Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ken Burns

More bad news ! I am sorry to let you know that Ken Burns passed away on the operating table early yesterday. He had been in for minor surgery. Ken was a really nice man and a very devout christian, a great golfer, a good business man and a great family man. So sorry to hear this news.

Re: Ken Burns

Hi Margaret, Could you confirm is this the Ken Burns that went to the Boys School and he is included in a Football Team photograph in the schools column here on the forum under the title Lisburn Boys PES ? Regards Ted

Ted, I don't know as I only knew Ken when he was in his teens. His parents had a mixed marriage and he had a brother John and sister Margaret. They lived in the Warren Gdns area of Lisburn. Ken would be about 80 his wife's maiden name was Melba Boyd from the Low Rd. Anne or Pat might know. Sorry can't help much Margaret

Hi Margaret,

I am so sorry to hear of Ken Burn's passing, as you say he was a gentleman in the true sense of the word. I would like you, if possible to convey my sincere sympathies to all the family at this very sad time.
Thank you for letting us know.

Ted,

This is the same Ken that is in the school photo, he converted and became a Born Again Chrisian over 50yrs. ago.

Beano

Margaret & Beano Thank you ! It's with regret to learn of Ken's death as I was at school with him and Of course Melba and her family lived directly opposite us on the Low Road ,Margaret if by chance you are in touch with Melba please pass on my sympathy and regards .Thanks Ted

I knew Ken Burns although only to speak to, as we say here. I knew his late sister, Margaret, as she went to our primary school. Unfortunately, she died quite a few years ago now. I remember Ken's wife, Melba. As Ted says, they lived across the road in the houses behind the railings. She was a nice girl. She would hardly remember me; however, if she does, and if anyone is speaking to her, please pass on my deepest sympathy.

Hi all,

We had a phone call to say Ken had died. He was Joe's cousin, the last time we saw Ken was at Rocky's funeral in Lisburn. He was a very nice fellow & he always kept in touch with his family circle. He was a school mate of Rocky's & knew all the Lisburn Lads from their schooldays.

I knew Winnie Boyd, Melba's sister, who was my age & time, I think she married Stevie Irvine.???

Our sympathy goes out to all the family circle, another childhood friend gone. May he rest in peace.

Joe & Pat

I couldn't let this go without comment. I had assumed that Ken was long dead, since nobody had previously said otherwise. Ken was my friend, a truly decent lad. I feel sorry now just reading of his passing.

Hi Pat,

Is that the Stevie Irvine who played for Glenavon???? If it is, he worked with a close friend of mine, Matt Crothers, in the plumbing/electrical business.

Beano

Dabbler, so glad to see you back. Hope you are well.

Ann, 80 in June, Parkinson's, birth family members plus old friends dead and dying; but yes thanks. I'm alive and kicking. and still love a story. About forty years ago I had a ten pence punt on Tom Watson to win a big golf tournament. He won and I collected at twelve to one. A few days ago Tom retired. As he approached the thirteenth hole where he and his caddy/friend had stopped on numerous occasions for a break, Tom Watson, golf legend, strode over to a low wall and laid a cheese sandwich wrapped in protective paper on a little wooden table, for his deceased caddie.

Hi Dabbler,

Delighted to see you back and I hope and pray that your Parkinsons doesn't cause you a lot of problems, "Old Mill Workers" are hard to keep down.
When I first read of Ken Burn's passing, I was surprised you hadn't commented, I remember from a posting way back that you and Ken were friends, you must have been about the same age. As you say a real nice guy.

Beano

Beano
computers stop working, AND I have spent time on Facebook, so haven't been in touch with this site. Ken was year younger than me. Parkinson's may be affecting my memory, as I keep losing things - I lost an iPod, but that WAS Saint Patrick's Day, and I foolishly drank more than I could handle.
You are forever in my mind as that nice mill boy. God Bless!
Joe

Dabbler, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we're all glad that you're back on the Forum. We missed you. I'm glad it wasn't the Parkinson's that kept you off. You're entitled to a wee break now and again. Talking about your forthcoming big birthday, 80 isn't old nowadays. They say 80 is the new 70. I'm not there just yet but I'm on that road. My birthday is in June also, so we're both Geminians. (the twins) Do you feel that you have two sides to you? That's what Geminians are supposed to have - two different personalities. My baptismal name Ann makes me feel different to that of my known name, Eithne. I prefer the Ann in me, but don't tell anyone.

Ann
your encouraging comments through the years kept me on here. It has been fun. I am not a believer in Astrology, but I know that I am a very confused character of diverse peronalities. LOL.

Beano
Hi Pat,

Is that the Stevie Irvine who played for Glenavon???? If it is, he worked with a close friend of mine, Matt Crothers, in the plumbing/electrical business.

Beano[/quote

]Beano,

Can't answer that question as I only knew him from going with Winnie when we were about 16 & lost touch with them once we all got married & left the town & cinema on week nights.

I believe he took over his father's heating oil business later in Lambeg, as he delivered oil to some of my school friends in the country. I haven't seen or heard of them for years, donkeys years.

Pat