Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back Lane

Hi there,
Does someone mind telling me where Back Lane was in Lisburn? I have a sense it was near, or at Piper's Hill? The reason I ask is that my g-g-grandmother, Ellen Dugan, lived there at some stage in the 1840s, before she emigrated to Australia.

Would be very appreciative if someone could enlighten me.

Cheers
Carol.

Re: Back Lane

Carol If my memory serves me right It may have been the lane behind the old Gas Works with the large gasometers on the left as you walked towards Church St ,Regards Ted

Ted
There was a "toss" there if I remember .
donald

Hi Carol I would suggest that you log on to All things Lisburn old and new and scroll down to you find a picture Entitled Hill Street on the right hand side of the picture were the white line on the road is I'm almost sure that is the Back Lane were it joins Hill St and in the distance is Pipers Hill, maybe Thomas or someone will confirm or disagree Regards Ted

Ted,

You are right there was a wee shop at the top of Hill St, on the left & down the lane beside it was called the Back Lane.

I think you came out again bottom of Bridge St. then we used to walk over the Union Bridge onto Canal St. & home by the Lagan to the 41's.

Memories of happy sunlit evenings. Pat

Thanks Pat ,Were the Back Lane joined Bridge St there was also a small shop and I'm wondering was the name Lizzie Nicolson's and you could have bought a small glass of lemonade for coppers and at that point you could have taken the towpath back up passed Wright's Peir were I often swam And on up to the six locks ! Donald does The Hallow ring a bell ? I think that was were the toss was the expression "Down the hallow" seems very familiar,Pat the summers difinitly were memorable and warmer and most of all and the best of times ,Regards Ted

Ted
correct, I was confusing the hollow with the back lane. The hollow could also be accessed through a passage between the bookies and pub from Bridge Street.
donald

Donald There use to be an entrance at the back of Harry Eastwood's bar which was situated beside the gasworks, and it was very convenient to the toss Regards Ted

Hi Carol

Welcome to the (LISBURN EXILES FORUM)
As ted and all have said the back lane would have extended from bridge street ,on up to the bottom of church street.
If you were going from bridge street , the shop that Ted mentioned ,was indeed (LIZZIE NICOLHSONS) AND IT WAS ON THE EDGE OF THE LAGAN . On up the back lane ,the gasometers (TWO)were on the left

The hollow was over on the right ,and close to the back of the buildings ,on bridge street. It was famous for pitch and toss .
On up the lane , there was a smaller lane to the right ,which led around to the middle of pipers hill ,were (COULSONS LINEN FACTORY WAS )
Going onward ,on the back lane , there were two shops at the junction of (BARNSLEYS ROW)one on the left was Mrs Donaghy , and the other ,I have forgotten the name . It was on the other side of the road .Also on the opposite side ,was (MC COMISKY UPHOLSTERERS)Going straight up the back lane led to (CHURCH STREET)
Hope this description is helpful to you ,and not too confusing ,and you have good results ,in tracing your family tree .
Regards! Tommy

Afternoon Tommy, Thanks for your perfect description of the Back Lane , If only that it confirms that there is still a little grey matter still there ( With me),Pity you couldn't tell me what I had for breakfast this morning ?Kind Regards Ted

Hi carol,
if you look at old Lisburn photos for Hill street looking to Market lane.
The house gable with three chimney pots is No 13. the back lane was between No's 13 and 15 Hill street and went round past the wee factory to Barrack lane. If I remember right there was five houses. I lived in No11 hill street.
Donachy's shop was at the top of Barrack lane which went down past the back doors of the gas works to Lizzie Nichelsons wee shop by the river. The flour mill was next door to the junction with Bridge street. There were several houses in Barrack lane I knew most but cannot remember any names.
Leo

back lane ran from bridge street right onto church street and down to exit on what was Dublin road or Hillsborough road

Hi Leo

I think a gentleman named (DAN MC FALL)lived in one of the houses at the BACK LANE ,just across from Mrs Nicolhson.,s shop ,and he used to sit outside ,the front door ,
Regards!
Tommy

I just wanted to correct a name on two "Back Lane" posts. The corner shop at the corner of the Back Lane and Hill St., was, " DONEGAN's". I introduced the late Jackie Donegan to his future wife Olive Haire......all this just to get the name right.

Beano

Back lane

The shop was owned by my Aunt Ginny and I do remember Jackie and Olive.I have many happy memories of the wee shop and the big stone opposite at the junction of hill st. and Back Lane,where I was always reminded I went to "work".I was about2 mind you.I often wonder what happened to that stone-I can remember its exact shape to this day.Aunt Ginny was the kindest person you could ever wish to meet and I have often thought every child should have an Aunt Ginny.

Re: Back lane

Hi Allen,

I remember your Aunt Ginny very well, she was a very pleasant lady.

I had forgotten about the big stone, glad you mentioned it,I passed it every time I up went to see my Aunt in Ivan St.

I also remember a Doreen Donegan singing in Christ Church choir, was she a cousin of yours????.

I see we have the same 5hr.time difference...where do you live????.

Beano

Re: Back lane

hi Beano Aunt Ginny was indeed a lovely person, my earliest memories are being entertained in the house which was accessed from the wee shop.Doreen was her daughter and she did indeed sing in the Christ Church choir.Aunt Ginny and my maternal grandfather,John Allen were sister and brother.That you remember the big stone is amazing.

Beano, I don't know anything about Back Lane. However, you mention a girl named Olive Haire. I wonder is she the same Olive Haire who I know. She worked in Barbour Threads. I knew her sister, Anna, better because she worked in the offices. There is another sister whose name I cannot recall. As far as I remember, Anna told me that the family originally were from Coleraine.

Hi Ann,

Yes that is the same Olive Haire. There were five sisters, Doris,Helen, Olive, Anna and a younger one whose name escapes me. They lived in the top right side of Mercer St. I was very good friends with both Olive and Anna,the whole family were very nice. Incidentally their cousin Jean Kelly(McCLOY) did Irish dancing with Pat. By the way Jean has just gone to live with her daughter in a lovely home in Niagara-on the Lake, I think you visited the town once

Beano

Beano, my reply just disappeared. I had said that Lisburn being a small place I'm sure most of us shared friends or colleagues without even being aware of it. I remembered Doris' name later, but I didn't know the other girls.

I thought Niagara on the Lake was a beautiful place. To visit there was a delight; to live there would be a dream. Changing the subject a bit, Beano, are you and Doreen still visiting Ireland in August?

Beano,

Niagara- on- the- Lake, I hope to visit there again, maybe even later this year, (God willing). Can't look too far ahead at this age!!!!!!

It is indeed a lovely little town, full of dinky shops & lovely scenery. Ann Bronagh & I stayed there for a couple of days years ago, right on the Lake in a little B&B .They hired out White Water equipment. It was a comfortable little place, good food & nice people.

I got bitten by mosquitoes sitting on the verandah in the evening & as the Nile Virus was rife at the time, I had to get checked out as I had flu' symtoms.

Luckily I was fine. Watch out for those mosquitoes!. Pat

Hi Ann,

Yes, our trip is all booked up,we fly in to Dublin Aug.4th. D.V.. We spend the first two days in Carrickfergus,then we go to Dundrum Bay for one week. My Nephew booked a holiday rental that will sleep up to eighteen of us, my sister Liz is coming over with her whole family 14 all told. Karen and her husband Bernie are coming with us, so, it will be a bit of a family re-union. I will let you know what we do about Lisburn later.

Beano

Hi Pat,

Hope we are able to get together if you do come to N-O-T.L. later in the year. That whole area along the Lakeshore is terrible for mosquitoes, also black flies in the fall....they all bite. It is a quaint little town and very popular with American tourists.

If you make it D.V. maybe we could have lunch in the "Irish Harp" that way we could have a chat better than we had in Brampton, that would be nice.

Beano

Beano, Dundrum is a very pretty little town. If you get the weather it will be the perfect place to enjoy a holiday. Not far from Newcastle. All sounds good.

Beano,

Look forward to that visit to N.O.T.L IF this knee operation does not get in the way. Will let you know when the time comes. Enjoy your visit home, great to have a family reunion.

We used to take the children to Dundrum Castle grounds every Easter, we sat in the shelter of the walls, while they trundled their eggs down the hill, it always seemed to be good weather if a trifle cool there. Lovely scenery.

Pat

Greetings all we were googling Back Lane searching for clues about an ancestor and came upon this forum

Lizzie Nicholson caught my eye and my heart started pounding
My Aunt& I are researching NICHOLSON's we are interested in a John NICHOLSON who was married to a Lizzie MOORE they lived at 1 Back Lane.

We are wondering if the Lizzie NICHOLSON that is mentioned here in this forum is our Lizzie NICHOLSON.
John NICHOLSON was on active Service in 1918.

His mother Agnes NICHOLSON passed away at 1 Back Lane,
we would so appreciate any help with this area.

Dawna & Noreen

Noreen & Dawna The 1911 Cencus has a John 34 & Elisabeth Nicholson 22 and an 11 year old son Robert living at number 9 Back Lane maybe this is of some help ! Regards Ted

Ted
Noreen & Dawna The 1911 Cencus has a John 34 & Elisabeth Nicholson 22 and an 11 year old son Robert living at number 9 Back Lane maybe this is of some help ! Regards Ted

Hello Ted,
Thank You for your kind response and the info regarding our John and Lizzie NICHOLSON after checking our records i discovered we do have the 1911 census.

We have hit a brick wall however and have been unable to locate John NICHOLSON's military papers despite the numerous databases at our disposal.

We do know that in 1918 John was on active service from an obituary printed concerning Lizzie MOORE NICHOLSON's brother KIA 1918.

We were drawn to the forum post about Lizzie NICHOLSON and Back Lane. We are enjoying the forum very much, Thank You for being so kind to us!

By the way, we live a mere stone's throw from Niagara-On-The-Lake aka NOTL in Ontario Canada. Would be happy to hear from anyone wishing info or who would like to ask questions about the area or perhaps a meet and greet.

Our Very Best Regards,
Noreen & Dawna

Hi Noreen and Dawna,

I knew Lizzie Nicholson and her family fairly well, a photo of her husband in a military outfit hung on the wall in her living room. They had four girls, two of whom didn't marry. The married ones were,to me anyway Mrs.Adams and Mrs Morrison,there off spring were Ralph,Jackie,Elizabeth and Jim Adams,The Morrisons were Robert,Anne, the oldest girl I can't remember her name. I will add they were all very nice people.

By the way where is your stone throw from N.O.T.L.. hope this is of some help.

Beano

Back Lane
Hi Noreen and Dawna,

I knew Lizzie Nicholson and her family fairly well, a photo of her husband in a military outfit hung on the wall in her living room. They had four girls, two of whom didn't marry. The married ones were,to me anyway Mrs.Adams and Mrs Morrison,there off spring were Ralph,Jackie,Elizabeth and Jim Adams,The Morrisons were Robert,Anne, the oldest girl I can't remember her name. I will add they were all very nice people.

By the way where is your stone throw from N.O.T.L.. hope this is of some help.

Beano

PS. I remembered name of the eldest of the Morrison girls....it was "Bell"