Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pat's in trouble again.

Pat asked me to let you all know that she cannot get her messages sent. She can get everything else on her laptop but her Forum contributions won't go. I think it's an age thing - her age, not the computer.

Re: Pat's in trouble again.

Ann, I think you are right, it probably is an age thing. It's a pity how it affects some people. She probably was using an old Underwood typewriter and trying to get on-line, the poor dear !
Is there not somebody nearby who could put her back on the right track, like a grandchild or great grandchild.

Fortycoats. Wait until she reads your reply.!!!!!!!

Hey Fortycoats, You sure like taking risks, just as well there is well over four thousand miles between you and Pat.Ha,Ha Mauri

Mauri, I'm hoping that by the time she gets that old typewriter fixed, she will have forgotten all about my loose tongue.

Fortycoats, I passed on your comments to Pat. She laughed but you have been l warned!!!!!!!!!!

Mauri, I need your help. I'm looking for someplace I can lie low for a couple of years, maybe longer.

I've heard of the Witness Protection Program in the US but I am not sure we have a similar thing in Canada.

I was thinking perhaps of a relatively unknown Pacific Island, something similar to the Pitcairn Island, but that has been done before, by one Fletcher Christian after his famous mutiny.

So that is why I am turning to you Mauri, with your knowledge of the seven seas, there must be somewhere I can hide.

Try a world cruise !

Forty Coats, I would suggest Manus Island in the Admiralty islands just north of New Guinea which besides being a Royal Australian Navy and Air Force Base has also a detention camp for illegal immigrnnts into Australia, though my memory of it is where a mutiny started on HMAS Murchison while I was serving on her way back in Easter 1955,but it sure is a lonely place.??? Mauri

Thanks Mauri and Ted,

Any old port in an upcoming storm.

Fortycoats, Or how about the most remote island in the world Tristan Da Cuna in the South Atlantic ??? Mauri

Fortycoats, she'll soon be back. WATCH OUT!!!!

Re: Good Steaks !

Hi Ted & Ann

Do you know , there is a shop in Graham Gardens named PORTERHOUSE. I have been ,and the steaks ,are lovely ,and there are other goodies on offer ,which look good ,so I hope to be back . Just thought I would let you know ,as we all love a bargain . Hope all had a lovely easter .
Regards!
Tommy

Morning Tommy I forgot about that shop ,some time ago I remember buying a couple of T-Bone steaks there and the quality was excellent ,must remember to visit it again as it's beside the multystore carpark which I use when in Lisburn Kind Regards Ted

Hi Ted

Many thanks for the reply ,its good to hear you are still on the go !
Regarding my shopping , I did the cheeky thing ,and left Evelyn sitting in the car ,outside the shop ,and juked in , but my eyes were bigger than my belly ,when I saw all the stock on offer ,came out with a bagfull , some for our son ,and daughter in law . Happy Days !
When I am in Graham Gardens ,the memories all come back ,of the happy days ,at the (PIT)picture house .As the song goes MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS .
Hope YOURSELF and the family are well .If you meet any of the Burns Family ,Sean ,Kevin ,give them my regards ,from a Church Street Ex resident .
Take Care !
Tommy

Will do Tommy, I still run into Kevin sometimes in Lidls here in Suffolk and its a while from I last saw Jimmy as I dont be in the town that often now, Tommy I'm afraid I am a bit like yourself regarding shopping, on the way from the Pool this morning I went into Lidl's for a jar of honey ended up with a Ham Fillet and a cabbage and other odds and ends and 15 quid down and herself isn't partial to the smell of cabbage , Tommy I don't think one should go shopping on an empty stomach really, Kind Regards to Evelyn and yourself, Ted

Are you receiving me now???

I can see that I am back in business!!! Don't know what that problem was;;;probably me!!!

Ann & Fortycoats,

I am in excellent thinking for my age, as TILDA, a study in Trinity College tells me. We are 2 of the people studied for Clare, 60 from each county. SO THERE!

I learnt typing on an Imperial Typewriter in Lisburn Technical & got Distinction in my exams. SO THERE!

Do not cast dispersions on a superior being to yourselves is my answer to you. I only argue points that merit discussion. SO THERE!

Whatever was wrong with my POST MESSAGE is fixed so we will say no more about it. SO THERE!

A good day to you both, I let the matter rest.SO THERE!

Pat

Tommy, I think I may have asked you this before not really sure, but did you know Billy Mcfactrict in Church street? probably spelt his name wrong, he was a pal of mine at the Central. Mauri

OMG !

Pat, good to see you back on, please forgive me for that tirade, I never intended to portray you as an old lady who was losing it. I was obviously thinking of someone else. Something must have got into me, perhaps some of that dew from Tullamore.

I always pictured you as a carefree young lady, flitting through the fields of Clare, could well have been an instance when I myself, was having a senior moment.

Please accept my most humble apologies.

Just curious Pat, was that an electric Imperial ?

Tommy thanks for the info about the butcher's. I have bought meat there previously and it's fine. However, I find that you can get very good meat from Tesco's butchery counter. It"s handy for me too when I do my shopping there. There's also a great butcher's in Moira called The Meat Merchant owned by Hannan meats. We go out there now and again

Beautiful meats,chicken, bread, everything first class. Another excellent butcher's in Moira is McCartney. I don't eat red meat or pork but Dominic enjoys a steak (if he's good). I roast a piece of topside most weekends and it does for a few days. Sometimes I get sick of the sight of chicken but I have no option. Fish is ok but I'm not overly fond

Hard oul life. eh

Fortycoats she admits it herself _ they're bloody well studying her!! We're treading on dangerous ground here. Say nuthin'

Hi Ann

Glad to hear you are well ,and still full of life . Give our regards to Dominic .
Regarding the steaks , our son told us about Porterhouse , and we were not disappointed . We got 16oz steaks , and we bought our son a T bone along with sirloins , am waiting for info on the T bone . Us Lisburn folk love our food .
Take care !
Tommy & Evelyn

Hi Pat

As my mother used to say (I wouldn't like to tramp her corns )Ha Ha !

Joking aside ,hope you are well ,after all the stress of the bad winter , and your wee home is back in order.

excuse me butting in to your recent posts , hope you are back on line , and the flowers in your garden ,are starting to show their heads .
Regards! to Joe .
Tommy

Hi Mauri

I do not remember too much about Billy Mc Fatrick ,As he was older than myself , but his granny lived a few doors from myself , along side Cecil Coates .
Hope all are well in the family .
Regards!
Tommy
PS Did you ever get some photos from myself ,regarding AUSWITZ CONCENTRATION CAMP .

Re:A Mistake rectified.

Fortycoats,

Apology accepted with grace & thanks.

As for me flitting about the fields of Clare, limping is a better word at present, but hopefully when I get the new knee I shall make full use of it. WHEN being the operative word.

The Imperial typewriter was not electric, we had to thump out the letters. It was hard to get accustomed to light fingering later.

The noise of the full class of typists on Imperials keeping time to Marching tunes was deafening.

Probably that is why Ann is stone deaf!!!!! Pat

Only the best for Trinity!

Ann,

Yes Trinity are studying us but then Trinity always takes the best.

SO THERE! Pat

Re: Only the best.

Tommy,

Yes our Cottage is back to normal, even better than before, with new ceilings & repainted inside, one bedroom & the living -room. New roof & chimneys
too.

The daffodils are about to fade soon as they bloomed early, but the tulips are showing in pots now & our Camellia & Forsythia are in flower, along with primroses & grape hyacinths too. Full steam ahead to Summer with grass cutting in force every 2 weeks.

Thanks for the interest, do you know the Burns's you talk about are Joe's cousins, his Father was reared in Ivan Street, your namesake, Tommy Burns (R.IP.) who was the butcher in Drake's lower shop in Bow Street.

Regards to you & yours. Pat

Re: Only the best.

Tommy, as you say, better not tramp on her toes. We've touched on a sensitive spot and I blame that rascal Fortycoats, safe from her onslaught.

Hi Tommy, No I don't recall getting any pictures re Auswitz concentration camp but would sure appreciate seeing them. I paid a visit several years ago while on vacation in Germany and Austria to Dachau concentration camp outside Munich. Mauri