Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is Anybody There !

Either My Computer's Caput!Or lisburn Forum's down,Or No one has anything to say ,any one any ideas what's happening PLEASE SPEAK NOW

Re: Is Anybody There !

Ted

2 "nd attempt to answer you.

Spammed so no wonder there is noone online.!!!!

Pat

Hi Ted and Pat,

I have tried a few attempts to post only to be spammed again and again. I had answered Tom on the weather another to fortycoats.....lo and behold "SPAM".
I am completely at a loss, this one will probably go through.

Beano

Why have my last two replies disappeared.

Pat. Ann. Beano,This is my 3rd attempt the other two didn't even make it on to the preview screen ,no wonder there is no input

Ted, my latest reply a few minutes ago vanished into thin air too. No preview, nothing.!!!!

Ted
Either My Computer's Caput!Or lisburn Forum's down,Or No one has anything to say ,any one any ideas what's happening PLEASE SPEAK NOW

Ted,
Kaputt???? Very German !!!!
Donnerwetter

Hello donald

Donnerwetter I suppose you say that to all the girls ?

Hi Ted & All

Hi Ted ,what is needed now ,is for yourself ,and the wife to go to Johnny Longs ,for a lovely fish supper ,to calm the nerves Ha Ha .
As long as all are well health wise ,on the exiles ,is all that matters at the moment . I think that the computers are self inflicted pain ,but I love them all the same .
Have not heard any comments ,on Dabblers photo on Facebook ,regarding the beard ?
Regards!to all .
Tommy/ Fingers crossed ,not to get (SPAMMED )

Hi Tommy,If anything you have confirmed that there's still a few of us out there , Tommy I haven't been down to Longs since before Christmas so I might take your advice and push the boat out this Friday , Regarding Dabblers growth I'm not aware of the item ? must have a peek on Facebook ,Hope this finds you both well Kind Regards Ted, here's hoping !

never in the history of lisburn.com has so little been said for so long by so few. (almost Winston Churchill)

Eamonlowercase
never in the history of lisburn.com has so little been said for so long by so few. (almost Winston Churchill)

Remember him telling a lady who he called an ugly person and she said " You're drunk"! He answered " correct, but tomorrow I´ll be sober and you will still be ugly"!

When are you going for a dander down Bridge Street, Hilden for a chat with Ton Traynor, Mickey Sharkey or the Slipper man ?

Alas I remember two of them not the Guddy slipper man !but the last photographs I shared with Donald of both Bridge St and Mill St shows they have gone only Crafton Crescent still stands and of course some of the remenants of what was once the Mill and the ghosts of another time .I still like to drive down Bridge St and hang over the bridge and remember warm summers and walking down to the beetlers with the togs under my arm for a swim .God but life was simple then and no one enjoyed it more 'Regards Ted

Ted

the guttie slipper man was rumoured to be someone from the district who , during the Blackouts in WW11 and afterwards prowled about. He wore white canvas shoes hence the name, his real identity,if known was kept a secret from us kids and the grown ups whispered to each other who they thought it was.

donald

Ted, Tommy and all I want to check first to see if this goes before I write anything.

'Morning all'. We awoke this morning to a fall of snow. It sets a lovely winter scene (especially from the warmth of the house). I won't be going out today so it suits me. Tess doesn't like the snow. She peeped out the open door earlier, had a sniff of the air, and ran back into her basket. Ted, I see you were up in good time, well I call 7.30 'good time' these days. Don't be hanging yourself over that bridge!!!! We need to keep all our Exiles alive and well.

Eamon, where have YOU been. I'm sure you could regale us with a few yarns from Hilden School. You have to remember that you are one of the younger,if not the youngest, on the Forum. Your tales would be new to all we oldies. Not sure if 'we'that is the correct grammar but I'm sticking with it anyhow. My youngest brother is always asking about you; I think he and you are about the same age.

Donald, from what I remember, the actual saying by Churchill came about like this. He was at a big dinner, had several or more brandies and was entertaining all in his very distinctive, loud voice. This alerted a lady who came up to him and said, "You're drunk"! He replied, "You're ugly". "In the morning I'll be sober, you'll still be ugly". That was a good one, wasn't it? Wish I could think of a good saying like that sometimes. I can only think of things I should have said about 24 hours later. No use at all. PS. My computer battery is running low so that's it for now folks!!!!!

Hi Donald, I was very aware of the character in question as he was supposed to be seen in different locations namely the huts in Grove St , Grand St and about the wee park there was a name suggested but no one knew for sure , but it was always nice to have company if you were coming from the second house at night especially in the winter,Ann I am not sure but I don't review anything now and it seems not to Spam . Regards Ted

Ted, the SPAM has no obvious trigger. I find that if your name appears in several consecutive postings it will be spammed. Sometimes it happens after only one posting. Remember the good old days when spam was unheard of on the Forum?

here goes again. my opinion is that due to lack of maintenance the site has either been hacked, has been infested with a virus or malware. alternately the spam filter is too high.

Eamon, the site is fine, there is no report of any issue there. Also the forum is maintained by the hosting company that provides it and there's now problem there either. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

As regards "lack of maintenance" you're correct after a fashion. I am working hard to port the site to a new platform - with over 10,000 pages this is a mammoth task and will take time. The current site is hard to maintain with the way it was built - that's why I am planning to move things to a platform that will be much easier.

Darryl