Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Cure

Feb 25, 2015 - 8:43PM

When I was a lad my mammy had the cure for a dropped palate.
Another lady in the street had the cure for styes and yet another had the cure for headaches, I think.
Does anyone else remember these medical "miracle workers"?

[moved from other forum]

Re: The Cure

Lowroader
I remember Mrs Lyness who lived next door to us in 170 Mill St. , she used to " charm " our warts and " sty's ". We were sent there by our parents , she removed her wedding ring and "anointed " these ailments with it. We were not allowed to thank her otherwise the charm would not have worked
. Over 60 years ago.
donald

Hi Lowroader & Donald,

Mrs. Gorman had a cure I think it was for ankle injuries & " a rub of the relic" worked wonders in those days. Wonder why there is not the same faith today, I am working on a relic rub at the moment for my knee, will let you know it goes, it is not so bad today I must admit.

Didn't a MAN say "Faith can move mountains" Pat

pat,
think i've mentioned it before. as a young boy living in mckeown street i fell off the coalhouse roof and did my ankle, it came up like a balloon. my granny took me to mrs irwin in harmony hill whom she knew and she charmed it. much improved i walked back to mckeown street and next day i think was running around as normal. so i believe in ''charming'' however it's done