Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
lets get together

Hi all,When are we getting together next week in Lisburn? Ted and Ann are not able to come on Tuesday so let us make another day. Ted and Ann the ball is in your court, make a suggestion when and where
donald
everyone is welcome

Re: lets get together

Donald. I can meet up any day except Monday. Looking forward to a get together. I know you like Wetherspoons so that will do fine. If it's nice we can sit outside. Will Eamon lowercase be gracing us with his presence? Wednesday might be good as Tuesday is Market Day but whenever you like. See you. Well in a fashion!!!

Ann,
lets settle for Wednesday unless Ted and others have another suggestion, hope to see lots there. 11.00am in Wetherspoons, upstairs or downstairs?
Was there yesterday, had a pint of Shipyard ale, not my taste. Will stick to Hilden Halt beer.
Donald

Wednesday it is then, looking forward to catching up , have to look for a clean shirt now Regards Ted

Wednesday is a date then.

Donald

Have the ladies clean knickers been dropped then?

herself forbid me, had to delete it

ha, ha, ha, ha, good for Herself!

looking forward to tomorrow
donald

A good time was had by all, plenty of craic and drink
donald

Most enjoyable morning enjoyed the catch up and the craic ,regretfully I had to leave slightly early ,thanks to all I enjoyed your company emensly, kind Regards Ted

ted
i accidently erased the photos, please send me them again
donald

Just had my reply deleted. I had said that it was good to see everyone and I was delighted to find Pamela and Andy there when we arrived. Eamon looked extremely well and I noticed that his appetite is very healthy as he wolfed down a giant Ulster Fry. Eamon has a very pretty, petite wife who mut be murdered cooking huge meals for him. Donald held court at the top of the table and Pamela and I caught up with each other's news. Phyllis is great craic and also looked really well. Ted had to leave a little before us but I enjoyed chatting to him also. Ted never changes. While we were there someone pointed out a person who I haven't seen for years and years. I have mentioned him on the Forum before as someone who used to walk me up to Gordon's Avenue after we both got off the last bus on a Thursday night. I was coming from Osborne's Dancing Class and Pat caught the bus on the Lisburn Road after working late in the butcher's shop wpreparing for the weekend trade. I went over and spoke to him; he remembered me and I once again spoke about the timer in the 50s when he walked me up the dark road. I never forgot that. Pat, like the rest of us, is older but still retains the personality that endeared everyone to him. I enjoyed the morning very much. However, like Ted, we left after a couple of hours as I had a hair appointment. I hope Donald and Phyllis enjoy the rest of their holiday and it was great talking to you yesterday.

Donald There on there way !

Today discovered Sawers shop, a few yards from where it was in Fountain Street, Potted Herrings were available one quid each, very hygenic not like some other place. Bought 6 so am looking forward to consuming them with wheaten bread and a Guinness
donald

Hi all, Andy and I had a great time yesterday, nothing like meeting up with old friends. Looking forward to the next time. Pamela

Donald, That's an exorbitant price if you were ion the market next week you can buy of Millagans a dozen herrings for 6 Quid and a little vinegar salt and pepper a few all spice and a couple of bay leaves about 40 mins in the oven and you have the genuine article , in the meantime Bonn -Appetite Regards Ted
PS Did the photos come through ?

ted
I was in the market last Tuesday and I could not see the herrings for flies, I saw an offer for herrings ungutted and complete with heads and tails for 11 euro per kilo. A little expensive. We ate the 6 I bought last night with a Guinness and wheaten bread for tea and enjoyed them as did Eamon
donald

Donald, I agree with you about the uncovered fish and the flies, which I abhor. However, the herrings I buy are from a reputable fish staff, which I have been buying from for years. I only buy the potted herrings pre-cooked and packed. It's difficulty for the stall holders and although I detest flies, I'm sure when they're cooked any germs would be killed off. Howevere, I agree with you about the flies in the summer. Yuk!!!!!!

Ann

just imagine a dog crapping in the market, a fly lighting upon it and then flying over and walking about one of the herrings which you later buy, cook and eat?Thank goodness we do not see all that happens. Some years ago I was at the urinal in the gents toilets in a pub when the barman left a cubicle and returned to serve food and drink behind the bar without washing his hands. Earlier no one gave any thought to such things, today, thanks to the media we are more conscious of hygiene and its effect upon our health.

donald

Arrived back yesterday, my neighbour picked me up at the airport and told me about a mutual friend, who when playing with his cat got scratched and is now in hospital with blood poisoning!! Are we not used to lack of hygiene now? Another friend often told about his mother who used to say that the human body needs one pound of dirt yearly!!
donald