Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carl Frampton - new World Featherweight Champion

I was delighted to hear this morning that Carl Frampton had beaten the reigning World champion in America. He wasn't the favourite to win because he had gone from World Super Bantam weight to Featherweight. Those of you who know about boxing will understand the complexities of this move weightwise and all the rest. He's a young lad from Belfast who is trained by Barry McGuigan and his son. He is married to a Belfast girl and they have two daughters. Apparently, this win will put him on the world map now, as well as making him financially secure for life. I'm not in favour of boxing as a rule but on this occasion I was rooting for Carl Frampton. Great news. The other thing I forgot to mention is that he is the only Irish boxer to have ever held the two world titles at the same time. As you can see, I'm a fan.

Re: Carl Frampton - new World Featherweight Champion

Ann, Found your comments on boxing very interesting, I used to be a boxing fan but am way out touch today had vagely heard of Carol Frampton but really surprised to hear he was now World Featherweight Champion Northern Ireland's first World Champ since Rinty Monghahan While I was the Royal Navy Boy's Training School HMS St.Vincent I used to sometimes spar with one of the Officers cooks,he was really good and just teased me. his name was Randy Turpin who went on to become World Middleweight Champion at that time I was 16years old he was 18 and doing his National Service. Mauri

Hi Ann and Mauri,

Watched the fight on Saturday night along with other Irish Club friends. What a fight, non-stop. He made us proud to come from the same part of the world. He was very gracious in his post fight interview, I know he endeared himself to the Americans.....long may he reign.

Beano

Mauri, my goodness; imagine you working alongside Randolph Turpin; even I remember that name - must have been from the early 50s. My father and brothers always listened to boxing and sport and I had no option but to listen in too, so that's how I know about Randolph Turpin. You've bin everywhere, man.!!!!!! Another one for the book.

Yes Ann, Randolph (Randy) Turpin was a real nice guy from Birmingham, his brother Dick was also a well known boxer though he soon faded from the scene. Randy won his middleweight title by beating Sugar Ray Robinson in London in 1951 but lost it again in a return bout in New York, he had several other fights with relatively unknowns. There had been attempts made to fight Dave Sands from Australia but unfortunately Sands was killed in a car accident before this could be arranged. He then went into wrestling for a while had married problems and committed sucicide though I forget which year. Mauri