Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
What I like about Westerns

I am truly ground today with a cold. My voice has gone down several octaves (much nicer than my normal voice), I am sniffing, sneezing and tired. However, I did cook the chicken but have left Dominic to do everything else today. Because I am housebound, I have been watching old movies which I recorded. I like Westerns and have been enjoying one or two. Old movies from 1955/56 with Rhonda Fleming, Ronald Reagon, John Payne and all those old stars. Great movies. What makes them a bit corny was when someone, like Debra Paget, suffered an arm injury which turned gangrenous. This happened out in the plains, no doctors, no hot water, nothing. Did she die? Not at all. Anthony Quinn, her partner, was with her. He lit a fire, scorched a knife, poured some whiskey over the infected arm, cut out the dead skin, while Debra yelled her head off. He then ripped off a bit of her petticoat, patched her up and told her she would be fine. You have to laugh but that's what made those films so good. The goodies always won and the baddies were killed and nothing could be taken seriously. Great stuff.

Re: What I like about Westerns

Ann
I remember in the matinee in Lisburn Picture House on Saturdays when the Cavalry bugler blew the attack and us kids cheered. Then on the way home skelping our horses asses down the Lowroad.
donald

Donald, I remember watching musicals, coming home and pretending to be the star of the film. The others would be in the chorus. I also remember acting out Nyoka in the school playground. In case it was before your time, Nyoka was the jungle girl.

Hi all,

Wonderful time, the old Cinema in Lisburn was our Wonderland.

Doris Day we all imitated & dressed like after films like "Pillow Talk". "Calamity Jane" & "Seven Brides for Seven brothers" was the reason for the long long queue way round to Gramham's Gardens. " Then Audrey Hepburn was another favourite, her hairstyle was copied & her dress imitated widely after Breakfast at Tiffany's.

She still is a favourite, saw a Christmas set on Saturday, with her photo on the box, called Audrey Hepburn cosmetics or such like, for sale in a shop.

Westerns were the boys films, Roy Rodgers was a favourite for us girls. Nowadays the younger generation do not know what they missed in our innocent days .No romance now, the magic has gone.

Pat

Pat
what a sinful lot those brazen actress hussies were then, always displaying bags of ankle!
donald

My memories of the line ups at Lisburn Picture House are mostly of during the war. With the blackout restrictions eg.no sreet lights and thick black out curtains at the entrance, in winter time it was quite an experience especially with Sticky Sloan bellowing when the line started to move. As I was going to night school in Belfast twice or three times a week my Picture House visits were very limited mostly on Saturday night if I could afford it???? Mauri

Re The Picture House, I should have added that sometime in the mid 60s I was in Lisburn on leave and saw that the movie the "Longest Day" was showing so went on my own to see it and sat in the balcony, looking around who wss sitting in the front row but Sticky Sloan himself by now obviously retired but still looked the same to me?? Mauri

the picture house was great fun. when young we used to queque in haslems lane to get into the pit. when the door opened it was like a football match crowd, pushing and shoving. sometime the police were there to keep order we were like donald after a western, riding our horse at full gallop the whole way home, using an imaginary whip.
and pat, i agree fully with you. i think our generation growing up had the best time of all when young.out and about wee park wallace park, swimming at maze, ravarnett.
nowadays they seem to be all sitting around playing with tablets etc.

Hi Tom I think you mean Grahams Gardens across from Mc Cahays? Garage as a matter of fact one night in that queue I got a belt in the ear from Constable Rooney he actually swung at another chacter but I caught it and it was still ringing when I got into the Pit 'would you remember Davie Jones coming round in his car and he parked it in the yard to the left of the Pit entrance':They we're the days my friend :Regards Ted

Hi Tom ,Ted ,Donald ,All

It was lovely to hear about the input ,about the good old days .Regarding the Westerns ,we all of us young lads ,must have done the same things ,such as Donald says ,skelping our back sides on the way home .A lovely memories , which will never die .Funny when we think of it ,we must have all came in contact with each other ,regarding the standing waiting to get into the pit .Now we are being in touch ,in later life .
Tried to reply to Donald,s input ,but did not go ,fingers crossed for this try .

thanks ted. of course it was grahams gardens memory's going?
i knew davy jones and his wee car. he lived in antrim place? [buggy row] and i lived in mckeown street. my aunt jinny lived in buggy row and i used to go there often. davy used to stand outside the first house on the right.us kids used to play handball etc on the concrete apron outside the[ buroou.] he was out and about there.
as tommy remarked, really happy days, not a care.

Tom Living were you were 'would you remember Kitty Rooney who lived in Antrim St and worked in Stewarts Mill she was my Grandfathers sister and I faintly remember being in the house a couple of times and I also when working for Felix Elmore bringing knives to be sharpened by a man not far from were Kitty lived ,this would have been the early 50s Regards Ted

Ted
the "knife sharpener" would have been McCrackin the "saw doctor" who lodged with a family named Close in Antrim St.
I remember bringing my Grandfather´s saw to him to be sharpened. He had a workshop at the rear of the houses which could be reached by an entry facing the Bookies.
donald

Morning Donald, Mc Cracken's the man right enough down the narrow entry he had a shed with all parfinaly lying everywhere,I'm just thinking Donald was the bookies there then ?as I'm thinking Misson Hall at one time in that vicinity, as a matter of fact a couple of years ago a book was written by Lisburn author named Patterson his first name evades me at the moment but his relation lived opposite and he held the keys to the mission hall, I'm just thinking Tom anyone from that area might find the book interesting . I will come back with the Title and author, actually any one from the town in the 50s--60s would enjoy it. Regards Ted

The Book In Question,
Once upon a Hill, Love in Troubled Times By Glenn Patterson See Amazon !
Regards Ted

Ted
Morning Donald, Mc Cracken's the man right enough down the narrow entry he had a shed with all parfinaly lying everywhere,I'm just thinking Donald was the bookies there then ?as I'm thinking Misson Hall at one time in that vicinity, as a matter of fact a couple of years ago a book was written by Lisburn author named Patterson his first name evades me at the moment but his relation lived opposite and he held the keys to the mission hall, I'm just thinking Tom anyone from that area might find the book interesting . I will come back with the Title and author, actually any one from the town in the 50s--60s would enjoy it. Regards Ted

Ted
the bookies was there in the 50s, McKee?. Next door was the Bureau and the National Assistance, those who were so inclined had not far to go on Fridays.A well known Snooker player worked there.
donald

Donald Was it Harry by any chance ?The Snooker player I mean !

Ted
correct
donald

ted,
I've heard the name kitty Rooney a few times when there, but don't think i ever spoke to her. i was quite young then. it was the bureau concrete area we used to play on, i was using the phonetic spelling. i,ve taken the book title and author and will see amazon regards

I ordered it from Amazon yesterday, a used example for £0,1 plus £4,50 postage!!!
donald

Donald & Tom I do hope the book comes up to expectations, Glen Patterson's writings have in the past caused some controversy but a great writer in my opinion Enjoy Regards Ted

Donald don't tell me it was Hardback ?

Ted
let you know when it arrives, I,m hoping for that amount of cash it will be accompanied by the latest Kindle.
donald

Ted, what is the book about?

Second time I've been spammed for telling you about a good western I watched yesterday.

Ted
The Book In Question,

Once upon a Hill, Love in Troubled Times By Glenn Patterson See Amazon !

Regards Ted

The book arrived on Friday, a used example for £0,01 plus a fiver postage. Am getting well into it.
Have a grammatical question for all out there " Why do we not use "an " before used? We say "an " example but not "an" used example despite U and E both being Vowels ?
donald

Hi Donald.I do hope you find the book interesting ,regarding the grammar I am afraid I would have no input at all on that subject I am sure Anastasia would be more qualified were grammer is discussed ,regarding the book was it hardback for a wing ?Regards Ted

Ted
it was a pocket book but as good as new. It´s a little difficult to get in to as he leaves out surnames and I must go back to see who he means.
donald

Donald that could be an age thing as I frequently have the same problem with some books more than others ,Donald I still return to the mission hall in Question that was of like a corrugated tin construcion and possible in red and situated were the bookies is situated today ? I wonder would Mauri remember the building in question and its early use Regards Ted

Donald, without going into the whole complicated use of grammar, the use of "a" or "an" before a noun depends on the first letter of the noun. I mean, it would sound wrong to say "a" elephant.

Donald I forgot about "an". Again, without the whole discussion about
use of "a" and "an", it depends on the sound of the following word. You would say "an" hour, even though "h" is a consonant. Just try saying "a" hour. Doesn't sound right. I hope this helps a bit.

1 2