Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Linenhall street Lisburn

My name is Harriet English I came from linenhall street in Lisburn and went to willie foot school was wondering if there was anyone who know me or my famil

Re: Linenhall street Lisburn

Harriet, my reply went into space just now. I had asked if English was your maiden name; also, what year were your born? what were your parents' names; did or do you have any brothers or sisters? Do you remember any neighbours from Linenhall Street? I'll be surprised if someone doesn't remember your relatives. We oldies on the Forum go back a long way so it could be someone may know your parents or even grandparents.

Harriet, I remember a family with your surname occasionally visiting the wee park over the county Down. There were your sisters and brother. It was our domain as we lived locally and we always took notice of visitors and we would whisper among ourselves, "that's the English family from Linenhall Street" You may remember my cousin Gloria Porter and her brothers Ronnie and Robert from Bradbury Buildings, where my grandparents (Gilliland) lived when I was a child. I was never in the Mission Hall, but my mum told me it was "I Owe Granny Tuppence". Are you still living in Lisburn?

Hello Ann thanks for replying. I was born in 1948 my parents were Toby and Minnie English and my brothers and sisters were Tommy , Jean , violet, Ann, Alec , Willie, Edie,Sam, Geordie, and carol. My grandparents were the counters they also lived in linen hall street. I remember some neighbours they were Shady brooks, John Martin ,Bell Andrews, Billy kid that's all I remember thanks again for getting back

Hello Liz. Yes I remember going to the park over the county down and I remember Gloria , Ronnie and Robert. They were some of the best days of my life.

Hi Harriet,
Do you by any chance have a relative called Betty English? I remember a girl by that name who came to the park with a friend called Christine Mc Guiness.
Terry

Harriet, being from the Low Road area, I have to say I don't know any of the people you mention. However, Shady was a good name. I imagine it was a nickname

Ann,

I think Shaddy was short for Charlotte, I remember Shaddy Bird from the Low Road.

Pat