Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hilden-mill-goes-back-on-the-market-again

This may interest some, with a lovely photo of the mill taken from Tullynacross, only hope it gets off the ground this time
donald

http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/news/lisburn-news/hilden-mill-goes-back-on-the-market-again-1-7096933

Re: Hilden-mill-goes-back-on-the-market-again

Donald, saw the piece about the mill. Now, if anyone has a spare million and a half they can buy the mill, 24 acres of land with it.

no doubt the polititions and nama be rubbing their hands together on this sale

Having spent many very happy years working in Barbours, it will be interesting for myself and Pat to see what becomes of the old workplace. We were young then and we both enjoyed our jobs. Lots of memories of nice people, decent bosses and all-in-all, some of the best times of our lives. We just didn't realise then that those years
would count as a very big chapter in both our lives.

No doubt the asking price is much less than a few years ago, now it´s a buyer´s market. The price of the ground and buildings will only be a pittance to what must be invested to make it habitable.
donald

Ann & all,

If things were normal it would be lovely to live in an apartment in the "Big Office" building in Hilden but unfortunately things changed over the years & it is impossible to go back to those carefree times. Memories were tainted in the Troubles forever.

I live in a peaceful isolated cottage now with my happy memories. Surrounded by water at the moment,as Ardnacrusha Dam has had to release tons of water & flooding is from Lim;erick to Athlone. Like living on a small island, but nevertheless lovely to look out at the swans & seagulls sailing by the fields around us.

The Lagan on a larger scale, the Shannon has overflowed its banks with all the torrential rain lately & more forecast, with high winds. We certaintly have come through the Mill so nothing fazes us.

Pat

Pat
I remember the outside steps leading from the 6th and 5th floor of the "old mill" down to the 4th. The view was breathtaking overlooking the Lagan canal and river. My parents both worked there as did almost all of my family. Does anyone out there know how the rebuilding of Bridge St is progressing? Is Hilden school still standing?
donald

Donald, I haven't been down in Hilden recently so cannot give

you any info about the building work. Christmas is almost upon us and I'm still shopping. Tomorrow I hope to get the local cards written and

posted. Always plenty to do these days. That's why I'm not on just as often. I hope the Lowercase brother is well. Talk to you later.