Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family Search Help Needed: Hilden

Hi,

I have been working on researching my grandmother's family and trying to find out who one particular person is in a picture. (Unfortunately, I cannot post the picture on here.)

Address: 1 Hilden Ave (AKA 1 Delacherois Ave)
My grandmother, Kathleen Hanson (maiden name: Maguire) was born in 1934; and my great aunt Maureen Maguire (Born Mary Maguire) was born in 1930.

Their father was Francis (AKA Frank Maguire), born April 28, 1895.
His parents were John Maguire (born somewhere in Co. Monaghan) around 1861. His mother was Mary Maguire (maiden name: Dunn) born around 1861 in either Co. Monaghan or Cavan. John and Mary moved to 13 Leamington Place, Lisburn sometime between 1892 and 1895. (Moved to 25 Leamington between 1901 & 1911 Census)
1901 Census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Lisburn/Leamington_Place/1002037/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Lisburn/Leamington/202510/
*Note: 1901 Record shows Mary born in Co. Cavan and 17 years of age when having her first child. Then, in 1911 Record she is magically born in Co. Monaghan and was 20 years old for the birth of her first child.*
Is this normal census mistakes? Did she just lie on one of them?

Their mother was Ellen Maguire (maiden name: Dowd), born around 1897 at 71 Craigarogan Rd. They moved to 7 Lambeg Rd sometime between the 1901 and 1911 Census.Her parents were Maurice Dowd and Elizabeth Dowd (maiden name: Thompson).
1901 Census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Craigarogan/Craigarogan/920480/
1911 Census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Derryaghy/Lambeg__North/197564/

Ellen Maguire (Dowd) died in 1937, according to the family story, of a stroke. My grandmother was only 3 and my great aunt was 7. So, 2 of Ellen's sisters- my g-great aunts, Annie (AKA Nannie) Dowd and Mary (AKA Minnie) Dowd came to live with them and help raise them.

I know for a fact that Francis and Minnie worked in the Hilden Mill. I'm sure there was probably more family that did, but I'm not sure who & when.

My grandmother, Kathleen, met my grandpa when he visited Ireland while in Europe in the US Military. He sponsored her to move to the US & they married in 1953. She was only 18 when she moved here, 19 when they married that fall.

My great aunt, Maureen, stayed in Hilden with her aunts until 1958. My greatmother was a young immigrant mother with 3 young children and no friends. So, after Maureen ended her relationship (not sure on the details) with Harry Kerr, a Scottish- Protestant Salesman she came to the US for my grandmother.
*From what I have read of Maureen's Speeches and how she spoke about Ireland to her friends, I'm not sure if she would have ever left if it were not for my grandmother being lonely and needing help. Who knows though, I don't think she was crazy about the politics of N. Ireland and she wasn't there for the 'Troubles'.
I get the feeling, that even though she loved the US & became a naturalized citizen in 1965, she always thought of Ireland as 'Home'. She lived until 2012. She never married. She worked at the Archdiocese of Cincinnati (Ohio) from the late 1950s until the early 2000s. Rumor has it that she could never have married Harry Kerr (Protestant), because it would break her beloved (Catholic) aunt's hearts.

*Family Search Help Needed: Hilden* - Continued

Aunt Minnie Dowd died December 20, 1960 at Forster Green Hospital. She had surgery on her lung. I'm not sure why she died a week or 2 after surgery.

Maureen came back to Hilden to help Aunt Nannie Dowd settle everything and help her move to the US in 1961. Nannie lived until 1975.
Story had that she brought butter to the US in her pocket. It melted. It was a good story to tell later.
*I guess she thought we didn't have butter?

Butter Side Story: My grandmother use to babysit my siblings and I. When she would make us sandwiches, she would say that it was made "with love". Later I realized love was butter. Only in my early teen years did I realize my friends had sandwiches with mayonnaise. I, the kid with the grandmother from Ireland, grew up with butter on my sandwiches.

Back to the Family-
So, a friend of Maureen's is actually still alive & lives in Lisburn still. The downside is that she doesn't have a computer/internet/etc and she is in her late 80s. However, I did write her a letter a few months ago.
She told me, in addition to confirming a few things, that she remembers an Aunt Lily (I am assuming this is Ellen's other sister, Elizabeth). Aunt Lily only lived a 3 minute walk from their house at 1 Delacherois Ave. She married "a man named Magee" and they had 1 son named Maurice. Maurice was a few years younger than my grandmother, Kathleen, (born late 1930s then?).
(According to an old letter to Maureen from Aunt Nannie, I believe Maurice ended up getting most of the contents of the old house before Nannie moved to the US when Minnie died.)

Also, I have pictures of Maureen and my grandmother in mid to late 1930s with "Brendan" and "Maura", who were believed to be cousins of theirs. Well, Maureen's friend confirmed they were cousins and told me that their last name was "Fox" and that they lived somewhere between Lisburn and Belfast growing up.
If they were first cousins, I believe it would have to be from one of Francis's sisters Mary or Ann/Annie Maguire.

This friend also confirmed that she believes the family burial grounds are Holy Trinity Cemetery at Chapel Hill, Lisburn.

Additional knowledge:
*Maurice Dowd (Ellen's brother) was in the Military and (as the story goes) died of an "accident" while in Eygpt & is buried there. I believe that was in the 1930s. I have pictures of the ceremony.
*Francis and Ellen were Married October 17, 1928 at St. Teresa's Catholic Church on Glen Rd. in Belfast. Witnesses were Patrick Sharkey & Mary Dowd. I have a copy of their marriage certificate.
*Maura Fox (the cousin) married at some point and became Maura Brady, had at least 1 son, and moved somewhere south to the Republic of Ireland. As of this Christmas card in 1972, Brendan Fox was still in N. Ireland.
*Maureen did attend the Technical college. She was a "civil servant" and she donated blood several times. She loved dancing, going to the Giant's Causeway and Portrush.

I have obviously found 1901 and 1911 Census. I have also found a few Marriage records and birth certificates from the Dowd side online.

I have a few friends/family word-of-mouth. I have Maureen's birth certificate & US naturalization, Francis Maguire's birth certificate, the Western Union Telegram Nannie sent to inform my grandmother than Minnie died, my grandmother's dance competition certificate that is in Gaelic from June 29, 1944, several post cards/ letters/ pictures..

In an idea world I would live to find out:
1) Were in Co. Monaghan and or Co. Cavan the Maguire's are from and trace that side more.
2) Find out what happened with the rest of Francis's & Ellen's siblings. (Who they married, if they had children, grandchildren, where everyone ended up, etc)
3) Confirmation of who is buried where and finding any additional clues on gravestones.
4) Who are in many of Maureen's old pictures
5) Who the girl in a particular picture is ***
She is my twin of an older generation. She is with another younger girl and an older man. I believe she may be a 2nd or 3rd cousin of my grandmother & great aunt. The picture looks to be taken for a wedding (maybe in the 1930s or 40s??). The photographer was Maurice Wright in Barrow-In-Furness, England.

I know this was a lot of random family information. I just want to put it all out there and hope someone has some insight that they are willing to share.
I plan on going to Ireland, at least, for a visit. There is honestly so many things I want to see, records I want to look up in person, and hopefully people to meet that I'm hoping to move there temporarily in a couple of years on an ancestry visas so that I have enough time to do and see everything I want to. That is several years off though.
So, if anyone can help in the meantime I would appreciate it.
If anyone wants to see pictures I can share through email or something.

Thanks in Advance,
Christine
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Re: *Family Search Help Needed: Hilden* - Continued

Hallo Christine, I know Maurice Magee and Brendan and Maura Fox. I think Maurice still lives in Lisburn. Maybe some of the Low Roaders could help you with that.Brendan Fox still lives in the family home in Lambeg, and Maura lives in the South. Hope this helps. Regards Pamela

Christine, my sister Pat will be able to help with a lot of your questions. I know that she would remember Kathleen and Maureen Maguire (as they were). I myself can recall a tall girl with fair curly hair who was one of the Maguire sisters. She must have been the younger one. Maurice Magee is alive and well and lives in Roseville Estate Lisburn. He and his wife, Tilly, have two daughters, one a solicitor. The second daughter is still studying as far as I know. Two lovely girls anyhow. That's about all I can tell you.

Christine, I made a faux pas in a piece of the information I gave you. When I referred to Maurice,s daughters I should have said 'granddaughters. He does have two daughters, though.

Hi Christine,

My prayers are answered, I was a schoolpal of Kathleen, we always walked home from school together. What a story I could tell you.!!!!

I often wondered what became of Kathleen & I am delighted to hear from you. If you do come to Ireland please get in touch with me (If I am still here) I will fill in interesting details of your Grandmother's meeting with her husband.

I was often in the house in Delacherois Avenue. Minnie & Annie were devoted aunts of Kathleen & Maureen, who were their World, as indeed my 3 aunts were to me. We will not find their like again but we tried to carry on their tradition. Hence the butter story....

I knew Kathleen & Maureen's father too, a quiet man, also Lily, her husband & son,Maurice, who lived in Grand Street, across the road from my Grandmother's house, where I lived.

Maurice, Lily's son still lives in Roseville Park, Low Rd.Lisburn, as far as I know. Ann will supply you more details of Maurice than me as I now live in Co. Clare in the South of Ireland

I often enquired of news of Kathleen & am delighted to hear from you. Please keep in touch.

Pat Burns (nee Lavery)

Re: *Family Search Help Needed: Hilden* - Pamela

Pamela
Hallo Christine, I know Maurice Magee and Brendan and Maura Fox. I think Maurice still lives in Lisburn. Maybe some of the Low Roaders could help you with that.Brendan Fox still lives in the family home in Lambeg, and Maura lives in the South. Hope this helps. Regards Pamela

Hi Pamela, thank you for your reply!
Do you happen to know where in the south Maura lives? Even definitively which county?
Do you still have contact information or an address for any of the 3 cousins? If so would you be willing to ask them if I could have their email or mailing address?

Christine

Re: *Family Search Help Needed: Hilden* - Ann

Ann
Christine, my sister Pat will be able to help with a lot of your questions. I know that she would remember Kathleen and Maureen Maguire (as they were). I myself can recall a tall girl with fair curly hair who was one of the Maguire sisters. She must have been the younger one. Maurice Magee is alive and well and lives in Roseville Estate Lisburn. He and his wife, Tilly, have two daughters, one a solicitor. The second daughter is still studying as far as I know. Two lovely girls anyhow. That's about all I can tell you.

Hi Ann, thank you for your reply!

Of the pictures I have, it looks like, even as children, Maureen had the lighter hair out of her and my grandmother. (Not that there are many pictures from when they were younger, most of the pictures are Maureen in her 20s.)

May I ask what Roseville Estate is? I tried to search Roseville Estate Lisburn online and it came up with properties on Roseville Park; is that the same thing?
Do you still live in the area & happen to know his exact address, so that I may send him a letter? Or willing to contact him to ask if he would be interested in communicating with me via letters, phone, or internet (email, skype, etc) ?

Thank you again!
Christine

Re: *Family Search Help Needed: Hilden* - Pat

Pat
Hi Christine,
My prayers are answered, I was a schoolpal of Kathleen, we always walked home from school together. What a story I could tell you.!!!!
I often wondered what became of Kathleen & I am delighted to hear from you. If you do come to Ireland please get in touch with me (If I am still here) I will fill in interesting details of your Grandmother's meeting with her husband.
I was often in the house in Delacherois Avenue. Minnie & Annie were devoted aunts of Kathleen & Maureen, who were their World, as indeed my 3 aunts were to me. We will not find their like again but we tried to carry on their tradition. Hence the butter story....
I knew Kathleen & Maureen's father too, a quiet man, also Lily, her husband & son,Maurice, who lived in Grand Street, across the road from my Grandmother's house, where I lived.
Maurice, Lily's son still lives in Roseville Park, Low Rd.Lisburn, as far as I know. Ann will supply you more details of Maurice than me as I now live in Co. Clare in the South of Ireland
I often enquired of news of Kathleen & am delighted to hear from you. Please keep in touch.
Pat Burns (nee Lavery)

Hi Pat! This is so exciting!

I would love to hear any and all stories you are willing to share!!

I'm not sure what you heard or when the last time you talked to her was, but she came back to Ireland in 1960 to visit her aunts and brought my mother & her two brothers. She, my grandpa, Maureen and 3 friends came to Ireland for, I believe, a 10 day tour throughout Ireland in 2002. As you read, she left at 18 and married at 19. She had 2 boys and 2 girls. Unfortunately, her youngest daughter Monica, was hit by a car & died at 5 years old.
My uncle Mike was in the US Air force & is retired. He never married or had children and lives with my grandpa. My uncle Steve has been married 3 times, had 2 children early on. My mother had 4 children. My oldest sister, Melissa, is married with 2 little boys (3 and 5 years old) and an 18 year old step daughter.
I think her and my grandpa traveled in the US when they could and bought a condo in Destin, Florida when I was young. So, for as long as I could remember, they when down there January-February/March every winter.
Unfortunately, my grandmother passed April 3, 2014. She suffered from Dementia and scleroderma for many years prior to her death.

I kick myself now for not asking more about their family and about Ireland while her and Maureen were still alive. Unfortunately, they very last few year for both of them, it was hard to have any sort of conversation between the Dementia and hearing loss.

It is funny that you remember their dad as well, as "a quiet man". In the letter I received in return from Maureen's friend Irene, she remembered him as "a lovely quiet man". He must have been very quiet! Did you ever hear him speak?

The picture I mentioned about a relative in Barrow was first shown to me when I was around 13 years old. When I first caught a glance of it I thought they were all playing a prank on me. I asked how they got my face on this old picture. I thought it was some sort of fancy Photoshop. I remember asking them who it was after they told me it wasn't my face. Neither one of them knew/ remember. All they knew is that it was a relative. Even though I have always wanted to know since then, I never pushed either one of them for more/ other information, unfortunately. Hence, why I am determined to find other family members before I lose that opportunity as well. Trying to limit my regrets!

I would love to keep in touch! :D

Feel free to use the email address I posted on here: bourgholtzerc@gmail.com

Christine

Christine, great that you have been given so
much information. Regarding Maurice,s address,if you wish I can get in touch with him and let him know that you wish to contact him. Funningly enough one of his granddaughters is called Melissa. Roseville estate is a housing development in the Low Road. I,m confident that you will be very successful in finding answers to
a lot of your questions as there are so many people
still living who remember your grandmother and the family.

Ann
Christine, great that you have been given so

much information. Regarding Maurice,s address,if you wish I can get in touch with him and let him know that you wish to contact him. Funningly enough one of his granddaughters is called Melissa. Roseville estate is a housing development in the Low Road. I,m confident that you will be very successful in finding answers to

a lot of your questions as there are so many people

still living who remember your grandmother and the family.

Ann,

I owe a lot to Maureen for keeping so many pictures and cards/letters and to Maureen's best friend Marilyn. Maureen and Marilyn ended up living together since the early or mid 60s until Maureen's death. Neither married and they both worked at the Archdiocese in Cincinnati. Marilyn has been around since before I was born, so she is like another great aunt to me. She has helped me form some sort of timeline and given me whatever stories & information she could remember Maureen telling her. I have also gotten information from the Internet and Maureen's old friend and neighbor, Irene. Now I will owe a lot to several people on here!!

I actually received an email from Ted who has seen this thread. He just emailed me an address on Roseville Walk, so if that is the same address then I have it now. I'm not sure if you're in the area, but if you are maybe it wouldn't hurt to warn him.
If not, I think I will just send him a letter and hopefully he has information and is willing to help!

I first looked at your post on my phone and I sent a screenshot to my sister. Melissa, as I knew she would, loved the name coincidence.
[She is very interested in my search and the family information/ pictures I have. I first mentioned it a few months ago. Unfortunately, with 2 young boys, she hasn't gotten a chance to see everything I have so far. I knew she would love & be excited about the name & to hear that I'm talking to people in Ireland who knew Maureen and our grandmother.]

Thank you for your help and positive premonition for my family search

Christine

Re: *Family Search Help Needed: Hilden* - Pat

Christine,

Sorry to hear Kathleen passed away to her reward R.I.P she was a lovely person & we had some good times at school & shortly before she met your Grandpa.

It was wonderful for her she met & married her American date, as did Renee Beatty, whose mother arranged the meeting, so as your Grandpa would have a girl of his own while in Lisburn.

Did Renee & Kathleen travel together to America for Renee's wedding. I met my future husband around then & I naturally lost touch with them tho' I remember them going away.

The years were taken up with Marriage & having 6 children (3 boys &3 girls) all still with us thank God. You may see the photos on Facebook taken recently, when our youngest daughter her husband & family were here, from Canada, for her 50th Birthday in November 2015. Google Patricia Burns (co Clare Ireland) or Brona Foster(Shelburne Canada)

I will keep in touch but in the meantime still delighted to catch up with an old schoolpal & friend's life in America.

Pat

Next time I meet Brendan Fox I will get some details for you. Good luck, Pamela

My last three messages have been spammed, I quote....The information in this post contains "spam" and cannot be submitted.

Beano

Go figure!!!!!!!

Pamela
Next time I meet Brendan Fox I will get some details for you. Good luck, Pamela

Thank you Pamela!

Re: *Family Search Help Needed: Hilden* - Beano

Beano
My last three messages have been spammed, I quote....The information in this post contains "spam" and cannot be submitted.

Beano

Hi Beano,

If you knew any of my family and had information or anything to add please feel free to email me! :)

email address: bourgholtzerc@gmail.com

Christine

Hi Christine,

I had written how much I enjoyed the whole post, and that I could actually feel Pat's delight on hearing from you. You must be delighted yourself to get such a reaction. The only other input I had, was I remember Maurice Magee, "ciggy" as he was called, from soccer days and that was in the 50s. Best of luck with the rest of your search.

Beano

Christine,I sent an email to you this morning on the address you gave but it came back to me. I phoned Maurice this morning also and explained about your interest in finding out about the family. He now knows to expect a letter from you.

Ann
Christine,I sent an email to you this morning on the address you gave but it came back to me. I phoned Maurice this morning also and explained about your interest in finding out about the family. He now knows to expect a letter from you.

Hi Ann,

Thank you so much for calling him!

Regarding my email address, did you hand-type it or copy & paste? I know Ted had a hard time with my email, but later realized he was missing the "c" at the end of my email. (Just a thought) It should be: bourgholtzerc@gmail.com

I just wrote the letter for Maurice last night. I haven't gone to the post office yet to send it, hopefully I will get there tomorrow, but if not, I will send it Thursday.

Christine