Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Catching up on the Forum News

I haven't been on my laptop since Christmas Eve so I have a lot of catching up to do. I enjoyed reading all the posts, some of them sad. I knew Ted's sister Catherine very well indeed, spent a short time in hospital with her years ago, and, as Ted said, I could hear big Catherine coming towards my ward before I saw her. May she rest in peace. I have already offered Ted my condolences in a personal e mail.

I also enjoyed hearing about Liz's trip to Lisburn, descriptive and evocative for those away from home.

Those are just the two highlights of the posts, but I'll see later if there's anything else I could be replying to.

Re: Catching up on the Forum News

Christmas is well behind us now, although we're still enjoying chocolates and fudges, etc which are too readily available to resist. I will definitely have to try and lose a bit of weight soon, but not just yet. Still too many dainties to polish off. Christmas, for me, was very busy. I enjoyed the house being full and the company of my family. This year, though, I just found that it was all too much. I was in bed on Christmas night at 8 pm, exhausted. Next year, if I'm spared, I will be changing tactics. Marks & Spencer will reap the benefits, because I will definitely be buying EVERYTHING for Christmas dinner "ready for the oven". Apart from that, it was good to see my youngest daughter again. She and her husband did all clearing of the kitchen after the meals and Dominic and Pete enjoyed having a single malt or two in the evenings. Thank goodness it's all over. That's all I can say. How about the rest of you?

I have found a new game on my Tablet. It's very addictive but I love it. For those who like putting words together, this is ideal. It's called WORD BRAIN. You may get hooked, like me, though. It can be frustrating at times but I thoroughly enjoy it.

To change the subject, spring is just around the corner. All the spring shoots are showing and the nights are beginning to get a little lighter. It's heartening for those of us who like to see the ending of the dark evenings and the arrival of the new season. I enjoy spring. At present everything is just "on the turn" and we're all waiting patiently for the first little crocus or snowdrop to pop its head through the ground to tell us that spring is here.

I didn't see much TV over the Christmas holidays, none at all on Christmas Day. However, thank goodness for the facility of recording programmes. Last night and the previous one too we watched a programme about Frank Sinatra's life, from his very early years before he was married or famous until his old age. It was very interesting and showed clips I had never seen before. His first wife, Nancy, was a very attractive Italian girl, not unlike his later love, Ava Gardner. He was a great singer and has given so much pleasure to all of us over the years that he will be remembered always. He was very much anti-racist and he practised this personally, refusing to stay in hotels where his band members (black) were not welcome. That has to be admired in him.

I was disappointed in Downton Abbey, which I had also recorded. It was great to see all the lovely gowns and jewellery, but the programme to me was just a matter of tying up all the ends.

I have loads of films taped. Goodness knows when I'l get to watch them. I hope you are all well and had a good Christmas and New Year.

Dabbler, how are you doing? You are conspicuous by your absence but I think of you and hope you are well.

Better go and have a shower as it's half past 11. I knew if I didn't make an effort to get the laptop out that it would run into another day, and another day. Things are getting back to normal now so you'll be hearing from me again soon.