Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family Bereavement

Well folks you never know whats around the corner?? last Friday I was informed my eldest stepson from my previous marriage had been rushed to hospital,he died that evening.something to do with a blood infection. Stan was born in Lisburn in a house on Young Street and came to Canada when he was only two year old. His natural Father also a Lisburn man served in the RAF and was a survivor of numerous bombing missions over Germany in World War 2. However he was killed in 1951 when his Halifax bomber operating out of Aldergrove on a met flight over the Atlantic exploded off the west coast of Scotland and all the crew were killed. Stan's Mum remarried nearly a year afterward and shortly afterwards immigrated to Canada in 1953. her husband passed away from cancer in 1964.
Stan was only 13 when I met up with his Mum who I had known from my teenage days and 14 when his Mum and I were married a marriage that lasted nearly twenty years before she passed away from cancer He had been in Air Traffic Control since he was 18 years old, a job that he really loved and stuck with it for forty six years and was going to retire next month??. Mauri

Re: Family Bereavement

Mauri,

So sorry to hear of the passing of your Stepson, please accept our deepest sympathies from Doreen and myself.

Billy

Thanks Beano, I think you know or know of the family of Doug Gilmore from Young Street who was in the Navy my late wife Eunice was his sister and the Mother of Stan, her first husband who was killed in the plane explosion was Stanley Black does that ring a bell or maybe you were too young at the time????. Mauri

Hi Mauri Please accept our deepest condolences on the death of your stepson may he RIP Regards Ted

Thank you Ted. Mauri

Mauri, so sorry to hear about the death of your stepson. Dominic and I offer our condolences to you and your family.

Ann, My thanks to you and your husband for your condolences. Mauri

mauri,
very sorry to read your sad news tom

Mauri
Thanks Beano, I think you know or know of the family of Doug Gilmore from Young Street who was in the Navy my late wife Eunice was his sister and the Mother of Stan, her first husband who was killed in the plane explosion was Stanley Black does that ring a bell or maybe you were too young at the time????. Mauri

Hi Mauri,

I do remember Doug and Eunice, but not her son. Doug of course is married to Audrey McNeill from the Hillhall Road, as you know they live in Bramalea or Brampton.

Beano

Mauri, sorry to hear about the passing of your son-in-law. To think he never enjoyed a day of the retirement for which he had worked all those years.
Stan

Tom, Thank you for your condolences,hope your weather has cooled off a bit my cousin in South Australia was telling me how hot and uncomfortable it was. Mauri

Forty Coats, You got my relationship mixed up, he was my stepson not son-in-law but thank you for the thought,hope you and the Mrs are keeping well and all ready for Xmas. Mauri

mauri,
yes it's been very hot. last three four days been 41C, but worse is about 30C at night, makes sleeping a bit trying. fires also in south australia, victoria, and nsw.but cool change came late today and it's more pleasent. but thats melbourne four seasons in one day.

on another subject, do you think we should all do a christmas thank you to jim collins son for keeping the forum going?
tom

Tom, I am not quite sure what you mean by a Xmas thank you, Daryl unlike his Dad Jim seems to keep a very low profile,one would think he would come on occasionaly with some comments. Mauri

My sincere condolences Mauri to and all your family.
Darryl

Mauri
Tom, I am not quite sure what you mean by a Xmas thank you, Daryl unlike his Dad Jim seems to keep a very low profile,one would think he would come on occasionaly with some comments. Mauri

Just noticed this comment. Still here. I dip in and out and enjoy enormously what I read. :-)

FYI I am highly active behind the scenes of the site and I am planning some large changes early in the New Year. I probably should have made them earlier, but to be honest I didn't have the necessary skills and knowledge to make the changes I felt were needed to move the site to a new platform to make maintenance and updating significantly easier. I will be posting some details on this forum in the coming weeks to gather support and suggestions for the move. For the moment I'm very busy with shipping large amounts of data around the place! ;-)

Mauri,

Busy with visitors so just on the Forum today, reading the news online.

Our sympathy to you on the loss of your stepson, so sad at Christmas time for all the family, especially his wife & children

May he rest in peace & may you & Joy have a peaceful Christmas.

Pat

Daryl, Thank you for your condolences, and thank you for your activity behind the scenes. Your Dad and I grew up together in the same area and I knew his whole family his sister Iris and parents Issac &
Doreen who when I was a kid I often worked for in the Grocery Store on the message bike and along with Artie Doherty in the old humber pick up and Bedford truck,keep up the good work. Mauri

Pat, Thank you so much for your condolences Stan's [passing was certainly unexpected. Joy says Hi and glad to hear things are starting to look better around your area re the floods. Have a Very Merry Xmas and Happy New Year. Mauri

I still think of Granda Isaac and Nanny Doreen's house in Tonagh Park! My brother and I were practically brought up their we spent so much time with them at a certain age. Just round from the chip shop - great at the time, but not great for my weight over the years!
Darryl