Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A trip to Carnlough

Yesterday we took Tess up to the breeder at Slemish for her trim. This usually takes an hour or so, both the drive and the trim. It was a lovely, warm, sunny day. The coast road is very picturesque when it's fine. The scenery was beautiful, with the sweeping cliffs on one side and the Irish sea on the other Carnlough is a charming little seaside town with a small beach, but big enough to enjoy a good day of sunbathing. There wasn't a sinner on it - too early in the season I suppose. We had our lunch in the one hotel on the main street. I had freshly caught haddock. Ted, you would have vouched for the freshness because of the colour, texture and taste. I have rarely tasted fish with so delicate a flavour and I'm afraid I ate too much. I suffered for my over-indulgence last night with IBS. Thankfully, I'm ok this morning, albeit still feeling a bit full. After our lunch we took a walk along the seafront, had a seat overlooking the sea and just sat there for a while looking out. Too soon it was time to head back to pick up Tess. She was glad to see us and get back into the car. Carnlough is a lovely wee place. It would be mice for a short break, staying in the hotel. I noticed that at the weekend there is music and song. You never know, maybe we'll get there for a weekend sometime.

Re: A trip to Carnlough

Hi Ann,

As usual, a lovely description of a wonderful place, Doreen likes their Dulse or as we used to say "Dullis". Did you know that Winston Churchill stayed at that hotel??. It is said that he would have loved to have lived in Carnlough.

Beano

Ann, Refresh my memory where exactly is Carnlough, I seem to recall it is somewhere near Warrenpoint or am I way out???. Mauri

Mauri, Carnlough is on the Antrim Coast, somewhere between Whitehead and Cushendall. Any memories of where it is? Mauri, maybe you were thinking of Carlingford, which is near Warrenpoint. You have been away a long time so I'm surprised you remember anywhere.

Beano, I didn't know about Winston Churchill staying in the Londonderry Arms Hotel. However, on the way from Ballymena to Carnlough, we pass through another beautiful little village called Broughshane. In an old inn there, The Thatch, Prince Charles is known to have enjoyed a pint of Guinness on a visit to the region. ( I wonder if he actually enjoyed the Guinness, as I don't think it would be to his taste, but I might be wrong). We have had our lunch there too and they have photographs of the royal visit on the walls. Tiny little villages but very picturesque. Maybe you'll get a drive out that way when you visit in August. I can recommend either of those establishments for a good lunch.

I forgot to mention in my description of the scenery that as we were driving along a narrow country lane, out of the hedge flew a beautiful, red **** pheasant. It was very close to the car so I got a great view. Lovely little unexpected benefits from driving in the countryside.

Thanks Ann, I guess I have been through Carnlough but can't remember it. Shortly after my late wife died I took a trip over to Lisburn and my late eldest Stepson and his wife were also over there, he had been born in Lisburn but was taken to Canada when he was two years old,anyway I decided to take them up the Antrim coast road in my rented car to the Giants Causeway and we also visited the old ruined castle which I can't remember the name of where the "Irish Rovers" had a concert. Stan my stepson looked all round and when I told him about the Irish Rovers he said "Geez they left it in one hell of a mess"??? Mauri
r

Hi Ann

Thanks goodness ,the pheasant did not cause you both to crash the car .
Glad you enjoyed your meal ,and the drive .Hope the dog ,had a good day also .
Take care!
Tommy

Hi Mauri

Carnlough is on the way ,around the Antrim coast , it is the village with the Archway across the main road , on which the old railway ,used to travel up in to the mountain ,to collect lime ,from the quarry . I hope I am exact .
Regards!
Tommy

hello all
i read a while ago that liam neeson, origionaly from ballymena also goes to that pub any time in ireland. they have their regulars and have all sworn to tell no one if he's around, nice thought