Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ulster Scots

"Gulder" or "Guldrin" is an Ulster Scots word, meaning to yell or shout. Pat told me there was someone called Gulder Gilmore who lived in Lisburn years ago. By the way, I found the meaning of "gulder" on Google. I would love to have a tape recording of my granny in full flow, because she used all those old words that have been forgotten. We do have a recording of her voice in conversation, using some of the expressions but not all. On the tape, I remember she commented on the grandchildren going into her cupboard, probably for biscuits. She could be heard shouting, "Those childer are going to eat me out of house and home". I wish we had written the old words down because even in those days the words were quaint.

Re: Ulster Scots

Ann
"the towns quare an throng"?. My gran said that when Lisburn was crowded. Another from my Great uncle Eddie when it was a windy evening " Thats a quare coorse night" Another from him when someone was dying was " he cannie go till his time comes"! I think it was the scottish dialect that influenced our way of talking.
donald

that was brave and good ?

I looked out the back window this morning and saw my lone bra hanging on the line. I must have missed it when I was bringing in the clothes last night. My word to Dominic were, "Look at that physogue out there on the line". I can't promise that the spelling is correct. Another saying, as Tom mentioned, was "she's awful brave", meaning the person was very kind. By the way, I brought the bra in and thought back to years ago when bras and panties were stolen off clothes lines.

Ann that's terrible my y/fronts have hung out all night and we're never interfered with, but my Jeans they wouldn't have lasted 5 Mins Regards Ted

Two friends arrange to play squash and meet in the changing room of a sport centre. One looked over to his friend and saw when he removed his trousers that he was wearing a ladies string tango. Shocked he asked him " When did you start wearing ladies underwear"? His friend replied " When my wife found one on the back seat of my car"!