Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Titanic

Had typed a long story about the subject but was spammed. Anyway I may have told it before but can"t remember. Just finished reading a very large and detailed account of the Titanic tragedy. The Lookout who spotted the iceberg was a guy called Frederick Fleet who I used to buy my morning newspaper from in Southampton when the odd time I checked in to a hotel across the street where he had his newspaper stand, of course at the time I did not know who he was until one time afterIhad been away for some time he was not there and the guy at the stand when I enquired told me he was dead as appartently when his wife died his brother in law who he did not get along with ordered him out of the house so I guess with the loss of his wife and then eviction he couldn't take any more so hung himself, such a sad ending for a guy who had been through so much.he used to greet me with "Hello Paddy not got a ship yet"? What I wouldn't have given to have a beer with him had I known who he was. Mauri

Re: Titanic

Mauri you did tell that tale before. Even so still interesting.

Hi Mauri A great story ,O if only you had had that pint and the craic what a story that would have been ,but it's like that old proverb "Ships that pass in the night" or something like that. But never mind your stories never let us down ,Hope yourself and Joy have a great Easter PS I see Jameson's have a lovely new label ,I'm not sure if it's for the Centenery or not ,but the price was right ,
To all on the forum Have a Great Easter and everything in moderation
Kind Regards Ted

Thanks Ted and a Happy Easter to you and everybody on the Forum.

Thanks Ann for remembering I had told the Titanic story before,I was not sure myself must be my young age??? Mauri

another good yarn mauri

Ted, last week a bottle of Jameson's in Tesco was £18. On Easter Saturday, Dominic noticed it had increased to £22. He didn't buy it. However, on the plus side, a really good bottle of Jura (Dark Storm) single malt was reduced by £10 so he bought that instead. Same with flowers, after the holidays they come down in price. That's business for you. They won't catch us fellas out, eh Ted?

hi ann,
a bottle of jameson here is normally about 55 dollars,and can be more. thats about 27 pounds i suppose. i don't buy it often, sometimes a dewars white label instead, but have jameson occasionly. my son gets it for me at christmas and birthdays, so thats pleasant

Happy Easter Ann & Dominic ! Beleive it or not I bought the Jameson's for £16 pounds at Supervalue here beside me, they nearly always have a deal on either Bush or preferred Jameson's ,I hope they are open today as I need a topup Regards Ted

a glass of Sarsperella or mineral water tastes much better and is healthier
Happy Easter
donald

How Much Is It ? Hope you are enjoying the Easter Break Regards Ted

Ted I will tell Dominic to have a look in the store you mention. No need to pay over the odds if it can be bought elsewhere at a reduced price. He always likes to have a bottle of Jamesons as well as the single malt. Mind you, he's not a big drinker but enjoys having a stock in the cabinet.

Ann They still had it on sale at £16 yesterday it's after you pass Twinbrook on the right before the roundabout Regards Ted

Ted & all,

Aldi is selling Fleurie red wine for E9.99 this week while stocks last.

A bargain, I bought a few bottles, hope they last for a week or two, delicious with dinner. A lovely French fuity wine & perfumed too, yummy.

Tesco had a bargain with wine earlier, 6 bottles for 50 Euros

Pat

Ted, thanks for the info. Passed on the message to the boss. Ted, we're going down to Westport for a few days this weekend. Tess is being well catered for as my daughter is keeping her during the day in her house. She'll have the company of Colette's dog too. Then, after work, one of my son's is staying here with her at night. We are ready for a short break as we haven't been anywhere since last June.

Fair Play to you Ann It's a nice time for a break ,hope the weather stays nice for you ,bring us back a rock !Pat that is a nice tipple I think it got more expensive the more popular it got ,but then qualitys remembered were price is forgot hope it won't be long before we are into the Salads and the Whites Regards Ted

Ted, re the weather for our short break, it is to be horrendous tomorrow and possibly Saturday also. We don't care as we will be staying in a lovely hotel overlooking the sea. No cooking or cleaning, no dog walking. What's not to like? Bye

Hi Ann You win some you loose some, however a bit of quality time is not to be sneezed at regardless of the weather, and its nice to leave the must do things at home for a couple of days and to be catered to hand and foot and bring a bottle with you in case you have to stay in the room and look out at the rain, is there dancing in the hotel ? In the meantime have a great few days and drive carefully Bon - Voyage Regards Ted