Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missing Persons

I wonder what has become of Donald? He hasn't been on for a while and I just hope he's well. Maybe Eamon lowercase will let us know. I have given up all hope of Low Roader coming back on, but Dabbler is surely still looking in. I would love to know his opinions on the British withdrawal from the EU. His comments would be appreciated.

Re: Missing Persons

Ann, you're Queen of the Exiles. You keep it going and we miss you when you go on holiday. Hope you and Him had a lovely time. And yes, we voted "out" and that's what we got!

Ann
I wonder what has become of Donald? He hasn't been on for a while and I just hope he's well. Maybe Eamon lowercase will let us know. I have given up all hope of Low Roader coming back on, but Dabbler is surely still looking in. I would love to know his opinions on the British withdrawal from the EU. His comments would be appreciated.

I have not been able to post since June 14, then herself and I were in Grand Canarian for a week since 22 June, came back yesterday at midnight after a four-hour flight and a one hour delay in taking off.Maybe someone here could tell me why we say " a one hour delay " despite "o" being a vowel and normally should be said with "an" . Another example is a consonant which should be written with "a" but must be written with "an" is "an hour " Myself being "an" honest man ( another unexplainable exception) has no explanation.
donald

Ann, What are your thoughts about the UK withdrawal from the European market?, personally not having lived in the UK since whey entered the common market I don't know enough about the pros and cons,though from what I have read I don't think its going to be to their advantage especially as Scotland and Northern Ireland voted strongly to stay in, does this mean that eventually the UK can break up as well???. Mauri

Hi Donald, glad to see you're back with us. I'm sure you had a great time in the Canaries. Which one did you visit? We can get nowhere without Tess so just holiday at home. Donald, you haven't been paying attention when I explained about vowels and consonants. The 'A' or 'An' applies according to the SOUND of the following word. So, "a one" sounds like "Wun", hence the vowel before. Same when using consonants. The English language is the most difficult to learn and you can see why. Dominic always says, "if you understand what it means, why worry" However, I'm a stickler for punctuation, etc, more fool me. A wrong spelling just jumps out at me.

Ann,
we went to Gran Canaria, to Playa del Ingles. I was surprised how many Irish pubs and restaurants were there. We didn´t visit any as we had booked all-inclusive. What disappointed me was how inaccessible the beach was, only by going down steps or in an elevator. Tyrella beach is much superior and easier to get to.
donald

Ann, my sister Joan died today oo her76th birthday.
Joe.

As I posted that in the early hours,it was already the next day, so Joan died yesterday..

Opting out of the EU means we will spend many years building relationships with other countries before our economic, social, and military stability reaches its present standard. Anyone retiring on a private pension after 2018 should examine their financial position carefully.

After exit the U.K. Is less stable than at any time since the Second World War.

Mauri, personally I voted to remain in the EU because we knew what we had when we were in the European Union. However, speaking in seafaring jargon to suit yourself, we are now in unchartered waters. The majority of people in NI voted to remain, as did Scotland. It remains to be seen how this will pan out in the future. It won't affect people over 55 years of age apparently (that's me) but the young may find themselves in diffs later on. All will be revealed. I think it's a mistake, but what do I know?!!!!

Dabbler, I am really sorry to hear of Joan's death. Had she been ill? The last memory I have of "wee Joanie" is when we were both at primary school. I remember her as a nice wee girl with chestnut coloured hair. I never saw Joan again after we left school. Did she leave Lisburn and go to England?. Whatever she did, I hope she was happy. May she rest in peace.

Donald, I think the best Canary island is Tenerife. Regarding beaches on the Canary Islands, what do you expect from volcanic terrain? Silver white sand? Duh!! Anyhow, the weather is the reason most people go there. I'm sure you have a great tan. I can imagine you made good use of the all-inclusive package. How many pounds have you put on?????? Better get on a diet.

Dabbler, thanks for your comments on the British withdrawal from the EU. I knew you would have something sensible to say and I totally agree with your comments. Another wee question, Dabbler, Who will the new Prime Minister be? Any bets? I think it will be Theresa May because Mr Gove shot himself several times in the foot by his betrayal of Boris Johnson. Politics is a dirty game but someone has to do it.

Dabbler, My deepest sympathy on the passing of your sister,always a very sad occasion when a family member passes on. Hope you are keeping well yourself. Mauri

So sorry Dabbler to learn of Joan's R.I.P death or as I knew her Joanie was a lovely girl always with a smile and liked a laugh she was in my class at school St. josephs. Her best friend was Kathleen Burns Antrim Street. MAY SHE REST IN PEACE.

Re: Sisters Death .

Hi Joe (Dabbler )

Our sympathies ,along with others ,go to you and your family ,on the death of your sister. I am sure you have many happy memories ,of the past ,and childhood , to be a comfort ,in you time of sorrow .

Thomas & Evelyn

Dabs,

So sad to hear of your sister's death, it is always a heartbreak. We must all expect life to end, however it does not make it any easier to say Goodbye.

May your happy childhood memories sustain you. I didn't know Joanie, but heard she was a very nice girl at the Convent School. May she rest in peace.

All our thoughts are with you at this time. Pat

Is everybody hiding?
donald

Donald, I haven't been on the Forum lately because I really have nothing very much to say which would be of interest. We've talked about the Low Road and Hilden, the characters therein, the schools, the exploits we had, the wee pool and all of those memories from childhood. I've come to the conclusion that as we mature, unfortunately we don't have very much to get excited about. Well, having said that, I'll give you a laugh. I was in town yesterday and discovered I had no reading glasses with me. Now, my sight is poor enough nowadays even with glasses. Without them can lead to embarrassment, but not at the time. I was in Marks & Spencer in the Mall and they had a sale on. I wandered up to the Lingerie Dept and noticed undies reduced. I had bought a 5-pack a week or so ago at the full price. I decided to buy another pack at the sale price this time. As I picked up the pack of undies, I mentioned to another woman, who was around my age, that it was a pity they hadn't a different colour as these were the same colour as the previous pack. The woman didn'tt say anything. When I got home, I was showing Dominic my purchases. When it came to the undies, he exclaimed, "those are thongs". God, no wonder the woman never spoke. I returned the thongs today but I had to laugh at the thought. I'm sure they are not comfortable to wear, but maybe somone else will know. , just imagine!!!!!!

Ann
wasn´t the word thong often quoted in the Bible? If I´m not mistaken it described a group of unbelievers as " A heritage thong"?
donald

ann I know I normally lurk but your recent post about thongs stirred the old juices. I say to you wear the thongs with pride and bring a smile to dominics face. what I think you should do is don your skimpiest one and do a bit of pole dancing at weatherspoons on a Thursday afternoon.

Donald, I'm sure you're jesting and I think the word you mean is "throng". However, I could be wrong as we weren't encouraged the read the Bible, God knows why.

Eamon, re wearing the thong in Wetherspoons and pole-dancing, I can safely say that EVERYONE would be smiling - in sympathy. The very thought. Seriously, they must be very uncomfortable. By the way, I took them up the very next day and got them changed for something more suitable AND comfortable. Now if there had been thongs when we were young.!!!!!!!!!!

Ann
Donald, I'm sure you're jesting and I think the word you mean is "throng". However, I could be wrong as we weren't encouraged the read the Bible, God knows why.

Ann
you are correct, I was pulling your leg. "Throng" means a crowd, my gran , when returning from shopping in Lisburn would often say " The town was very throng this morning"
donald

Donald, sometimes I can be very naïve believe it or not. I remember when the Speaker in the Houses of Parliament announced, "Ayes to the left" "Nos to the right" I thought it was "Eyes to the right" "Nose to the left". Not many people would admit this but I don't mind. I truly thought that was what the Speaker meant. Naïve - sometimes.!!!!