Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where have all the Flowers gone?

Hello There,

The Forum is missing several oldtime members, where are they.?

We miss you & your craic, you are leaving it to the few to speak for the many this long time.

We are interested in your stories & your memories, so don't let the time pass without getting in touch again soon.

Low Roader, Brendan Matier, Frazer Wilson, Liz, Aldine, Dabs (hope you are well) & all the rest of the gang. A bit of Variety needed here.

Let us know you are still there, we are thining of you today.

Pat

Re: Where have all the Flowers gone?

Hallo,

As the saying goes "No reply from Doran's Ass" Pat

Hi Pat, I too have been wondering why the names mentioned have all disappeared. I knew Brendan personally as he was a telegram boy with me during the war and Frazer I met at a meeting in Brampton,so come on guys lets hear from you. Mauri

Pat, your reply to yourself gave me a good laugh before going to bed.

Hello Pat

Keeping well, still walking the dog down the towpath. Fill you in later on. New computer and I'm still getting used to it! I'll be in touch soon!

Brendan Matier

Talking about flowers, I saw a few bluebells yesterday

Liz, it's a bit early here for bluebells. We usually see them in May. There's nothing as picturesque as a stretch of green grass covered in beautiful bluebells. We have some in the garden, but it takes a vast spread to show them off in all their glory. I love them and their scent. They always remind me of the month of May in the Convent School. The nuns would have little bases of bluebells in the classrooms during the month of May. Funny the things that remind you of former times, small things. Maybe the perfume of a plant or flower, a whiff of cooking when passing someone's house. Memories are evoked instantly at these flitting scents.

bluebells are lovely. growing up in mckeown street our little gang used to spend a lot of time up antrim road and round the barracks.
there was a dam opposite the barracks, down a hill was a road round the dam. there was also a waterfall and standing there and looking up the fields the grass was vivid green and acres of bluebells as far as you could see. i still think of it often

Tom that dam you describe I think was the Lisburn Resovoir the pump house still stands with the date 1935 on it and I think it has now been landscaped with walkes created round the dam and of course there have been a large number of homes sprung up all round that vacinety in recent years Regards Ted

Brendan Matier
Hello Pat

Keeping well, still walking the dog down the towpath. Fill you in later on. New computer and I'm still getting used to it! I'll be in touch soon!

Brendan Matier[/quote

]Hi Brendan,

Look forward to hearing from you again, your knowledge of Old Low Road is second to none, we need you to keep us informed of past times. Hear you are as fresh as ever walking that dog down the line.

PAT

I wish I had a dollar for every time I rode my Post Office bike down that road beside the dam, was that Duncan's road or am I getting mixed up.if I remember correctly I used to sometimes go into the barracks from the Magherlave Rd deliver my telegrams and then come out by the dam and on up the Antrim Road to Pond Park or Ballymagash,this was during the war years. Mauri

Mauri and Tom We live very near Duncan's Dam. As Ted says, there are many new developments all around that area now but Duncan's Dam hasn't really changed. It has been tidied up and has a small park. I don't take Tess there as the dam is quite isolated with lots of trees and bushes. Plenty of women take their dogs there but I'm just too scared of encountering some weirdo. It would be just my luck so I stick to the main roads or parks or the line. (with Dominic)

My brother Maurice told me that our dad, toward the end of his life, asked to be driven to Duncan's Dam, where he had spent happy boyhood years.

Hi Mauri Your memory is still holding strong,at the top of the Magherleve Road you turned left into were the majors and high ranks lived and one could cycly right through that estate and come out directly facing the dam on Duncan's Rd ,Would you remember Sandies Home on the Magerleve road ? I always loved delivering there as you were always sure of a cuppa and a bun .
Regards Ted

Hi Ted, Sorry I don't remember Sandies Home must have been after my time in Lisburn, I do remember the Thompson Memorial home just before the entrance to the barracks if I remember correctly, and thanks for the photots etc of old Lisburn. Beautifull day here in Barrie Ontario sunny and a temperature reading of 10c and by Saturday up to 16c so we are heading in the right direction weather wise. Mauri

Morning Mauri Sandies Home was situated inside the barracks peremiter and I think it may have been private organisation catering for the squaddies and it contained a very large kitchen which served food and of course I was delivering fish ,this was around 194950 ,I must Google it now to see if it still excests ,glad to hear your weather is getting seasonal as for here we are experiencing a lot of rain in the north and I can't get the lawns cut as they are like a sponge and temperatures are still on the cold side ,in the meantime have a nice weekend Regards Ted