Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Book Reading

How many of you enjoy reading books, I used to read a lot especially at sea now its mainly the newspapers, however I do have a small library in what we call the den with around 250 books of various subjects and fiction. I have started to read some of the older ones and have just finished "From here to Eternity" and before that "Collision Course" the story of the collision between the Swedish liner "Stockholm" and the Italian liner "Andrea Doria" in 1956 in the shipping channel approach to New York harbour and although it was obviously the Italian's fault at the subsequent court of enquiry a settlement was reached between the two parties.
"From Here to Eternity" was of course turned into a first class movie with "Burt Lancaster", "Montgomery Clift" "Frank Sinatra" and "Debbie Kerr" Although I have read these books a long time ago I stil enjoyed the re-reading of them and am about to start on the "Naked Edge", better get off before I am spammed as I already have been once. Mauri

I

Mauri, as you may know I was a voracious reader. When I was growing up I loved the Heidi stories and read and re-read them, imagining myself living up in the alps in that simple but happy world in the books. As a teenager I discovered AJ Cronin and read I suppose all his novels. At night class studying Literature I was introduced to the classics and a new and very enjoyable phase of reading was opened up to me. I have spent my life reading all kinds of books -- autobiographies, historical novels, fiction and any kind of well written book. However, with this deterioration in my sight, I can no longer read books or even a newspaper, not without a magnifying glass, which is a nuisance. I wouldn't even attempt to read a book now. So, Mauri, enjoy reading while you still have good eyesight because, believe me, you really don't appreciate it until its gone. I'm not feeling sorry for myself one bit, rather envying you that you have the choice of that joy of immersing yourself in a book. Use your gift of sight as long as you have it. Keeeeeeeeeep reading!!!!!!

Re: I

mauri,
i read quite a bit, but a whole array of books. on tuesdays i go to runaway bay to tai chi and there's a great library there as well, and plenty of parking so i choose a few books for the week all sorts

Hi Guys, Changed my mind about reading the "Naked Edge", as I found in my library a book I have not read must have been given to me as a present way back, its called "Memoirs of a Seafaring Life" The Narrative of William Spavens,should be interesting,for me anyway?? will let you know later. Mauri

Ann, I really admire the way you are handling your eyesight problem, yes I guess I am one of the lucky ones who has never had any eye problems other than needing reading glasses for very small print,maybe its the hours I spent staring into howling gales and lashed by heavy spray (just joking).stay cool.

Ted, I assume those places you mention are Malls,I never done a lot of reading in Australia only when at sea, in port the only thing I used to read were the beer labels on the bottles??? Mauri

Mauri, we've all said it, that you could write a bestseller. Going by the stories you have told us on the Forum, anyone reading a history of your life at sea, with all those adventures, would find it enjoyable as well as entertaining and funny. You should enquire about a ghost writer to help. If I had had your life I definitely would think about putting it in print.

mauri,
there is a shopping complex at runaway bay but it is a surburb in gold coast, people have houses with that address. there's also paradise point, mermaid waters, broadbeach, lots of exotic sounding surburbs
here. actually the surburb i live in is called labrador lovely place apparantly named after some area in canada so there you are?? tom

Ann, I have often thought about writing a book but that's about all,now I couldn't be bothered and I am so young who would take me seriously???. Mauri

Tom. I had replyed to yours yesterday but was spammed??? Anyway refresh my memory isn't the Gold Coast up around the Brisbane area though when I left Aussie in 1956 that area had not yet been developed yet if I remember correctly. Have often wondered where I would have been if I had stayed in Aussie as shortly after I was discharged from the Navy landed a job as Trainee Executive with G.J.Coles the retail store company even though I was slightly older than the normal employee. I have been back a couple of times the last one being in 1986, though it only seems like yesterday. Better stop or else???. Mauri

hello mauri
this spamming lark is not a lot of fun
city of gold coast is 90 kilometres south of brisbane and includes ''surfers paradise'' it's sub tropical so weather generally good. my partner lyn has a place in burwood victoria, so we generally spend summer in victoria and come here in winter. i have a son in each state. but the population has increased quite a lot. even brisbane, when i was working i used to come on business to seqeb south east queensland electricity board and spend a few days here, it was just like a big country town now, skyscrapers all sorts. thats life i suppose. but nice place to be if you like sun and beach and sea. good luck tom

Mauri & all,

After reading "The Wind In The Willows" a book from our school library, I became an avid reader of good books, the Classic ones at school. Lorna Doone, etc all educational but later I became a fan of Autobiographies, memoirs & true stories.

Every time we visit Canada I make for the bookshops, mostly in Orangeville & Creemore, where I have picked up some good stories of adventure & murder even of Irish emmigrants, like the Donnellys, who lived about Dundalk, north of Shelburne. Another good Canadian writer is Catherine Gildner, whose first book was brilliant "Too Close To The Falls".

I read now on the Tablet every night, in bed, I am reading at present "The Woman In The Van" by Alan Bennet. So far a good read, I believe it is now a film.

We were encouraged by the nuns to read a book every week from the library in class & it is a marvellous way to travel the World, learn new things about life & meet people through their lives in print. My favourite pastime. Gove me a book any day & I will treasure it for later in quiet times.

Hope this goes as the last one disappeared. Pat

Mauri, just do it. With computers now, you don't even have to write, just tap a key. If I had your adventures to share, I would certainly write them down.