tell gabby and Kathleen glad to hear the're both well a lot of memories all good.danny and anne Kearney.

Donald, Would you ask Gabby if I could join his Christmas Club ? Enjoy yourselves and don't drink to much. Pam

Pamela
Gaby would only be too pleased for you to join, only problem is you must come over to USA to collect your goods.
donald

Donald, Tell him I will call in on Christmas Eve for my turkey and half a pound of sausages. Cheers to you all Pamela

Ann
Great to read your post, My grandfather Billy Bingham, lived in Hilden, with his second wife Mary who was very tall and the family called her Big Mary, she was Catholic he was Protestant.She was such a wonderful person, big Mary had a big heart.