Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cuckoo

Hi all,

Heard a cuckoo calling at 6.45 a.m. this morning. The call came from the banks of the Shannon about 2/3 fields beyond the back garden. Since then it has rained non-stop tho' the forecast is for nice sunny weather beginnng toorrow & staying all next week.......HOPEFULLY.

A Happy Mother's Day to all the friends in Canada tomorrow, enjoy the pampering, you all deserve it.

Pat

Re: Cuckoo

Pat, rain began here around lunch time and has become heavier as the day has progressed. A good day to cook or clean. I went out to the Meat Centre in Moira and bought some steaks and chicken to cook in my new slow cooker. I have a whole chicken on as we speak. I've never tasted one cooked in a slow cooker before so I'll let you know how it turns out. Tomorrow I'll cook a joint of silverside. Apparently it just breaks away when it's cooked. Dominic likes his meat well done so it will suit him. I suppose if you wanted it medium rare you would cook it for a shorter time. I intend to make some sausage rolls but not today. Tomorrow is meant to be good so we'll see.

Sunday May 8th. "Mother's Day", I wish all the Mothers on the Forum a very Happy Mothers' Day, and many many more.

Looking forward to seeing a few of you when we are home in August D.V.

Beano

I told you all I would let you know how the chicken, cooked in my slow cooker, turned out. Never again. It was cooked well enough but the pale skin made it look very unappetising. When I lifted the lid off the slow cooker, I got the aroma of boiled fowl - not nice. I'll be roasting my chicken from now on. The silverside was well cooked and passed the test. However, I've come to the conclusion that a slow cooked is really best for stews, soups and such like. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You learn by experience, etc. etc. etc.

Ann I wonder how Potted hrns would go in that yoke ?

Hi all,

Talk about wandering off the subject. No mention of the Cuckoo, a rare bird these days. Anyway, to continue, I heard one again yesterday morning in a different direction this time, across the fields.

No sign yet of any more swallows, so Summer is still to come, this w/end is to be good, so hopefully the garden will be our tasks for hanging baskets etc.

Joe had the job yesterday of cementing in a new circular clothes line as the other one was blown sideways & broke in strong winds lately. Not cheap, 60 Euros for the line, pity anyone who has not a handy husband or son to fix things.

Grass cutting today, as this weather has sprung up the grass, we have a man to do this as an acre is a big job now for Joe with 2 mowers, one electric, the other sit-on.

Wonder when I will get a helper for the house.???????

Pat

Sorry Pat , Potted Herns took priority over the corncrakes,I often remember when swimming at the Sandies or the Point the SOUND OF THE CORNCRAKE was very distinct as a matter of fact it was part of the season , long summer evenings , Mcconnells Hill was well attended and life seemed then so uncomplicated ! probable looking through the eyes of youth ,Pat the last time I heard the Cuckoo was about 10 years ago , 4 of us members of Donegal celtic on our weekend beano took the ferry from Burtonport to explore Aran Island and shortly after landing there was this Corncrake in full flow and I remember mentioning it to my mates but being from the city (Belfast) this to them was no big deal , Just thinking I have a photo of the 4 of us on the ferry Alas there are only 2 of us now, But Pat to get back to the item in question I believe they are going to introduce the species to Rathlin Island in the hope that it might regenerate the species there as I understand to days method of farming on the main land is not compatible with the rearing of Cuckoos , Regards Ted
PS Regarding our expedition to the Island we called into the first Pub as one does fell in with a guy at the bar included him in the first round whose name I still recall Mattie Rose Doyle who had been out fishing on a half decker that night and I understand a fair shoal of salmon landed on the deck that night and the rounds went round and round and lucky the pub was only about 50 yards from the ferry so the return trip was a haze , but please God someday I might get a chance to re discover the Island and call in the pub on the way back,Regards Ted

Ted, potted herrings? I don't think so.