Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potted Herrings

Ted / Ann
Herself and I had a discussion about how to pott herrings. I said that they should be rolled and placed on their ends in the dish, herself said they should be laid down. Who is correct?
donald

Re: Potted Herrings

Hi Donald, By Coincidence I took a great yearning for an Ardglass herring myself so on Tuesday morning I made my way to the market and by chance ran into William Gallagher and told him that you were asking after him and he wanted to know how you were keeping etc and he then sends his kind regards to you which I promised I would convey , to get back to the herrings I'm afraid there wasn't a local herring to be had, though they had what I think they were big scotch herrings which done nothing for me so I let the hare sit and just went into Green's and got some bacon cuttings and a cabbage and a bag of Dublin Queen's and had a gourmet dinner that evening , Donald while in Elmore's we would have laid the boned herrings out flat salt & peppered them, rolled them from the tail up and placed them in a tin were they supported each other with the dorsal fin sticking up then add the vinegar until it is just visible between the herrings throw a few seeds of all-spice and a couple of bay-leaves on top and into the oven until they turn slightly brown on top ,,then a nice salad a bottle of wine and a packet of Rennies ,Enjoy Regards Ted

Ted
herself is correct again, these smart women!!! When they are on sale Herrings have gone sky-high in price here. When they are available they cost an arm and a leg. The last ones I bought some weeks ago were on offer , gutted and be-headed for €11,90 kilo.I fried them on the balcony otherwise I would have incurred her wrath. On Monday I was in the Biergarten in the Viktualen Market in the centre of Munich with ex colleagues. I looked into the fish shop Nordsee but no fresh herrings were available. Instead was a box of 500 gram Matjesfilets in a pepper and cream sauce for €9,00. Matjes are young herrings which are mostly smoked or preserved. They did us twice ,accompanied by new spuds.When herrings are available again I want to buy some and pott them but will leave that to herself as she is better informed than me , her mother being an Ardglass women. I am the head shopper and dishwasher and any other menial tasks about the house. Some evenings herself has an extremely painful right forefinger , coming from pointing at all the things I have to do or did not do to her satisfaction.
donald

Donald & Ted. I haven't had any potted herrings this year. I don't think I could eat a whole one now anyhow, but you never know.

Donald & Ted. I was in Lisburn Market briefly on Tuesday. There were plenty of fresh Ardglass herrings to be had. I bought some, already potted. I ate one and it was delicioius. My eldest son called at lunch time and polished off the rest. Were you there, Ted?