Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
paris buns(or the lack thereof)

hi ann its nice to see you all back on again. for a while I thought lisburn had been nuked and nobody made It to the fallout shelter in wetherspoons in time. its no fun lurking when everybodys at it. now I only ever contribute when something of extreme importance crops up. further to your reference to paris buns (my all time culinary delicacy) I cannot find them for sale anywhere. tescos here in banbridge used to stock them but stopped some years ago. when I had the temerity to ask the buyer why? the keen young thing looked at me pityingly whilst looking round for a security man to usher me out of her sight. perhaps yourself or some forumers could help me out with an address of anyone still selling them. thank you.

Re: paris buns(or the lack thereof)

I remember faintly Eamonlowercase sitting in a pram,smirking, cooing and being petted by lots of ladies while being fed with half a stomach cake while I had to feed myself with the other half (Leibkuchen) which our mother bought in the bakery facing General John Nicholon´s statue when she could afford to. Paris buns came into fashion together with the "sliced loaf" , chicken noodle soup, Dolly mixtures and sun tan for ladies legs as a subsutite for nylons in the late 40s, early 50s.!
donald

Eamon , One possibility Jeffers Bakery in the square in Lisburn ?Bon Appetite

Eamon,I'm sure I've eaten a Paris bun not too long ago
It could have been in M&S or I may have bought them in the Windsor Bakery in Smithfield.

hello everybody thanks for your kind & informative response to my desperate search for paris buns. I will be in lisburn tomorrow (thurs) at my office (wetherspoons) inspecting the fallout shelter and polishing their poledancing pole. but armed with such reliable info from your brave selves I shall peruse the aforementioned establishments relentlessly armed with the knowledge that your good wishes and prayers go with me. rest assured I will not fail. for god & paris buns onward.

Eamon
if all else fails you can hire a private jet to Paris and buy a half dozen . They are still available here in the Vaterland but are called Americaner. Another name change here is for Frankfurter Wurst. Here they are called Wiener ( Vienna) Wurst, no idea why.
donald

Eamonlowercase, I think you're a bit of a card.!!!!!!

Eamon, The Regent Bakery in Banbridge have great Paris Buns. I will bring you some next week when I visit you. Try to hold on till then. Pam

Damon, did you ever find those Paris buns?

hi ann, unfortunately no I haven't got any yet due to not being mobile at the moment. my old friend gout has come to stay with me again. but all is not lost Pamela is coming for a visit soon and has promised she'll bring me some. Pamela if your reading this will arrange it shortly. still browse forum every day but I'm afraid I'm a lurker.

Hi Ann,

Damon....is that Eamon's "Bourne Identity"

Beano

Here is the recipe, our granny used to make them together with a dumpling at Halloween. ( after she had made soda and wheaten bread )

Paris Buns: makes 12

115g butter
125g sugar
2 tablespoons Horlicks or other malt powder (optional)
2 eggs
150g plain unsweetened yoghurt or buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
250g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pearl sugar to scatter

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the Horlicks powder and the baking soda and mix well. Crack the eggs in and pour in the yoghurt. Mix until a batter forms. It will look slightly curdled, but this is fine.

Sift in the flour and the baking powder and mix until the batter becomes a soft dough that pulls away from the sides and forms a lump in the middle of the bowl. Don’t overmix.

Place dessertspoonfuls of the mix on a baking paper covered tray. Paris Buns are traditionally a smooth domed shape with a slight point on the top which looks quite bosom like, so try and make these smooth and slightly more upright as they will spread while cooking. Scatter with pearled sugar and then bake at 220℃ for about 12 minutes. They should be a golden sun kissed colour rather than actually brown. Cool on a wire rack.

I was as pleased as punch with these. Paris buns could be a bit dry in my memory but the yoghurt in these makes them very soft and the malt powder gives them a stickier crumb with a beautiful glossiness. I had one with a cup of Suki Belfast Brew tea and it was the perfect combination. If you like your baked goods simple, do give these a try. They are so quick and delicious, you’ll understand why things that work well in Belfast are described as ‘wee buns’….

PS: I have no idea why they are called Paris buns. I suspect the shape might be supposed to look like the Eiffel tower. If you really squint…

During the second world war Parris buns were considered a real treat,I used to buy them when I could afford them in either Livingstone's shop at the entrance to the old Golf Club or Dowling's further up the Longstone. Mauri

Thanks for this Donald. As a regular baker of Ann's wheaten bread, I will give these a go. Just one thing, I think I remember Paris buns with a wee bit of lovely jam in the middle. Am I wrong?

Beano my tablet auto suggests words when I have only begun to type in something. In this case, Eamon wasn't in the tablet dictionary but Damon was. I hadn't checked. You should see what comes up sometimes. Must pay more attention.

Re: Gout

Hi Eamon

I have sympathy with You regarding (Gout)I used to think ,as others do that it was funny to have Gout , but it is not . Even the bedclothes are annoying when they touched my toes ,thankfully I am on a daily tablet ,and it seems to keep the gout at bay .It is named (Allopurinal 300mg ,maybe you are already on these tablets . You have my sympathy !
Regards!
Thomas .

liz
Thanks for this Donald. As a regular baker of Ann's wheaten bread, I will give these a go. Just one thing, I think I remember Paris buns with a wee bit of lovely jam in the middle. Am I wrong?

Liz
you are correct, the jam was added after baking with a injector.
donald

Tommy
I have been taking those also for some time to prevent Uric acid forming and causing gout or damage to the kidneys and calcium oxalate stones.
Professor, Doctor, Doctor Donald

Is everyone neglecting the site because they are helping Eamon in his search for Paris buns nationwide?
donald

Thanks Donald for reply ,regarding Gout . Us Mackie men have to stick together Ha!Ha!

Take care ! Mine Lebshem.Leebshem !
I hope pronounced it proper ?
Just a bit of fun .

thank you for the overwelming responce to both my plights. (gout & paris buns) am in process of resolving both. i have been living on max strenght co-codamol + the odd wee black bush for fortification purposes. i dont understand the caution against taking alcohol with co-codamol as it is wonderful. (just kidding). i go tomorrow to get knee drained and cortisone injection. so on wed i will lead a thorough investigation in lisburn's finest shops in search of the elusive paris buns finishing off in my office, wetherspoons after a prolonged absence. as for donald get back to your favourite occupation, checking the deaths column of the belfast telegraph at 6 o'clock every morning.

Eamonlowercase
thank you for the overwelming responce to both my plights. (gout & paris buns) am in process of resolving both. i have been living on max strenght co-codamol + the odd wee black bush for fortification purposes. i dont understand the caution against taking alcohol with co-codamol as it is wonderful. (just kidding). i go tomorrow to get knee drained and cortisone injection. so on wed i will lead a thorough investigation in lisburn's finest shops in search of the elusive paris buns finishing off in my office, wetherspoons after a prolonged absence. as for donald get back to your favourite occupation, checking the deaths column of the belfast telegraph at 6 o'clock every morning.

Lowercase,
Wrong (again) At 6.00am I read the Obituaries in the Irish News, followed at 10.00am those in the local TZ newspaper then in the evening those in the Tele. Have an Erdinger Weißbier tomorrow in Wetherspoons to remind you what a good beer tastes like.
donald

lowercase

no time to reply? Still out looking for paris buns? Before you go into Weatherspoons today have a look in the millenary department in Cummins butchers ,maybe they have some.

donald

Donald and Eamon lr case, you're both in fine form. Donald, my mother always read the deaths in the Irish News. We used to say that some day she'd see her own if she wasn't careful. However, I sometimes read them too. Eamon, I hope the treatment you're having gives you some relief. I understand gout to be very painful. I suppose as long as you can lift your drinking arm, it's not so bad. Keep posting and keep well.