Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This 'n that

I watched an old movie last night - "Annie get your Gun" with Betty Hutton. I wondered what had become of her as she was brilliant in the film, but she wasn't seen much after that. I looked up Google and discovered a lot of information about her. Apparentliy, she had a disagreement with the film company after she'd completed "Annie" and left. She had a tragic childhood, her father leaving home shortly after she was born. Her mother was an alcoholc. Betty left school at 9 years old and began singing on the streets for money. You just never know when you see someone on the screen what kind of life they've had. She died aged 86.

After taking my laptop up to PC World, I was seen by a big, lazy looking young male. It was quite apparent he was only interested in a sale, but I very quickly told him that I had no notion of buying a new computer. For goodness sake, this one is still under guarantee. Did he think I was a mug? Maybe he did, but I'm no pushover. He twiddled around with a few buttons and then told me that it was no slower than a laptop of this age would be. He said that my laptop is no longer made, and tried his best to impress on me that the new laptops are much quicker, etc. As he spoke, I noticed in the background the older man who usually helps me and without any nonsense. I so wished I had waited for him. Anyway, that's all for now. Dominic has a cold and cough, neither which are serious. He's being cossetted, fed, kept warm and supplied with lots of tea. He did have a Jameson's last night while watching the football. Hope this long post get throughl

Re: This 'n that

So what happened about your laptop? Did anyone want to fix it. These things are a mystery to me. This new laptop, less than a year old, has gone slow and would try your patience. It occasionally perks up and is OK, then sometimes, it just drags on with nothing happening. I hate computers!

Ann, Liz,
do either of you remember us all going with our aunts as children to "The Regal" or "The Majestic" to see that film one Saturday afternoon in the 50s? Our aunts were all workmates and they arranged that we met at the Monument at Hilden park,our aunts, Will, Joseph, myself and my brother Eamon. I would swear you were both there also. I will never forget Betty Hutton singing, " You cannot get a man with a gun"! Afterwards going to a chip shop there for chips.
donald

Have you tried downloading the new Windows 10 version? It´s free ( at least here ) for a short time for those with Windows 7, 8 and XP.
donald

Donald, I already have Windows 10. Re the film you mention, I cannot remember going to see it but I could well have been there. If my aunt went to see it, I imagine I would have been with her as she took me everywhere, including all the devotions and Holy Hour, Novena, etc. in chapel.
It's a wonder I didn't end up as a nun.
Just imagine _ Sister Ann.!!!

Ann
Donald, I already have Windows 10. Re the film you mention, I cannot remember going to see it but I could well have been there. If my aunt went to see it, I imagine I would have been with her as she took me everywhere, including all the devotions and Holy Hour, Novena, etc. in chapel.

It's a wonder I didn't end up as a nun.

Just imagine _ Sister Ann.!!!

thats your problem anne windows 10 delete it

Donald, your memory is better than mine, full stop. I don't know anyone with a better memory than you. You have described that outing before, and I do believe I was there because I have vague memories of it. My problem was that I didn't concentrate well in the cinema as a child, perhaps I was distracted by everything around me, and I was always getting into trouble because I was "hyper" and couldn't sit still for two minutes, in school and out of it. I am so glad you still remember so much.

Barney, we too have Windows 10. Husband says he will persevere (he is that type) but I am ready to throw the laptop out of the window. I hate computers!

Liz, sorry I didn't answer your question about my computer. It's ok apparently but I just thought it had slowed up a bit. probably slowing down to match me. To tell you the truth, I think its because my tablet is so fast that I notice the difference.

Barney, what makes you say that?