Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
once upon a hill

just finished a book called once upon a hill by glenn patterson. it's great. he lived with his grandparents in antrim street and thats where i grew up as a boy in mckeown street gets a mention so really enjoyed it not sure of this going now so more later

Re: once upon a hill

Second time around, I read it also, Ted recommended it, only problem was I had to keep turning back as the names he mentioned were a little complicated
donnerwetter

don,
glad you read it also. i found it really interesting, the historical content and people being burnt out of their homes etc. but was also the memory lane aspect for me.when he came back from england he got a flat in bachelors walk and used to give talks in the robins nest. many a pint i've had there. and a fair bit on wallace park'. i'm still re reading parts of it. but what he's describing about antrim street etc is also about my time scale as well. tom

Tom,

Waiting for my Tablet to arrive from Amazon, I will delight in reading books online especially the one you mention. Love to read Autobiographies.

Glad to finish with the Library as it is a car ride away from us & not always handy as I take a long time to browse. No doubt I will visit the Library again as it is a good one with many features to please. At least it will be in my own time.

As I read only in bed, the Tablet will be better than a bedside lamp burning into the early hours. Looking forward to this Tablet, a 10inch Samsung .Cost 220Euros, including postage from England.

Pat

pat, good luck with your tablet, have to think about that myself. i'm sure you'll enjoy the book and there's mention of people in longstone and chaple hill with surname lavery, one is eileen lavery, so good luck tom