Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HILDEN , The story of a school and its community !

Today I got a present of the above Title and having had a quick glance of it contents I would surly recommend it for any past pupils firstly and secondly anyone from that catchment area to the Mill and School and as a bonus there is some comments in the book from Donald, Lowroader, and one of Ann's poems has also been published, also photos of Pamela and her sister Pat , Ann's brothers, and some of the Stevenson's, Ronnie & Reggie. The Authors are Margaret Hanthorne &

Ann Ferguson, Published by Hanthorne Press Lisburn, I understand it will shortly be available at Watterstones or at the moment at the supermarket on the Low Road
and I'm sure it will probably be available from Amason on line ,

, so anyone who is asked what they would like for Christmas this would be worth considering Regards Ted

Re: HILDEN , The story of a school and its community !

Ted, I just heard about the book yesterday. I remember a year or so ago, someone came onto the Forum asking myself and Pat if we had any memories about Hilden School as they were writing a book about the area. I advised them that we hadn't attended Hilden School. This must be the book the author was referring to. I must say I would like to see all the photographs and read the contents. I didn't know that my poem "Hilden Mill" was included - what about my copyright, eh!!!!!!!

Ann
Ted, I just heard about the book yesterday. I remember a year or so ago, someone came onto the Forum asking myself and Pat if we had any memories about Hilden School as they were writing a book about the area. I advised them that we hadn't attended Hilden School. This must be the book the author was referring to. I must say I would like to see all the photographs and read the contents. I didn't know that my poem "Hilden Mill" was included - what about my copyright, eh!!!!!!!

Ann
maybe there is a free copy in the post for those who contributed
donald

Have been reading the book through and through,owe Ted a drink for sending it, will buy him one next time I´m in norniron, it´s very interesting just a pity the records of the boys names were not available. I was surprised to read a couple of my comments. The baby Angela Watters is holding is not her brother Edmund, it is my daughter Julie and the picture was taken by me in 1966, her elder sister Rosemary is in the background on a tricycle.
donald

Ann & Donald, Great to hear you enjoyed the book , on Thursday evening last I took up the opportunity of the invitation to the official launch of the book in Waterstones were both Authors were present as well as a lot of 1st and 2nd generation from the school and Mill were present, both authors spoke about their efforts to compile this book and the ups and downs they had to deal with in the course of its completion,there was also a couple of readings from the book and John Mc Ardle and Edmund Gorman said a few words , all told it was a brilliant evening with a large crowd and I must congratulate Waterstone's for the reception and the buffet all told it was a great evening, there was some discussion regarding a sequel concentrating on the village its self , I do hope they succeed as without a doubt Hilden was unique , It would make an ideal Christmas present Regards Ted

PS I forgot to add, It was announced at the launch that Hilden school is to be retained and money spent on it and used as a social centre , this announcement was received with great applause by everyone. Ted ,

That is great news Ted. Why on earth did they not think of that years ago? I ordered the book today and am expecting it in two weeks.

Liz

Liz ,It really is sad that the Power's to be let it detereate to the state it finds its self in at the moment ,however it's brillant to know that it will be there for the new residents in there new houses in Mill St & Bridge St ,it's like the Phoenix arising from the ashes We wish them well ,Liz ,Regarding the book ?you have a great read to look forward to ,Regards Ted

I have just finished reading the book and I am afraid I am going to be in a minority and will probably have to take some stick for my views – so be it.
I found the book tedious in the extreme. I will ignore all the practically unreadable lists of official documents and photographs. No explanation of the missing boy’s registers given.
The portion about the school containing comments from past pupils was interesting but I believe should have contained a lot more investigation by the authors.
I will give a few examples if I may:
The school had an exhibition of art displayed in Tyrone/Bryson House in Belfast (briefly mentioned by Adrienne) which could have been more expanded by the authors
There is a poem by Eithne , it is nice, but why not ask an internationally renowned poet who actually went to the school (her brother Leonard Lavery) for permission to use one of his (page 60 of Sitting on Till Spring seems apt) or maybe even ask him to write one specially.
Tommy Corken gets a very brief mention but no real explanation why. Tommy was doing The Times crossword at school when aged 12. To my knowledge he still does them daily with considerable success. His prowess at mental arithmetic was and probably still is, awesome.
I could mention more but will not bore you.
On the sporting front the school won the Lisburn and District cup and went on to play in the NI schools semi-final. The football shorts were all made by Mrs Martin (wife of the teacher Mr Martin) from parachute silk.
Frankie(Pankie) Watters played international football and Noel Stevenson was an All Ireland and NI champion runner on track,road and cross country.
I am sure there are many more instances of ex-pupils going on to greater things.
Good day to you all.

Low Roader, It is an awful oversite that you weren't consulted about the book in its conception as its very obvious you had a lot to offer, I do hope if the sequel gets off the ground I would imagine the authors both Margaret Hanthorne and Ann Ferguson would greatly appreciate your input even as a proofreader, listening to them both at the launch they explained that at times they found it extremely frustrating in their effort to get the book off the ground , it is regretful that you found it lacked content but then you would have been much closer to the subject matter than those of us who were just remembering a bygone age ,
Kind Regards Ted

Ted / Lowroader
correct, , don´t remember any who entered politics but
past pupils went on to be professors, doctors and clergy
donald

Low Roader, I thought the book was okay. I don't think it was meant to be anything more than a trip down memory lane. For most people, the book contained enough information and photographs to satisfy. I spoke to Leonard this afternoon and passed on your comments. He was bemused but also said that if approached he would have been more than happy to have his poem printed. I had a look at the poem you mention and it would have been perfect right enough. I think, all in all, the book is good enough. By the way, Low Roader, my poem wasn't meant to be "nice". It was supposed to be a statement. Thanks for the backhanded compliment anyhow.!!!!! Like to see you do better.!!!!

Go on Low Roader, write us all a wee poem, there's a challenge for you

Best wishes
Liz

Liz
Go on Low Roader, write us all a wee poem, there's a challenge for you

Best wishes

Liz

There you go Liz.

I‘m proud I’ve been to Hilden school.
My brothers went there too.
We loved our time in that dear place.
I’m a sentimental fool.

Miss Green was my first teacher,
She taught me how to write,
And Miss Scannell was very nice,
Although a fearful sight.

Mr Martin made us play each day
At soccer we excelled
We won the cup in our first year,
Oh how we whooped and yelled.

I made a lot of life long friends
Whilst at that wondrous place
God Blessed us all and kept us safe
And shone upon each face.

Low Roader. Congratulations , A fine job you made of Ann & Liz's request.

Ted,
That Liz Thompson causes me to spend "hours" punishing my puny brain to meet her challenge and then doesn't even acknowledge my pathetic effort.
I suppose if I had written it with an English accent she would have been all over it.
Wimmen !!!!!!!!!!
BTW I hope you are well and enjoying the odd Jamieson!!!

LR

Afternoon Low Roader, I'm sure at this moment Liz & Ann are probably trying to compose there answer and admiration on the result of the challenge they set you ,as for myself I take one day at a time, Lowroader to be honest lately my social life seems to be around funerals and get together afterwards for a bit of craic and a wee toothfull of Jameson, but thats life and thank God our health is good , do hope this finds you well, I remember sometime ago you discribed a journey on a bus which I enjoyed very much, in the 60s I frequently took the 25 bus from Ilford to Victoria on the top deck through Aldgate, Fleet St, The Bank , it was a fabulous route which I still remember and often think back on that period of my life , in the meantime good luckj to you ,its nice to have the craic Regards Ted

Thanks Low Roader and Ted.

I loved the poem, and Ted was right I was trying to make up one myself, but can't get it going at all. Sure we all can't have talent like you. Yes, I have vague recollections of you recalling bus journeys home from days out, and I remember my dad telling about them amidst hoots of laughter. My dad used to pull somebody's leg but I can't remember who that was. Anyway, tell us again LR some of those tales and make us laugh again!

Liz

Low Roader, you know this wasn't your best effort. I am disappointed. You wrote a wee poem for Liz, and in a hurry too. Now I would like you to write a poem from the heart, using the gift for words which you have, and making the school come to life. I look forward to reading a proper rendering of your memories.

Morning Ann, I honestly think Lowroader fulfilled both you and Liz's request ! Give the man a break ,what about yourself I'm sure there must be something relevant about Hilden or the Low Road that you could express in rym ,I'm sure it's in the genes, by the way how's the cake coming along ?should one have it with fresh cream or just coffee ,bring it on .Regards Ted.

All this talk about Hilden and the school brought back memories and caused me to look up my poem about Hilden

donald

Death of a Mill Village ( Hilden )

Two rows of houses, back to back, with worn down steps of stone.

Once bustling with activity, now standing bare and lone.

I lived there all my childhood years when sorrows I had none

Where each new day brought games and play and boyhood joy and fun

Many chose to wander from the shadow of the mill.

Some left to go to England, some went further still.

To America or Australia, those great lands far and wide.

I wonder if they ever think of that place by Laganside?

Or of the sorrows or the good times where they spent their growing years.

I know myself when ere I think I must hold back the tears

For many a happy moment was spent in that old place.

But now it's dead, it's spirit quenched by lifetime's hectic pace

Donald Watters

Donald, With out a doubt the school turned out some scholars,and possible some poet laureates given the chance,

Hello Donald

That is a beautiful poem of Hilden, what else have you written, you dark horse!

It made me think of the new houses in Bridge St and the new people in them. What kind of community will they be? Totally different of course from your day, and maybe they won't know who lives beside them as the go off in their cars to work in the city every day, and what school will the children attend? Will some go to the Sunday School in Tullynacross like I did with my brother? Will they go for walks in the countyside like we did, to such places as Harmony Hill, not to see the bluebells or gorse, but to see the new houses?

I still love the road, I forget its name that goes under the bridge and down to the church and graveyard. It hasn't changed much and is still tree lined, and then over another little bridge with the river flowing away, just the same.

Liz

Liz
most of the forum have read this but it may interest you. Did you , live for any time in HIlden? I still remember your grandparents, aunts and brother Will ( who was a boyhood freind of mine ) living in Richardson´s Row
donald

The Mill Workers
On foot or bike, with bus or train. They came from far and wide.
Destined to toil from dawn till dusk in that mill by Laganside.
Still drowsed with sleep, or chilled to bone, with sleet or snow or rain.
They came to earn their daily bread, each day it was the same.

They left their young tucked up in bed, a fire burning in the grate.
A pot of tea stewed on the hob, then off before they were late.
For them the giant gate slammed shut if in time they did not come.
It meant a broken pay next week if to work they did not run.

To spin or weave to toil and sweat for two score years and ten.
Then end up on the scrap heap, worked out shells of men.
Thrown out, neglected, cast aside, to pass the time till death.
Relieved them of the boredom of sitting daily by the hearth.
donald

Very atmospheric Donald, I remember the feeling of workers going to the mill. Mum worked in a mill for a while, I think it was Hilden as she talked about the big gates closing just before she got in as she was a bit late, and she had to come home. Dad I think worked in Stewarts mill a while, but not for long as he was a builder's labourer.

I did sleep in my grandparents house in "The Row" I think when my mother was in hospital, upstairs was very quaint, and I remember buying sweets at the corner shop, but I didn't ever live there. My brother as you know did, and I alwaays enjoyed seeing him every Sunday when dad took us to Hilden on the bus. Aunt Betty told me not long before she died that I was a naughty child. I went behind the sofa, and was very quiet. When she investigated, I was making a pile of stuffing on the floor from a little hole in the back of the sofa. I suppose in those days children were expected to sit still and be quiet. I was never given toys or books when I went to Granny's. They were quite strict, but laughed a lot as well, and were very neighbourly.

Feels centuries ago!

Liz
I still remember your grandparents, your grandfather and mine were friends . Your Gran worked in Glenmore and I seem to remember her having a serious accident there and having to be taken to hospital.Will was in my class in Hilden school and after school we played together. I never knew there were upstairs bedrooms in those houses, they looked like bungalows from the outside. They had long gardens at the back where some of the residents grew vegetables. I mentioned it here before our aunts , = yours, Anns and mine once took us together to the Regal or Majestic cinema one Saturday over 60 years ago to see Doris Day acting in "Annie get your gun"! We met at the War Memorial at Hilden park and went with the train to Belfast

donald

Donald

There was a kind of upstairs, it might be more accurate to call it a "shelf". Does anyone know what I mean and can explain it better? A large wooden platform perhaps where there were beds. Very close to the roof.

Also the 'loo' or Privy at the end of those long gardens was terrifying to me. I won't say any more, I am sure you know them well!

All the writings about Hilden show how great an influence the little village meant to those who lived there. Liz's descriptions about the tiny houses and Donald's too are ingrained in their minds forever.