Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rest in Peace M' Lord

It is with much regret and sadness that I must advise of the passing of my childhood friend John Dunlop, better known to his friends on the forum as Lord Downshire.

John died at his home in Willowdale, Ontario late Tuesday evening, March 15
He died peacefully, surrounded by his immediate family who have supported him unstintingly during his last few months.

John finally succumbed to cancer after a long battle with the disease.

Some of you may recall my long friendship with John when he and I were partners in the many pranks we played in our formative years.

Rest in peace John Boy, Stan your friend and cohort.

Re: Rest in Peace M' Lord

I am truly sorry to hear of John,s death. Dominic and I
met John at Jim Collins' funeral and we talked then. In fact, John recognised me from photos and called me over. He was a lovely man with a great sense of humour. I thought it was very thoughtful of him to make the long journey over from Canada at quite short notice, especially at his age. Showed just the kind of person he was. I shall miss him from the Forum. May he rest in peace. Please pass on our condolences to his family.

My sympathy to John,s wife & family on their loss.

John was a nice man whom I met some years ago in Canada when they were so good as to travel for a meeting of the Exiles.

Memory of that day is with me now, sleep peacefully John & thanks for the memory.

Pat

Thank you for posting this. I came to the forum to do that but knew it would be difficult to know what to say. You've made it easier for me.

John Blair Dunlop was my first cousin once removed i.e. my granny Doreen's sister Maud's son, my dad's cousin.

My dad was very close to John and his wife Gwendoline. When he moved to Canada as a young man, my dad stayed with them and the stories from those Halcyon Days formed the backbone of his memories of living and working in Canada. This love was borne out when, as you said, John jumped on a plane to be at my dad's funeral. It was typical of the man - sincere, strong, loving, and genuine. A real gent. The true Lord Devonshire.

His presence on this forum was greatly valued and loved by many. His stories and unique viewpoint, and humour, brought joy to many and created many virtual friendships.

My family expresses its sincere condolences to Oline, Darlene, Heather, Norm, Sandra and Blair and John's extended family circle and friends. I will also send the link to this thread to the the family so they can see the comments of his many friends on this forum.

An honest man here lies at rest,
The friend of man, the friend of truth,
The friend of age, and guide of youth:
Few hearts like his, with virtue warm'd,
Few heads with knowledge so inform'd;
If there's another world, he lives in bliss;
If there is none, he made the best of this.

Robert Burns

Really sorry to hear about the passing of John Dunlop,he his wife and Jim Collins who was visiting Canada at the time dropped in and visited with me several years back. Stan if you are in contact with the family please convey my deepest sympathy. Mauri

It is with deep regret that we learn of the passing of our friend John Dunlop.
Last time I saw John was in Tim Hortons in Tonawanda N.Y.. We had a great chat then about people we both knew in Hillsborough. He was a very nice man, he will be sorely missed by all who knew him.
Doreen and I send our sympathies to Oline and all the Dunlop family.

Billy Hanna(Beano)

Darryl,It is with deep regret that I read of John's passing I always enjoyed his input on the forum and your Dad always spoke of the family in the kindest of terms ,a sad day indeed Regards to his family .Ted

Beano, In case you missed it John Dunlop's obiturary notice was in Saturday's Toront Star,he is to be cremated and no funeral however there will be a further notice of a rememberance service at a later date. Mauri

Mauri, thank you for advice of John's Obituary, I have copied same from Toronto Star newspaper as follows:

DUNLOP, John Blair —

It is with profound sadness that the family of John Blair Dunlop announces his passing on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at the age of 84. John passed away surrounded by family after a challenging battle with prostate cancer.

Beloved husband of Gwendoline (Oline) for 61 years. Dear brother of Norma, Jean, Walter, Donald, Wesley (deceased) and Bill. He will be deeply missed by his children Darlene (Rob), Heather (Terry), Norman, Sandra (Chris) and Blair (Sue). Lovingly remembered as "Papa" by his eight grandchildren, Brennen, Jaclyn, Ryan, Justin, Kaley, Alexandra, Nathan and Marin. Fond uncle to many nieces and nephews both here and abroad.

In accordance with John's wishes, he will be cremated and there will be no funeral. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre or the Mount Sinai Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care. His many friends and family in Ireland, Scotland, Australia and Canada are invited to gather to celebrate his life's journey at a remembrance gathering, the details of which will be announced in the coming weeks.

Friends and family are invited to send condolences to the family at www.rskane.ca

I got a reply from John's family to my email sending condolences and sharing it here to reach anyone in the Toronto area that may wish to attend the celebration of his life:

Thank you for your kind words about Dad. He got many hours of enjoyment reading , writing and reminiscing about the old days on the Lisburn Forum as Lord Downshire. Thank you for posting the notice of his passing. I am attaching a copy of our Memorial Card which will be given to those who are able to attend the Celebration of Life on April 3rd. If you would like to post it on the Forum, maybe some of the exiles who are within driving distance to Toronto may wish to attend.

Thank you again for your kindness.

DETAILS

Celebration of Life

Date: April 3, 2016

Place: Novotel Hotel – Gibson Ballroom
3 Park Home Avenue, North York
(Underground Parking Available for $5 paid at front desk with parking ticket)

Time: 1pm - 4pm

Memorial Tribute and Toast at 2pm

Light fare and refreshments will be served

In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation
to the Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre or the
Mount Sinai Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nTOpizNnAPIjz02VqBsVEDhtxIBIJn2500HOCYLbMyc/edit?usp=sharing

I am Oline's cousin living just outside Dromara and have spent many happy times with John and Oline and their family both here in Canada and Marco Island. John sent me a farewell e-mail before Christmas 2014 he did not expect to be around for over a year later. His request was that we meet in The Brown Been Coffee Shop In Lisburn and remember him.
I winder if this could be arranged.
My only contact would be with Oline's family here and with John's brother Wesley's widow. Could I leave this with you Darryl. I did meet your Dad a few time when he was living in Banbridge.
Looking forward to hearing from you . Joan