Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wallace Park echo

In the epilogue to his book "Once upon a hill", Glenn Patterson mentions a book written in Latin in 1834 by Henry Bailey " Work in Sounds". It described an echo in the Wallace park which was regarded as "one of the most extraordinary in the Kingdom"! as due to alterations in the town as lost. Although I found this interesting it was something I never heard off before. The only memories I have of the park are the bandstand where the Lisburn Silver Band gave concerts and the duck pond area where we walked with girlfriends.The caretaker rang the bell at closing time for everyone to leave.
donald

Re: Wallace Park echo

Donald, my reply disappeared. I had said that I hadn't heard about the echo in the park either, but one of my sons had when studying.

Donald & Ann,

I read about that echo too, it was over the Co. Down side. If you stood at the top of the Castle Gardens, where we used to roll our Easter eggs down a slight incline, near the Cannon, & called, the echo came back.

When the houses were built the echo disappeared forever unfortunately.

There was an acho in Trim too, but with all the development maybe it has disappeared too, I heard that one years ago in Trim, eerie.

Pat

Pat
I remember also as a boy our Aunt Nellie taking us there on Easter Monday to "trunnel" our eggs at the cannon, A few days before we went over to the glens at Hillhall to gather blossoms from the Whin bushes to colour them yellow.
donald

Donald, I remember going to the Castle Gardens on Easter Monday, carrying a basket with an Easter egg. We died our real eggs with tea. I also remember a lovely straw Easter bonnet I wore. I thought it was beautiful and can remember it yet.

Ann sister Ann,

Have you lost the plot.?

DIED our eggs?????? Time is marching on I fear, memory loss?????

Pat