Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sentimental journey

Sentimental journey.

Yesterday I was in my element as I walked over the Union Bridge with my husband Pat, down Hancock Street, down the line, past the bridge. We had only got that far in previous visits, but onwards down the towpath to Hilden to Bridge St, over the bridge, past Hilden school with the mill towering over us in its ghostly deserted state. In my mind I heard the buzz, the voices, the women working and noise and the water and heavy machinery. On we went passing the row of bungalows that replaced The Row, where as a child I visited my granny and granda Thompson and aunt Betty, through the playground I went to with my brother Will and then into the Low Road. I hadn't been there for decades, but I enjoyed the experience. Passed Fort Hill where I was one of the first intake in l958, and on up Seymour St. Hard to imagine the Convent not being there, but all change.

I then asked Pat if he minded going to somewhere I had never been. So we visited the Chapel just to see what it was like inside, and to remember we children were afraid to go near it. I was very impressed. There was silence, with just one lady in the pews sitting. I felt the peace and presence of God there and thought it was lovely.

It was windy and wet, but we both loved our experience yesterday. We did fly home latter in the day, happy memories

Liz

Re: Sentimental journey

Hi Liz,

What a nice description of your "Ramble" I really appreciated it. Ending up in St.Patrick's church was a nice touch, every time I hear the name I immediately think of Ann,Pat,Dabbler and Ted all who have mentioned it in past posts.
Thank you.
Beano

Hi Liz < Billy (beano)Pat

A lovely input to the exiles ,of your trip down memory lane ,as the saying goes . Glad you enjoyed your visit to the old home town .
I like yourself ,had grown up ,always wondering about the chapel ,on longstone street . I had spent my childhood playing in Church Street , with Catholic chums ,and enjoyed all the fun of growing up . We all got on well . And I still think of them in later life ,and how they all have got on .
But to come back to my mention of St Patricks Chapel ,a while back I had been taking photos of around Lisburn ,for the forum ,and decided to go into the chapel ,to get some photos ,as some members of the forum ,would like to see them ,as some are living far away .
There was only one gentleman in the chapel ,and as the service had ended ,he was just going home ,and seeing the large camera ,he asked me which newspaper I was from , I assured him I was an amateur ,and I explained my intensions . He said if I would like to come back during the week ,as there was a lot going on , to lighten up our conversation , I told him I was a (PROD) he found this amusing and he said this did not matter .But as I was very busy the following week ,I did not get back to the chapel.
Like yourself Liz ,I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Longstone St Patricks Chapel ,After all the years that have passed .
Regards ,and a HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL ON LISBURN EXILES .

Liz
did you go to the old graveyard behind the Chapel? I went there on my last visit for the first time and was immensely impressed.The founding nuns who came from France from the Convent have a resting place there and also lots of gravestones which were paid for by Migrant children and relations of the deceased can be seen.Another interesting place is the graveyard of the Cathedral, Huguenots and other founders of the town are interned there.
donald

Liz ,Tommy ,Beano, Donald Recently on Black Friday to be exact, We lost our dear sister Catherine I do have six sisters and one of them Lena ! resides in Alice Springs consequently she wasn't able to come home for the funeral , but I remembered the chapel namely St Patrick's Chapel Hill in question had a live Web Cam and I rang Alice Springs advised her to click on the Chapels Web Site then the Live Web Cam and she was able to watch the Catherine's funeral Mass with perfect reception, The point I am trying to get across if anyone at home is getting Married or Buried relations in most parts of the world can click on and join the ceremony, I'm afraid I cant confirm at the moment if the other Lisburn Churches offer these services but technology has really moved on Big Time Regards Ted

PS Liz Loved your ramble Regards ,

Ted, My sincere condolences on the passing of your sister. Mauri

HI Ted & Family

Very sorry to hear the sad news , of your sisters passing . It is all the harder at this time of year .I am sure you have some lovely memories to recall at a later date .
Condolences to your self ,and the family circle .
Regards!
Tommy

Thank you all for your responses. Donald, no I didn't go to the graveyard, but will next time I visit. I have been in the Cathedral graveyard a couple of times, very interesting reading the gravestones there. Also I know the Lambeg churchyard as my relatives are buried there and I was confirmed in the church as a girl. Was there last year for aunt Betty's funeral. I was so pleased that my daughter Claire and her boyfriend were visiting N.I at the time, and thus able to attend the funeral service. It meant a lot to her to be part of the extended family. I have given instructions that when I die my ashes be scattered on the Mourne mountains as that is another place I love.

Liz

Hi Ted,

So sorry to hear of your sister's passing, please accept sincere sympathies on behalf of Doreen and myself.

Bill

Thanks Bill & Doreen, for your sympathy its much appreciated,I hope this finds you settled and well Kind Regards Ted

Hi Tommy & Evelyn Thanks for your condolences as a matter of fact I still find it hard to take in, as for Catherine if you wanted to know anything you rang her and if you wanted anything to be known you also rang her and you usually heard her before you saw her has left a big gap !Regards Ted

sorry to hear of your sad news ted may she Rest In Peace

Thanks Barney, Much Appreciated Regards Ted

Ted, Sorry to hear you have lost one of your sisters.It's a sad time, my brother Seamus died in March past. It dosen;t sink in for a while. My condolences to you and all the family. Pameela

Ted & Pamela,

Condolences on the loss of your sister & brother, a void is left that is never filled. Ted I remember your sister, she was a live wire always in the midst of things, talking to everyone. May they rest in Peace.

Liz,

Very informative description of your walk in Lisburn, I am after watching the Epiphany Mass on the Webcam, the only ones I recognised were Eithne & Dominic tho'I must have known more. Time makes changes to everyone, mostly all white heads in the Church.

Pat

Thanks Pat That was Catherine down to a tee and you would hear her before you would see her ,she has left a big void ,Pat were yous affected greatly by the floods ?was watching the RTE news made for very sad viewing Regards Ted

Ted,

No, not really affected by the floods only we are surrounded by lakes. Swans & seagulls by the score every day.

Our Cottage is on raised ground fortunately so we are fine, tho' the garden is saturated. Two sloping fields, back & front, separate us from the Shannon.

Today is sunny & cold, see by the forecast by the w/end the weather is to improve, hopefully.

Thanks for your enquiry. Pat

, Pat, Thanks for your condolences. I didn't mention Seamus had died on the forum at the time, as I thought no one would remember him says . He lived in England since he was about 18. That just leaves Joe and myself. As your cousin Celia says we are in the departure lounge now. Like Ted I was thinking of you while watching the floods on RTE news. Thank goodness you were safe. Good wishes, Pam

Pat, I have one word too many in that past, don't know how to take it out.(says).Oh well old age I hear you saying.Ha! Ha! Pam

Ted & Pamela, condolences to you and your families on the loss of your sister & brother.
Darryl

Thank-you Darryl, very thoughtful of you. Hope you and all the family are well.Kind regards,Pamela

Morning Darryl,Thanks for your sympathy its very much appreacated,I do hope yourself and the extended family enjoyed the Christmas please wish them well ,Kind Regards Ted